Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

The lockdown here has no teeth, look what the Aussies are doing forced quarantine in expensive police hotels just for interstate travel. At the same time, today Monday, a family I know with kids are traveling from Ireland to the UK for Christmas holidays, planning to return on a repatriation ferry in time for school. Australia has a tiny amount of Covid compared to Ireland.

Its stupid to think that, without an Aussie style lockdown, the new strain will not be here and spreading in days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    The lockdown here has no teeth, look what the Aussies are doing forced quarantine in expensive police hotels just for interstate travel. At the same time, today Monday, a family I know with kids are traveling from Ireland to the UK for Christmas holidays, planning to return on a repatriation ferry in time for school. Australia has a tiny amount of Covid compared to Ireland.

Its stupid to think that, without an Aussie style lockdown, the new strain will not be here and spreading in days.

The biggest mistake we made over the past few months is the lack of enforcement of quarantine. We had months to organise it. Would be fairly sure it's here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Realistically, anyone who doesn't think it isn't already here is stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I find it remarkably uncanny that this panic is coinciding with the breakdown in Brexit talks?

O'Neill wrote: »
    There was a huge rise of cases in Donegal/Derry in September and October in contrast to March. I wonder if this this could have been the new variant?

Yeah because people are always hopping from Kent to Derry on a regular basis.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

paddythere wrote: »
    The new strain is already in Ireland, lets be realistic. The real question is why haven't we identified it here yet? It seems implausible to me that it is "out of control" in the UK and present in other European countries but somehow it is not in Ireland

Yeah Arlene seems to think it's in the North. She mentioned there were 'different geneology' but they are not confirmed. I can't help but think that she would say this so as to not have to implement travel restrictions themselves. No surrender etc. We are going to get punished for their **** decision making. We'll get lumped with them and be banned from travelling to anywhere because we have a border that is not a border. Complete failure on both sides of the imaginary fvcking line.

I thought travel restrictions don't work anyway? Suddenly now a year into this we've decided to suspend the common travel area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've just had a thought, what do respiratory viruses love, what's different now than let's say June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

hmmm wrote: »

Who is that person and where is he getting his information from?

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Who is that person and where is he getting his information from?
    He is one of the main writers for Science magazine on the pandemic.

Nervtag or one of the other UK acronyms have just finished a press briefing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hmmm wrote: »
    He is one of the main writers for Science magazine on the pandemic.

Nervtag or one of the other UK acronyms have just finished a press briefing.

Theres an awful lot of road left to go in this yet. I still think the UK may have jumped the gun claiming 70% more effective in terms of spread, there just isn't enough evidence yet.

There is also the suggestion now that a deletion in ORF8 may cause a better immune response against the strain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭volchitsa

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Yeah because people are always hopping from Kent to Derry on a regular basis.:rolleyes:

It’s not just Kent though it’s London and the southeast. lots of people in Derry have family in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

I've just had a thought, what do respiratory viruses love, what's different now than let's say June.
    Christmas shopping. Then Christmas drinks and food with all the cousins, aunts and nieces.

volchitsa wrote: »
    It’s not just Kent though it’s London and the southeast. lots of people in Derry have family in London.

As I said earlier a friend of mine has taken his family from Kerry to London area (T4) TODAY. No issues at all travelling to the UK even now and coming back on the ferry.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I find it remarkably uncanny that this panic is coinciding with the breakdown in Brexit talks?
    Well if that were the case, someone should tell BJ given he's pressing ahead and not looking for an extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

As I said earlier a friend of mine has taken his family from Kerry to London area (T4) TODAY. No issues at all travelling to the UK even now and coming back on the ferry.

You neighbour might well face some issues by the time he returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Theres an awful lot of road left to go in this yet. I still think the UK may have jumped the gun claiming 70% more effective in terms of spread, there just isn't enough evidence yet.

There is also the suggestion now that a deletion in ORF8 may cause a better immune response against the strain

Here is the research refered to from the twit thread re orf8 for those interested

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168170220308170

embraer170 wrote: »
    You neighbour might well face some issues by the time he returns.

