Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I bought a saw...

• 20-12-2020 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭

Just ordered a compact circular saw... It's a Makita DSS501z with a 51mm cutting depth.

There were pros and cons to choosing it. I wanted something manageable, small light etc. I'm a DIYer and it'll be used for projects around the house. A 2x4 is just less than 51mm, but when I measured a piece of timber I picked up in Brooks it was bigger than 2x4 (so not what I ordered) it also doesn't fit in the grooves of my sawhorse....

Did I make a mistake, should I have bought a bigger saw? Is 2x4 not 2x4 in this country, or was I just unlucky? Not that I'd only be cutting 2x4... But it's a good standard to work from...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

I believe a 2x4 is 55mm thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Le shovelle

4x2 is usually 100mm x 45mm. That's a nice saw. I've used one. Very well balanced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

4x2 is usually 100mm x 45mm. That's a nice saw. I've used one. Very well balanced

It shouldn't be too difficult to be more selective when I'm buying timber. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Nice saw. I do like Makita. Invested (convinced herself to let me) in a Makita Mitre saw - very tidy saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Bluefoam wrote: »
    ...Just ordered a compact circular saw... It's a Makita DSS501z with a 51mm cutting depth...

Just in case you need to be reminded that would be 51mm from the top side and 51mm from the bottom side - so a total cutting depth of 102mm using two passes. ;)

• Advertisement

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Just in case you need to be reminded that would be 51mm from the top side and 51mm from the bottom side - so a total cutting depth of 102mm using two passes. ;)

Yes, I'm counting on it... Some railway sleeper type boards may come into the equation when I get to the back garden... Didn't want to get the larger saw just for that task... Which is way off in the future

Perfect job for a chainsaw if you want an excuse to buy one.
    I've the 36v Makita .
    How much was the circ saw ?

Perfect job for a chainsaw if you want an excuse to buy one.
    I've the 36v Makita .
    How much was the circ saw ?

It was €120 without batteries. Could have picked up a larger size for less. But this seems like the right tool at the moment... Can always add more tools, I very likely will... The shed is there for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Timely thread actually. Was looking at DeWalt cordless ones. Primarily the DHS780 and I have noticed over the last moment specifically they and the smaller model are out of stock all over the place.

Like a serious shortage everywhere. Wonder is this covid production related or even brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

DAMN THAT SAW

• Advertisement

Update: seems Brexit is in full swing... Order wasn't completed by Screwfix, now the product is not available for delivery or click and collect. Amazon have lobbed an additional€40 onto the delivery charge.

Have ordered through amazon.de but won't turn up till end of Jan... If it turns up somewhere else cheaper in the meantime I'll change the order.

Having similar problems with a chair I bought through a UK company... Coming from Germany and nowhere to be seen yet...

Advertisement