Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I’ve come to London also, to see out the rest of lockdown. Drove Sunday night and no border controls or roadblocks / police presence anywhere. And London seems much like normal. Non essential retail and pubs are closed (but the definition of ‘essential’ is obviously broader). But everywhere is doing takeout, plenty are out and about working, and traffic volumes are not far off normal. Government is saying that there won’t be roadblocks this time around....just an advisory police presence

Tbh it doesn’t really feel like much of a lockdown to me.

I would agree, there appears to be no enforced lockdown. I see the Aussies have stamped out that outbreak in days with their lockdown on steroids, it does show what can be done when swift sharp action is taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    The family from my village who left for London have just arrived (he sent me an email). They drove from Kerry to London Sunday/yesterday, crossing on the ferry, he said at no point was he asked about his trip or indeed saw any form of boarder control on his trip.

Their issue will hopefully be when they are traveling home.

Their issue will hopefully be when they are traveling home.

I hope so, he's hoping to be back in time for school, I have no confidence that he wont just be able to jump on one of the repatriation ferries !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I hope so, he's hoping to be back in time for school, I have no confidence that he wont just be able to jump on one of the repatriation ferries !

You'll have to keep us updated.

You'll have to keep us updated.

I will do.

• Advertisement

My understand is that while that are only 2 repatriation flights, Irish residents currently in the UK short term will be able to get any ferry if they notify the body that is arranging the repatriations. I’m guessing will have to supply evidence of Irish residency. And then will do the usual passenger locator form and restrict movements. I don’t think they’d have a problem getting back.....just is slightly more admin to the booking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

First rescue flight this evening from Stansted, €95 per person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Yuser.

First rescue flight this evening from Stansted, €95 per person.

How many people would need to be rescued?

Shouldn't be many

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

For the people thinking that BoJo might have made this up. There are around 10-15 people with PhDs in their field have put their name to this research a day before BoJo said anything.
    It's not impossible but a bit more unlikely that all these people who have dedicated their life to research are going to risk it all not for some political maneuver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I came to Boards asking for advice as I was confused. It is now clear to me that I ought stay in the UK which of course I am going to do. No need to call me names, and enjoy your cup of self-righteousness with your Christmas dinner at home with family.
    Don't take replies here too personally.
    This has been sprung on ordinary people like yourself out of the blue and believe me the majority of people have sympathy with you.
    We'll all get over this so hang on in and keep the blackdog away!
    Get yourself the makings of a good xmas dinner, lots of chocs and goodies and plonk/beer and zoom/dial into your family

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

GarIT wrote: »
    For the people thinking that BoJo might have made this up. There are around 10-15 people with PhDs in their field have put their name to this research a day before BoJo said anything.
    It's not impossible but a bit more unlikely that all these people who have dedicated their life to research are going to risk it all not for some political maneuver.

He has not made anything up. There is a mutation and it is absolutely verifiable.

But his PR team have decided to use it as a smokescreen for the Brexit shambles.

It is a perfect excuse for the tailbacks and port hold ups.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Don't take replies here too personally.
    This has been sprung on ordinary people like yourself out of the blue and believe me the majority of people have sympathy with you.
    We'll all get over this so hang on in and keep the blackdog away!
    Get yourself the makings of a good xmas dinner, lots of chocs and goodies and plonk/beer and zoom/dial into your family

Please don't feed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He has not made anything up. There is a mutation and it is absolutely verifiable.

But his PR team have decided to use it as a smokescreen for the Brexit shambles.

There have been people claims both that BoJo invented it to get a Brexit extension and that he invented it to force a hard Brexit.

They'd have to be thinking a few steps ahead to plan hyping this to get people to stop travel to them.

There have been people claims both that BoJo invented it to get a Brexit extension and that he invented it to force a hard Brexit.

They'd have to be thinking a few steps ahead to plan hyping this to get people to stop travel to them.

Who's been suggesting that ?? Personally not seen anyone saying they've made it up for brexit, it shows them their Brexit plans for the ports are a bit fecked though. That's just silly talk though to say they made it up. Its definitely not made up but many questions still surrounding it

People will claim all sorts. I am sure I am being presumed a fantasist as I type.

But I cannot cow to this one, it is glaringly obvious.

As I said Priti Patel must have said the word " virus " 50 times in a 10 minute interview this morning on Sky News. BBC are in full Christmas mode with the films etc, all current affairs programmes are off for the time being.

Total Brexit smokescreen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So this new strain attaches to those ACE2 receptors more easily. Makes me think that those that were getting away asymptomatically might not get away being asymptomatic anymore.

There’s no doubt about the growth in the R number. There are still many however (including yesterday the WHO and our own cillian de gascun) saying that the evidence behind the 70% increase in transmissibility is not there, and that some of the increase is likely behavioural. There seems to be some debate about that

But the more widely accepted narrative is that Boris seized on the 70% number in order to justify the restrictions rather than just being bold and putting in place the restrictions anyway because they were the right thing to do. He is such a populist and seems to have pathological desire to he liked, that he needed an excuse for the bad news. And that communication and messaging has bitten him in the ass with the international reaction.

So this new strain attaches to those ACE2 receptors more easily. Makes me think that those that were getting away asymptomatically might not get away being asymptomatic anymore.

Not necessarily, there's also a deletion which may cause less illness. All too early to say really, long way to go on this over the next few weeks

Who's been suggesting that ?? Personally not seen anyone saying they've made it up for brexit, it shows them their Brexit plans for the ports are a bit fecked though. That's just silly talk though to say they made it up. Its definitely not made up but many questions still surrounding it

I think they have. I think that mutations are a simple fact of any virus. All you need is a few civil servant biochemists to confirm a mutation and let the propaganda machine take over the rest, it is no biggie.

