Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Non alcoholic) gift for Brother

Options
  • 20-12-2020 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi All,

I am looking for advice on what to get my brother for Christmas.

He is 36.

He is an alcoholic. I don't know where he is at in terms of recovery or usage. He avoids the family for the most part. He does not open up.

I am mentioning this as it is kind of difficult to get something he will like and actually use. I want to steer clear of gift vouchers etc but I don't want to fob him off by buying a pair of socks.

He likes music, food, movies/tv shows, techy stuff.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Could you make up a hamper and fill it with nice foodie stuff... crackers cheese chutneys honeys relishes sauces coffee tea pasta etc

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Led smart lighting....
    Smart plugs
    Aftershave
    Jumper or coat or new runners or shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭TheBeach

Blaaz_ wrote:
    Is it not suspected in that mass outbreak in wexford?

Would be like a book? Maybe one of this years award winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Google home speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jaded Walker

Does he look after himself as far as clothes and shoes are concerned? I'd get him some if he doesn't. Often times you'll find that most people with addictions don't have a good winter coat.

If he's trying to drink less then chocolates are always a good gift.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Yuser.

Something outdoors

Avoid the gift vouchers and even food( money gets diverted from the food budget)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ohthistime

Does he look after himself as far as clothes and shoes are concerned? I'd get him some if he doesn't. Often times you'll find that most people with addictions don't have a good winter coat.

If he's trying to drink less then chocolates are always a good gift.

Yeah - he has clothes, shoes etc.

He's living at home so not really short of much.

The issue is that he doesn't spend a lot of time on interests or hobbies or won't find much joy from things.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

ohthistime wrote: »
    Yeah - he has clothes, shoes etc.

He's living at home so not really short of much.

The issue is that he doesn't spend a lot of time on interests or hobbies or won't find much joy from things.

In a lot of cases with addictions, the only social contacts left are those who encourage rather than discourage the addiction.

Would you consider getting tickets or vouchers for something the pair of you could do together, when things settle a bit? A voucher to a motor event or something? The equivalent of a nice "spa day" for girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

Probably, a book with a family photograph. Or customized calender with motivational quotes on each page.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Probably, a book with a family photograph. Or customized calender with motivational quotes on each page.

Sweet Jesus, talk about patronising...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 elf1225

My partner doesn't drink either. He and his mates who seem to be trying to quit have gotten really into record players and collecting old records for them...kind of cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alisbec

I think one of the best gifts to give anyone for Christmas is the fancy lights. I gifted Christmas lights to my family and they all loved it. They were very bright and covered a large area.

You can also gift something more creative like a beautiful handicraft or some customized frames.

Advertisement