I agree, then I see they are putting on extra services UK - Ireland to help people get home. If you go on the Irish ferries website you can book a return now, I just tried coming back on Jan 4th, no issues booking.

De Gascun - "we haven’t seen the evidence for the transmission rate of the new strain."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some people really do need to have their heads examined.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    Well if that were the case, someone should tell BJ given he's pressing ahead and not looking for an extension.

I don't know, but it is a huge coincidence.

It suits the Irish Gubbermint also, it certainly is a nice blamehound for cancelling travel and from a media perspective it could not come quick enough PR wise. They can blame everything now on the "new strain", it is nice big schtick to waive around.

I just hope Santa is able to deliver all the pressies now?

Clowns like these deserve to be stranded over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Remarkable "coincidence" alright :cool:

Dirty tricks by the EU?

Well I guess if one is into conspiracy theories then this might well be some people's new hobby horse. Remarkable coincidence for sure, but I guess it's nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I don't know, but it is a huge coincidence.

It suits the Irish Gubbermint also, it certainly is a nice blamehound for cancelling travel and from a media perspective it could not come quick enough PR wise. They can blame everything now on the "new strain", it is nice big schtick to waive around.

I just hope Santa is able to deliver all the pressies now?

The panic though has been driven by the British Govt. Johnson's approach over the last few days was a master class in accelating accelerating a sense of panic about this variant.

They basically shi7 their pants on TV over it.

That's not to say that all is well with this variant, if it's as virulent as England said, then a massive surge is coming.

Danzy wrote: »
    The panic though has been driven by the British Govt. Johnson's approach over the last few days was a master class in accelating accelerating a sense of panic about this variant.

They basically shi7 their pants on TV over it.

And his guff today that WTO terms are more than enough. Well then why bother with any talks ya pleb.

Dirty tricks by the EU?

Well I guess if one is into conspiracy theories then this might well be some people's new hobby horse. Remarkable coincidence for sure, but I guess it's nothing more than that.

There are new strains of this virus being mutated by the hour.

I am not a whacko, or a nutjob, I just find that from a PR perspective and how it fits with borh EU and Uk agendas it is highly convenient to have lockdown as opposed to a Brexit Shambles, it certainly has the headlines.

By the time i have posted this post the virus will have mutated again.

It also suits the domestic policies of all countries to lockdown over Christmas.

Finally it is more common for viral mutations to weaken or diversify its 'traits. Magically this new strain is somehow worse? It's a bit of a perfect storm imo, it kind of reminds me of the Friday evening finger wagging that has been going on since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

There are new strains of this virus being mutated by the hour.

I am not a whacko, or a nutjob, I just find that from a PR perspective and how it fits with borh EU and Uk agendas it is highly convenient to have lockdown as opposed to a Brexit Shambles, it certainly has the headlines.

By the time i have posted this post the virus will have mutated again.

It also suits the domestic policies of all countries to lockdown over Christmas.

Finally it is more common for viral mutations to weaken or diversify its 'traits. Magically this new strain is somehow worse? It's a bit of a perfect storm imo, it kind of reminds me of the Friday evening finger wagging that has been going on since March.

Im not arguing with you, and I know what you mean, but it must be a coincidence, right?

...and I don't think you're a nutjob or a loon.

Nothing would surprise me these days.

Dirty tricks by the EU?

The UK came out and said they were dealing with a "mutant" super-Covid that out-of-the-blue had plunged the country into a new Level 4 lockdown and forced Christmas to be cancelled. This on the back of a bit of modelling with "moderate" confidence.

The only panic was from the UK. The rest of the world rightly said "we'll just take a time-out for a few days while you sort yourself out". Correct reaction, unfortunate for Ireland however as we are being lumped in with the incompetent UK handling of this entire pandemic.

Interesting from WHO, De Gascun this evening also not convinced nor Prof Nolan, no evidence given yet.
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1341091171083444224?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Boris Johnson doesn't benefit from this variant. He probably is now damaged politically beyond repair, the man who killed Christmas for South East England. Massive damage to his party as well.

That's before one even starts on the economic damage.

It's real tin hat to think this was planned or that it benefits anyone, anywhere.

Advertisement