Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Surely not freight though? Just passengers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There is thousands of people what cross the border everyday to work,many in essential jobs in dublin,no mind the rest of border counties

What do we do with these

Ban Irish companies from having cross border workers working for them until the 6th.

Or ban yellow reg cars on Irish roads.

They are a conspiracy theorist so I'd want to see the German media reporting it before believing him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Does this mean every EU Member State will be doing the same thing?

Does this mean every EU Member State will be doing the same thing?

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GarIT wrote: »
    They are a conspiracy theorist so I'd want to see the German media reporting it before believing him/her.
    Had a quick peek at Welt, not even a whisper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

True, I wouldn't trust that source much, but I've seen it mentioned in other tweets too.
    Speculation at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Scotland and Wales have closed their borders I think?
    Is that situation comparable?

Persons whose work is deemed Essential are still permitted to travel in and out of both Wales and Scotland.
    Police force in Scotland have already said there will be no police checkpoints or enforcement at Scotland's border

BMJ article on the new variant VUI-202012/01.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

(Is this thread dedicated to the new variant, or just the EU countries response to it?)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

screamer wrote: »
    Best thing the EU could do is get the ****ing vaccines going. The only way to stop mutations in this COVID crap is to cut the hosts available for it to replicate and mutate in. I don’t understand why the delay, UK and US already vaccinating and EU counting it’s fingers as usual.

If you were a virus and someone started shooting, would you mutate to survive or die.
    Covid has had any easy run, now we're lobbing hand grenades at it hoping it'll stand still.
    Nothing changes with the vaccine as far as contagion, self isolation, restrictions etc. Let's just cross our fingers and hope it doesn't behave like us when threatened with extinction.
    Average age of death is close to 90yrs old. Average stay in God's waiting room is 30mts, anyone entering a nursing home in march has 23mts left with a vaccine. It'll be interesting to see how the vaccine helps those people as opposed to shielding them with no vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If you were a virus and someone started shooting, would you mutate to survive or die.
    Covid has had any easy run, now we're lobbing hand grenades at it hoping it'll stand still.
    Nothing changes with the vaccine as far as contagion, self isolation, restrictions etc. Let's just cross our fingers and hope it doesn't behave like us when threatened with extinction.
    Average age of death is close to 90yrs old. Average stay in God's waiting room is 30mts, anyone entering a nursing home in march has 23mts left with a vaccine. It'll be interesting to see how the vaccine helps those people as opposed to shielding them with no vaccine.

Some.of the vaccines have managed to target the way the virus attaches to it's host so it might not be able to mutate to get around that. And there are 6+ vaccines targeting 3+ different aspects of the virus, so it's not looking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BMJ article on the new variant VUI-202012/01.

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4857

(Is this thread dedicated to the new variant, or just the EU countries response to it?)

I guess it could be. I changed the title just for you :)

I guess it could be. I changed the title just for you :)

Thanks Kermit!

I was going to create a new thread, but could not deal with that level of responsibility, so I'm glad you took up the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is it not pointless banning flights and ferries from the UK?
    People will just get ferry or fly into northern Ireland if they are that desperate to get home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

This won't stop the Rathkeale crew who will show up in their Range Rovers bring the new 70% deadlier big into the country.

Including the hospiteals?
    And the schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

If Ireland again fails to secure its border with the UK, it's fair for other EU countries to secure their borders with Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

gmisk wrote: »
    People will just get ferry or fly into northern Ireland if they are that desperate to get home

You stop 90% of the people most likely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Make it more difficult for them. A large percentage wouldn't bother going to the hassle of going to the north first.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    You stop 90% of the people most likely
    Where are you pulling the 90 percent figure from?
    I doubt it will be that high.
    Plenty of buses, trains etc to take you from Belfast to Dublin and on you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Are most of people still convinced to be back to normal by the end of next summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Where are you pulling the 90 percent figure from?
    I doubt it will be that high.
    Plenty of buses, trains etc to take you from Belfast to Dublin and on you go.

I just made it up. You stop the vast majority imo. Belfast airport isn't as large as Dublin tbf so can handle less flights and people are less likely to go when they know it's banned and it adds on a lot of cost (good luck buying a flight now and not being charged an arm and a leg for it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Also, the strain is most likely here already but it's about stopping further imports and spread.
    All positively tested recently who returned from the UK recently should be tested for the new strain.

There aren't enough flights to NI for everyone. In fact they are all mostly booked out already.

And we could stop busses and trains coming from the North.

Are most of people still convinced to be back to normal by the end of next summer?

I think it's supposed to take a year for everyone to get the vaccine but yeah, no bother.

There aren't enough flights to NI for everyone. In fact they are all mostly booked out already.

And we could stop busses and trains coming from the North.
    "And we could stop busses and trains coming from the North..."
    You are utterly delusional if you think that is going to happen, essential workers etc use buses and trains to get to work for a start, from NI to ROI and vice versa.

Icepick wrote: »
    If Ireland again fails to secure its border with the UK, it's fair for other EU countries to secure their borders with Ireland :(

Should have been done 9 months ago.

"And we could stop busses and trains coming from the North..."
    You are utterly delusional if you think that is going to happen, essential workers etc use buses and trains to get to work for a start.
    From NI to ROI and vice versa.

We can stop them for the Christmas and survive. almost all essential workers aren't essential anyway, builders are considered essential, they can take two weeks off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

We already know from multiple studies done on travel and the virus that travel bans only delay spread by a few weeks so a travel ban of a couple of days will mean feck all beyond a PR exercise.

Of course if mandatory testing and enforcement was in place a travel ban wouldn’t need to be considered.

Although on the flip side, if a ban is put in place is this the first time in the history of the state that we can say “Brits Out!” And actually mean it? :p

(Sorry)

Advertisement