Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I still favour the lockdown Sunday model. Authoritarin lockdown every Sunday. Driving licences invalid on Sunday. All public transport stopped. Every business closed except for the emergency services. Severe criminal punishment if someone is caught outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

How could our government justify re-opening schools in January if we are dealing with a significantly more virulent disease? How can they be sure that the mitigation measures that we have at our disposal will be enough to keep school communities safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

New Covid strain first identified in England last September, apparently new strains come & go, so initially there was no need to panic, then just in the last week or so they realised that this particular strain spreads like the clappers . . . . .

Pull the shutters down.

St.Spodo wrote: »
    How could our government justify re-opening schools in January if we are dealing with a significantly more virulent disease? How can they be sure that the mitigation measures that we have at our disposal will be enough to keep school communities safe?

They haven't justified it. We have had this info for 24-48 hours. It's a worldwide emergency compatible to a nuclear attack, everything isn't going to be resolved in a few minutes.

New Covid strain first identified in England last September, apparently new strains come & go, so initially there was no need to panic, then just in the last week or so they realised that this particular strain spreads like the clappers . . . . .

Pull the shutters down.

Study that showed how bad this strain is was completed less than 48 hours ago.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    Study that showed how bad this strain is was completed less than 48 hours ago.

Wow!

.... in which case Boris acted with amazing speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭Polar101

patsman07 wrote: »
    It's hard to see how this hasn't spread to ourselves and to mainland Europe already.

One case in Italy reported now. Not exactly a huge surprise.
    The Italian health ministry is reporting that they have found a patient infected with the same mutated strain of coronavirus as the UK.

The infected patient returned to Italy from the UK with his partner in the past few days and landed in Rome’s Fiumicino airport. They’re now in isolation, the ministry said.

From this source:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/dec/20/coronavirus-live-news-nsw-premier-to-provide-update-on-sydney-restrictions-as-northern-beaches-locked-down-uk-tightens-christmas-rules

Wow!

I didn't see it but some people are saying he was white as a ghost. Similar to other world leaders. If the study is accurate we can't reduce the number of cases even in a level 5 lockdown.

I didn't see it but some people are saying he was white as a ghost. Similar to other world leaders. If the study is accurate we can't reduce the number of cases even in a level 5 lockdown.

Vaccines need to be rolled out with extra haste across Britain, here, Europe & the world.

I've heard that the Pfizer vccine can be 'tweaked' to combat new strains of Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

St.Spodo wrote: »

Government keeps saying nothing to see in schools, different measures altogether when it comes to testing, informing etc. The way I see it is they dug the hole and they keep digging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

Vaccines need to be rolled out with extra haste across Britain, here, Europe & the world.

I've heard that the Pfizer vccine can be 'tweaked' to combat new strains of Covid-19.

Vaccines need to be mandatory now. I suppose it could be a blessing in disguise, with the timing, if it will force or persuade people to get vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Get Real wrote: »
    Is the new variant technically covid-20. A new strain of same virus, discovered in year 2020? Or am I wrong on that?

https://nextstrain.org/ncov/europe
    "
    There are thousands of complete genomes available now and this number increases by hundreds of every day. This visualization can only handle ~3000 genomes in a single view for performance and legibility reasons. Because of this we have to subsample available genome data for these analysis views
    "

There's been over 4,000 recorded varieties.
    The virus affecting Europe had already mutated by January from the version originally sequenced in Asia. (D14G protein change is one that got attention earlier in the year for increasing transmission.)

The vaccine targets multiple areas, if mutations become too different, then the vaccine jab could have a mix, more like the flu vaccine where the most common mutations are targeted for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Wow!

Britain Received the study and acted.
    The rest of Europe is now acting too

Can we stop acting like it’s a conspiracy? We’ve been dealing with this virus for a year. We found a new strain that has a stronghold in a country and we’re dealing with it

None of this is rocket science and it all makes sense

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Government keeps saying nothing to see in schools, different measures altogether when it comes to testing, informing etc. The way I see it is they dug the hole and they keep digging.

When in the last 4 hours did they say that? The whole game has changed in the last 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I still favour the lockdown Sunday model. Authoritarin lockdown every Sunday. Driving licences invalid on Sunday. All public transport stopped. Every business closed except for the emergency services. Severe criminal punishment if someone is caught outside.
    There should be severe criminal punishment for anyone promoting such totalitarian ideas.

When in the last 4 hours did they say that? The whole game has changed in the last 4 hours.

? In the last four hrs? Dunno what happened in the last 4 hrs. Also don't think the whole game changed in the last 4 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not given to conspiracy theories, but I'm not buying a lot of this. The UK didn't lock down the South East while they locked down other areas, Boris wanted people to have a "normal" Christmas, pubs and restaurants were open. Even if there wasn't a new strain, they had really dropped the ball on restrictions and would have seen a big spike anyway. You only have to look at Northern Ireland and us to compare two regimes - one incompetent, one restrictive. It'd be very easy to say that NI "must be infected by the new strain" as an excuse for their spike in cases, but then that would have meant a huge spike in the Republic as well.

Vaccines need to be mandatory now. I suppose it could be a blessing in disguise, with the timing, if it will force or persuade people to get vaccinated.
    They absolutely must not be mandatory. Do you realise how Hitleresque your ideas are?

Risteard81 wrote: »
    There should be severe criminal punishment for anyone promoting such totalitarian ideas.

Why, most of the country managed it before for nearly a hundred years. Germany almost still does it.

Totalitarian idea, criminal punishment. Lol I guess you are in the same boat so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,620 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They absolutely must not be mandatory. Do you realise how Hitleresque your ideas are?

Many EU countries have mandatory vaccination laws.
    It doesn't mean those countries are living in the Fourth Reich.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hitler rounded up Jewish people and gassed them, he didn't set up mass vaccination camps.

Hitler rounded up Jewish people and gassed them, he didn't set up mass vaccination camps.
    A "vaccine" which was developed in mere weeks, and the safety of which absolutely cannot possibly be guaranteed long-term? And yet you want to handcuff people and forcibly inject this unknown substance into them? Utterly appalling.

? In the last four hrs? Dunno what happened in the last 4 hrs. Also don't think the whole game changed in the last 4 hrs.

It was only this afternoon that the gov leaders met to discuss this strain where the numbers can't be reduced even in a lockdown. If this takes hold and the study is accurate we will be at millions of cases shortly.

A "vaccine" which was developed in mere weeks, and the safety of which absolutely cannot possibly be guaranteed long-term? And yet you want to handcuff people and forcibly inject this unknown substance into them? Utterly appalling.

Would you rather lock everyone in their house for another year?

Would you rather lock everyone in their house for another year?
    No-one should be locked up. People are free to do as they see fit. That is the only lawful and moral way.

No-one should be locked up. People are free to do as they see fit. That is the only lawful and moral way.

Well it's not. There were lockdowns in 2020. I assume you are one of those types so not going to bother discussing further.

It was only this afternoon that the gov leaders met to discuss this strain where the numbers can't be reduced even in a lockdown. If this takes hold and the study is accurate we will be at millions of cases shortly.

You've answered to my post regarding schools, which was my reaction to another poster.

My post:

Nothing changed in that in last four hrs I think, but could be wrong.

You've answered to my post regarding schools, which was my reaction to another poster.

My post:

Nothing changed in that in last four hrs I think, but could be wrong.

So much changed in the last 4 hours.

Other than that transmission has been low in schools. Something like 6 per day have been getting it in schools and 200 per day from visiting family over the last month.

• Advertisement

How about to read up about those "vaccines" before you post.

Advertisement