Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No rush lads, take your time about deciding on whether to curtail flights out of UK arriving here, sleep on it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

GarIT wrote: »
    We can stop them for the Christmas and survive. almost all essential workers aren't essential anyway, builders are considered essential, they can take two weeks off.
    For "the Christmas" what time period does that cover?
    Nurse, doctors etc not essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

faceman wrote: »
    We already know from multiple studies done on travel and the virus that travel bans only delay spread by a few weeks so a travel ban of a couple of days will mean feck all beyond a PR exercise.

Of course if mandatory testing and enforcement was in place a travel ban wouldn’t need to be considered.

Although on the flip side, if a ban is put in place is this the first time in the history of the state that we can say “Brits Out!” And actually mean it? :p

(Sorry)

We're heading into the time with the most transmissions, something we haven't experienced anything like before. And we're a few weeks away from the vaccine, so a few week delay is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

We're heading into the time with the most transmissions, something we haven't experienced anything like before. And we're a few weeks away from the vaccine, so a few week delay is perfect.

Scientists predict the next mutation will take the deathrate above 90%, we are facing the collapse of Civilisation if this occurs which now only a matter of weeks.

theguzman wrote: »
    Scientists predict the next mutation will take the deathrate above 90%, we are facing the collapse of Civilisation if this occurs which now only a matter of weeks.
    Where are you seeing that?
    I don't see anyone predicting covid is going to turn into ebola...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Does everyone think that there are loads of empty flights between London and Belfast at the moment a few days before Christmas.

Obviously if you stop flights from England a lot less people will come over.

gmisk wrote: »
    For "the Christmas" what time period does that cover?
    Nurse, doctors etc not essential?

Most other countries are saying until the 1st or the 6th. An exception could be made for healthcare staff. We could possibly survive without them, I don't know the number of healthcare staff working cross border.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

He did not see it anywhere.

It's his way of saying this has all been overblown.

I wonder will some folks link an EU travel ban to Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

48 hours restrictions. Seriously?? Have some fcuking balls and make a proper decision lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

SeaFields wrote: »
    48 hours restrictions. Seriously?? Have some fcuking balls and make a proper decision lads.

It's 48 hours until a cabinet meeting to extend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I think he just made it up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

SeaFields wrote: »

Only until they can meet and extend.

bush wrote: »
    I think he just made it up.

He's our new Paddy, just not as funny.

It's doesn't say anything in there about covid 19 mutating to become 90 percent fatal....can you paste it here?

All I can see is the below.
    "The good news is that this mutation is rare and does not appear to make the disease more severe for infected patients. "

So, this variant has also been detected in Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark.
    (Sky News)

I wonder how much of the big second wave in Europe is due to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So, this variant has also been detected in Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark.
    (Sky News)

As has been stated previously its not new to the UK and nowhere else has seen this 70% increase in transmission.

Personally I put it down to London and the South East being out of lockdown long before any other part of the UK, more people moving around, more in pubs etc. More information still required to be independently verified

All joking aside....the 3rd wave of the spanish flu was said to be, by far the deadlist

As this will be too, if as expected the new mutations (of which there are multiple) will see the new vaccines be ineffective against them then 2021 will see the world enter its darkest hour since the dark ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The reason COVID-19 is dangerous is because it is highly contagious, not because of lethality. Some report said this strain could be up to 70% more contagious.

If it's highly contagious, how come there are so many situations where close contacts don't get it? I personally know of kids sharing bedroom with a sibling, adult bed-sharing couples, and a ice-cream sharing granny. In each one, a person got it, multiple others didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'm glad I went out last night if civilisation is collapsing in a few weeks. Make the most of the time we've left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As this will be too, if as expected the new mutations (of which there are multiple) will see the new vaccines be ineffective against them then 2021 will see the world enter its darkest hour since the dark ages.

A nice cheery ending

If it's highly contagious, how come there are so many situations where close contacts don't get it? I personally know of kids sharing bedroom with a sibling, adult bed-sharing couples, and a ice-cream sharing granny. In each one, a person got it, multiple others didn't.

No idea why they didn't get it but other viruses are less contagious, they might not have gotten something else either.

I spent 3hrs sitting next to a Covid positive person last month on a plane, I never contracted it, I cannot explain why other than my own immune resistance due to having had the virus previously (untested) in March.

Jesus...really?

No

There are at least 3 vaccines targeting different aspects of the virus, in the worst case scenario you might need to take more than one of them. We can also make new variations of the vaccine quickly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Don't post in this thread again please seeing as you want to troll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'd be curious to see Michael Gove's take on this new variant, considering he was demanding that China pay the UK billions as a result of being the source of the original virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

I'd be curious to see Michael Gove's take on this new variant, considering he was demanding that China pay the UK billions as a result of being the source of the original virus.

Well the UK didn't cause the new variant, nature did.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cmac2009

For all these countries, are they banning inbound and outbound flights?

• Advertisement

Appears to be both inbound and outbound. Netherlands, Italy and Belgium are both.

However, it appears the continent will be acting together soon

https://twitter.com/JeremyCliffe/status/1340679106384588800

Advertisement