Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Well the UK didn't cause the new variant, nature did.
    The same could be said of China.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well the UK didn't cause the new variant, nature did.

I'm telling ya now, Daily Mail or the Express will find a way to blame it on immigrants or the EU

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

The same could be said of China.

Well not really. Nature did it's thing but the conditions for it to happen were allowed happen because of China. Plus the cover up at the beginning which delayed the global response. Can't be compared to the UK now. It could have happened anywhere.

Beverly Hills, California

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm telling ya now, Daily Mail or the Express will find a way to blame it on immigrants or the EU

Aye, the usual rhetoric from those two rags will spin it that way, absolutely no doubt about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

theguzman wrote: »
    As this will be too, if as expected the new mutations (of which there are multiple) will see the new vaccines be ineffective against them then 2021 will see the world enter its darkest hour since the dark ages.

Jaysus is this the Daily Mail?

For many viruses that mutate and become more contagious, they become less severe as a result

Of course the media or government won’t share that because it goes against the narrative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Get Real

Is the new variant technically covid-20. A new strain of same virus, discovered in year 2020? Or am I wrong on that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd be curious to see Michael Gove's take on this new variant, considering he was demanding that China pay the UK billions as a result of being the source of the original virus.

Thanks to Michael Gove and others like him, the UK is about to become little more than a petty nuisance to the Chinese.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Get Real wrote: »
    Is the new variant technically covid-20. A new strain of same virus, discovered in year 2020? Or am I wrong on that?

It needs to be sufficiently distinct to get a new name. I believe this is more a mutation which is less distinct.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Get Real wrote: »

The virus has evolved numerous times since March. Most of the time it’s an insignificant impact

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Just watched the BBC news there

They are in terrible trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

j4vier wrote: »
    What's interesting is that the Irish government always acts after everyone else has acted.

They shouldn't have to wait to see Europe's response to decide what is best to do to protect Ireland

I thought our pre Christmas lockdown was ahead of the rest of the EU?

Hmmmm. Something is amiss in the UK with this supposed new strain. See the linked study below

No evidence for increased transmissibility from recurrent mutations in SARS-CoV-2

• Registered Users Posts: 32,715 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched the BBC news there

They are in terrible trouble
    The BBC? Or the UKs coronavirus response....both probably true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Only a matter of time before .... actually scrap that, it's probably already here.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnboy1298

Sure just give everyone who travels a substantial meal and tell them to get there before 10pm. Everyone knows thats how you stop the virus, cancelling travel now is about 9 months late anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I see sinn fein don't want any flights banned and think we should trust everyone to isolate and answer contact tracing.

How fucin STUPID can you get. No wonder northern Ireland is riddled when you have this type of thinking.

Thank God those fucwits are not in power here.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

j4vier wrote: »
    What's interesting is that the Irish government always acts after everyone else has acted.

They shouldn't have to wait to see Europe's response to decide what is best to do to protect Ireland

Not strictly true. For instance, Ireland locked down earlier than UK, enabling it have a much better handle on things. In contrast UK waited far too long, despite soaring numbers, adopting instead a (rather ridiculous) 'herd' immunity' policy, which only resulted in an alarming number of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭amacca

Is there any verified/trustworthy data available on the new strain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

amacca wrote: »
    Is there any verified/trustworthy data available on the new strain?

Dr. John Campbell Summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MINIibH2Iaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I wish gubberment leaders would stop sounding so wishy washy and circumspect. Ryan had to be cajoled
    by the newsreader just then!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That's going to create one helluva mess even if just for 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Looks like brexit is happening earlier than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Anyone else think this has back fired completely on UK? Maybe they thought this strain was a good excuse to lockdown harder without having to justify why. They probably never thought all these restrictions would actually happen. Just a thought..

DaSilva wrote: »

Potential to raise the Ro number by 0.4 to 0.93 even in locked down communities with higher viral loads on top

Some evidence of re-infection aswell

A fair sting in tail to 2020,hopefully we can begin vaccinations before xmas now

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

It's hard to see how this hasn't spread to ourselves and to mainland Europe already. Unfortunately, I would put money on a nationwide level 5 lockdown in January due to the increased infectiousness of this strain. Relatively, we were doing well. It's such a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

patsman07 wrote: »
    It's hard to see how this hasn't spread to ourselves and to mainland Europe already. Unfortunately, I would put money on a nationwide level 5 lockdown in January due to the increased infectiousness of this strain. Relatively, we were doing well. It's such a pity.

Our cases have doubled in the last week, it’s definitely here. Zero point in having level 5 lockdown again as it didn’t work last time, need to do something different this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,530 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Unless its a proper level 5, like back in March.

Schools, construction, all unnecessary retail closed.

Might work?

Time to bulk buy the bog roll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Harpon wrote: »
    Our cases have doubled in the last week, it’s definitely here. Zero point in having level 5 lockdown again as it didn’t work last time, need to do something different this time.

It did work. Yes we could be stricter in future.

Advertisement