Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Time to stop flights. It won’t stop everyone travelling, but it’ll easy reduce the amount of new strain virus entering the country, and that will leave us better prepared to stop it spreading

Wont ever happen, Martin couldn't make a decision if his life depended on it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It wasn't in the UK in April. It's September.

So maybe not so sensible.

The first recorded case in the uk is in September.
    The strain itself has been in existence since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Stop asking sensible questions.

One of the slides yesterday at the SAGE press conference showed that this variant occurred in the UK in September. Not March.
    So no, it's not a sensible question.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,385 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Call me Al wrote: »
    One of the slides yesterday at the SAGE press conference showed that this variant occurred in the UK in September. Not March.
    So no, it's not a sensible question.

Well September then, also known as 3 months ago.

Well September then, also known as 3 months ago.

Exactly. 3 months is all it has taken to become the dominant strain running through the UK.

Hence their 534 reported deaths yesterday.

• Advertisement

Exactly. 3 months is all it has taken to become the dominant strain running through the UK.

Hence their 534 reported deaths yesterday.

So the 534 deaths yesterday are linked directly to the different variant.
    Can you back that claim up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Germany considering a ban. France to make decision on air travel and trains later today.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1340620100060278789

I take it the Common Travel Area will be just too sacrosanct for us as usual.

ZX7R wrote: »
    So the 534 deaths yesterday are linked directly to the different variant.
    Can you back that claim up

I'm not going to waste my time arguing nonsense with anyone.
    Maybe take a look at the sage press conference from yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Ireland need to ban those flights/ferries now.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to waste my time arguing nonsense with anyone.
    Maybe take a look at the sage press conference from yesterday.

I did watch it Al
    And nowhere do they directly link all the deaths to the new variant.
    If you want to look at a country
    In relation to the new variant look at south Africa where it is more widespread than the uk there death rate with the new variant is no worse than the rate of deaths before it was recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Irish government to make a statement today on travel to the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I did watch it Al
    In relation to the new variant look at south Africa where it is more widespread than the uk there death rate with the new variant is no worse than the rate of deaths before it was recorded

But more people catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Irish government to make a statement today on travel to the UK

What's interesting is that the Irish government always acts after everyone else has acted.

They shouldn't have to wait to see Europe's response to decide what is best to do to protect Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

j4vier wrote: »
    What's interesting is that the Irish government always acts after everyone else has acted.

They shouldn't have to wait to see Europe's response to decide what is best to do to protect Ireland

I have a funny feeling we'll just get another advice, nothing more will be done.

Donnelly says north will be working more closely this time. I suspect a flight ban possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Just fcuking bribe arlene foster and get stormont on.board....whatever it costs,will be a fraction of what another lockdown will be

Even if Dublin flights were cancelled and Belfast was left open this would still reduce the amount of virus coming in.

We should say we can’t stop flights because of Belfast ... don’t make good the enemy of perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Just fcuking bribe arlene foster and get stormont on.board....whatever it costs,will be a fraction of what another lockdown will be
    When I say Ireland, I mean the whole of Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Donnelly says north will be working more closely this time. I suspect a flight ban possible.

Headline says strong advice, secret code for do nothing. It's a bit too late anyway, most people I know came last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I did watch it Al

It's not the same variant according to this SA doctor.

https://twitter.com/firefoxx66/status/1340359989395861506

• Advertisement

At what point does the north fail (and they have failed) that we put up barriers to travel there?

You can be the biggest United Irelander going but there must come a point where you say enough.

Surely this is not a case we can't do anything with Britain because of the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

At what point does the north fail (and they have failed) that we put up barriers to travel there?

You can be the biggest United Irelander going but there must come a point where you say enough.

Surely this is not a case we can't do anything with Britain because of the north.

We won't going there. We'll ban flights and that'll be it. There's international agreements that guarantee unhindered cross border travel.

It's not the same variant according to this SA doctor.

https://twitter.com/firefoxx66/status/1340359989395861506

The verdict is still out on this.

Headline says strong advice, secret code for do nothing. It's a bit too late anyway, most people I know came last week.

Can give them 12 hours to be out of the country or not let them leave after that.

Cancel flights until march from midnight tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Best thing the EU could do is get the ****ing vaccines going. The only way to stop mutations in this COVID crap is to cut the hosts available for it to replicate and mutate in. I don’t understand why the delay, UK and US already vaccinating and EU counting it’s fingers as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

screamer wrote: »
    Best thing the EU could do is get the ****ing vaccines going. The only way to stop mutations in this COVID crap is to cut the hosts available for it to replicate and mutate in. I don’t understand why the delay, UK and US already vaccinating and EU counting it’s fingers as usual.

D-E-C-I-S-I-O-N T-O-M-O-R-R-O-W!

screamer wrote: »

Because the UK cut corners not sure about the UK but I'd guess the same. We will have the vaccine in a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

This government really doesn't like sundays

I'm sure there's a provision in the common travel area treaty to allow for suspension of frew travel due to public health concerns

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There is thousands of people what cross the border everyday to work,many in essential jobs in dublin,no mind the rest of border counties

What do we do with these

Scotland and Wales have closed their borders I think?
    Is that situation comparable?

Advertisement