The coincidence with Kent being the largest county of transmissions and 25 mile tailbacks on the Dover road is simply too much for me to swallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Yuser.

Who does this blockade benefit most?

Presumably the frenchies as they instigated it

Or were the British thinking a move ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I came to Boards asking for advice as I was confused. It is now clear to me that I ought stay in the UK which of course I am going to do. No need to call me names, and enjoy your cup of self-righteousness with your Christmas dinner at home with family.

I did not call you any names at all. I don't understand your confusion. You knew when you booked the flights that your plan was non-compliant with guidelines and very risky. The current travel ban is irrelevant!

I'm very sorry that you will be on your own. It's awful and it's very sad! I hope you find a way to connect with loved ones.

You know nothing of my own circumstances, so if you don't mind, I'll have a glass of port instead of your suggested beverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

His PR team in that case made a bigger shambles for him and his party in that case.

That's why it's not making sense, having the party and the PM do this as a pr spin. Like sawing off your left leg because you want to distract from a broken right toe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You seem to think they are overstating how contagious this new strain is to distract from their own failings...
    This is unlikely to be true for two reasons, its a humiliating u- turn for Boris. He only agreed it to at a very late stage. He is the man that ruined Christmas in the eyes of many British People. How Boris and his supporters wish they could fast forward to five months now.

Secondly, it would need for the scientific advisers to be complicit. Are they really going to sign off on doctored data for another persons political convenience?

Danzy wrote: »
    His PR team in that case made a bigger shambles for him and his party in that case.

That's why it's not making sense, having the party and the PM do this as a pr spin. Like sawing off your left leg because you want to distract from a broken right toe.

They don't care. They are only in power over a vacuum they created themselves by getting Brexit over the line. But the stark reality is that a hard Brexit makes a shambles of their cross border trade. I am not talking Cavan to Enniskillen here either, that is Mickey Mouse stuff all told.

Those tailbacks are a fact of the real border issues the UK now face. This new strain has come just in time for the Boris Cabal.

You seem to think they are overstating how contagious this new strain is to distract from their own failings...
    This is unlikely to be true for two reasons, its a humiliating u- turn for Boris. He only agreed it to at a very late stage. He is the man that ruined Christmas in the eyes of many British People. How Boris and his supporters wish they could fast forward to five months now.

Secondly, it would need for the scientific advisers to be complicit. Are they really going to sign off on doctored data for someone other persons political convenience?

Firstly your putting words into my mouth there's a difference between questioning and looking for data or coming up with a silly theory that this is all a brexit hoax (which it isn't clearly), I'm on neither side of the fence here, sitting on it waiting for more information much like when the Danish mink issues first cropped up, but ECDC, WHO & other countries all asking for the data from the UK and not forthcoming yet. Many questions still surround the 70% claim, thats my issue with it all, if your going to say it then prove it release your information. All well and good releasing a few pages of a document but whats being asked for its the actual data to be peer reviewed.

I'm not claiming anything, only publish the data for other countries and independent scientists to look at, until then you take what they UK say at face value regarding the 70% which we all do I think and quite clearly by the measures being put in place.

I think they have. I think that mutations are a simple fact of any virus. All you need is a few civil servant biochemists to confirm a mutation and let the propaganda machine take over the rest, it is no biggie.

The coincidence with Kent being the largest county of transmissions and 25 mile tailbacks on the Dover road is simply too much for me to swallow.

to what end?

plenty of facts linked to in this BBC article. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55388846

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Secondly, it would need for the scientific advisers to be complicit. Are they really going to sign off on doctored data for another persons political convenience?

Its a u-turn due to a NEW variant. Or in Boris mind, not a u-turn at all. Thats the point.

I definitely belive he over egged it with the intention being for internal politics only so that he had something to point too other than his own failings.

Anyone who believes Boris is a white night trying to save the world from a new contagion is naive to the point of stupid imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Firstly your putting words into my mouth there's a difference between questioning and looking for data or coming up with a silly theory that this is all a brexit hoax (which it isn't clearly), I'm on neither side of the fence here, sitting on it waiting for more information much like when the Danish mink issues first cropped up, but ECDC, WHO & other countries all asking for the data from the UK and not forthcoming yet. Many questions still surround the 70% claim, thats my issue with it all, if your going to say it then prove it release your information. All well and good releasing a few pages of a document but whats being asked for its the actual data to be peer reviewed.

It seems fairly clear you are skeptical of the data that has been released by the UK to justify the measure taken. I don't think i'm putting words in your mouth by stating that. It just does not make any sense to me that Senior Scientific advisers to the UK government would be prepared to have their reputation thrashed over dodgy data with the eyes of the world on them. They would have carefully analysed the data before arriving at their conclusions. I'm sure they will divulge the information in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Dr Fauci has recommended the US take no action against the UK. Finally a government advisor with a bit of cop on about the complete lack of evidence.

• Advertisement

It seems fairly clear you are skeptical of the data that has been released by the UK to justify the measure taken. I don't think i'm putting words in your mouth by stating that. It just does not make any sense to me that Senior Scientific advisers to the UK government would be prepared to have their reputation thrashed over dodgy data with the eyes of the world on them. They would have carefully analysed the data before arriving at their conclusions. I'm sure they will divulge the information in due course.

Well to start with the confidence interval their using is as wide as a house which suggests noisy data.

Anyway we await the divergence of what's being asked for, just have to wait for it and see what comes.

Advertisement