Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sawducks Movie Walrus - World Premiere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sawduck wrote: »
    So that means the bottom 3 and top 3 belong to the following people

In alphabetical order

Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Kolido
    Necro
    Purgative
    Reberetta
    the purple tin

Oh :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ah the familiar sight of the top/bottom 3.

Usually the bottom 3 tbf :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In 9th place with 3 points is
    Also Starring LeVar Burton

Straw Dogs (1971)

Heard of it:Yes
    Seen it: Yes
    Overall Score 7.7
    This was a controversial movie back when it was released but it was highly praised too. It stars Dustin Hoffman and Susan George as a married couple who move back to the wife's hometown. Hoffman's character doesn't fit in well with the locals, he is quiet and reserved whilst most of the locals are drunken loudmouths. A few local builders who are hired by the couple begin harassing them and even kill their cat. Things reach a boiling point midway through the movie and lead to the controversial rape scene, which is pretty tough to witness as it is quite realistic but Susan George does a magnificent job as the victim. After an incident involving a local man and a young woman, the couple face danger as a group of villagers descends on the house, and with this being a Sam Peckinpah film, it has a pretty violent ending. A good movie that takes a while to get going but builds to a tremendous ending
    My favorite thing about this movie- The siege on the couple's house in the final 30 minutes of the movie, it was kind of like Home Alone meets Saw

In 3rd place with 9 points is
    the purple tin

The Night of the Hunter (1955)

Heard of it: Yes
    Overall score 9.0
    A brilliant choice here. This movie stars Robert Mitchum as Reverend Harry Powell, one of my favourite movie villains of all time. Mitchum has made a career out of portraying creepy nutjobs and this is his finest performance of his life. When it was released way back in 1955 it was a failure with both the audience and critics but over the years it has gained acclaim and is considered to be one of the best movies of the 50s. I also love how this movie took a religious song and turned it into something terrifying. Mitchum plays the evil Reverend Harry Powell who after hearing about hidden money from his cellmate, tracks down that man's wife and two kids in the hope of retrieving the money. He manages to fool most people, including the wife but the two children see right through his act. The second half of this film sees the reverend chasing the kids throughout the countryside and is genuinely creepy. A great movie with one hell of a great villain.
    My favorite thing about this movie - The Cinematography and beautiful use of shadows, oh and Robert Mitchum
    night of hunter.jpg
    c3b66-images2b2.jpg

In 10th place with 2 points is
    Kolido

Out of the Past (1947)

Seen it: No
    Overall score 6.8
    This was a good movie but not a great one. It has all the elements of a classic film noir, but i have seen better film noirs through the years. It stars Robert Mitchum as a non-creepy, normal guy, which is unusual but a pleasant surprise. As you would expect with a classic film noir, there is a great deal of double crossing going on. The Femme fatale is played by the wonderful Jane Greer, who brings an air of mystery to her character. Mitchum plays Jeff Bailey who has left his past life behind him to begin a new one in a quiet town, but his past catches up with him and he is forced into a dangerous situation with his former associates.
    My favorite thing about this movie - I liked Mitchum narration work as he tells his us of his past life

• Advertisement

In 2nd place with 10 points is
    Necro

The Godfather (1972)

Heard of it: Obviously
    Seen it: Multiple times, have it on DVD
    Overall score 9.6
    An obvious choice, but nonetheless a great one. Considered by many to be the greatest movie ever made, The Godfather is a story about the mafia but more so it is about a family, the Corleone's. It begins with a wedding scene and does a great job of introducing all the family members and key characters. There is Don Vito Corleone, the head of the family, played to perfection by Marlon Brando and Michael Corleone, the youngest son who wants no part in the mafia life. Attacks on various family members has Michael reconsidering his role as he vows revenge. The restaurant scene where he gets his revenge is pivotal as Michael becomes the person he never wanted to be. The final scene with the door closing is perfect, as Michael closes his old life behind him and becomes The Godfather. Oh and the theme song is deadly especially the Guns N' Roses version.

My favourite thing about this movie - The endless quotes that have become iconic: “I’m Gonna Make Him An Offer He Can’t Refuse.” "It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes" “Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.” "But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever"

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We like the violent flicks :p

Annnnnnnnnd the winner is...… either Purgative or Reberetta, this is where we have our intermission, if you need to use the toilets go now, you have 3 minutes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Well it's not me.

I don't imagine its me either I never win anything

• Advertisement

I have an angry draft and gif typed out and I'm just waiting to press 'post' once my last place is confirmed.

In last place with 1 point is
    Reberetta

Blow Up (1966)

Overall Score 4.8
    I feel bad putting this last as it wasn't Reberetta's first choice but unfortunately i wasn't able to find that one anywhere other than amazon and i needed a UK address to rent it. Blow-up is a highly regarded film made by acclaimed director Michelangelo Antonioni but personally speaking i found it to be a chore to sit through. The main character, a pompous photographer, takes photos of people at a park and believes he has captured a murder in his pictures. This film was strange to say the least, one scene involved two women play fighting and removing each other's clothes and the film ends with a bizarre imaginary tennis match involving a gang of mimes. Maybe i just didn't understand this movie but i didn't really enjoy it, sorry
    My favorite thing about this movie - I did find Vanessa Redgrave's character to be interesting but we don't see enough of her

And that means in first place with 11 points is
    Purgative

12 Angry Men (1957)

Overall score 9.8
    This is one of my all-time favourite films, and if you told me ten years ago that i would rate this higher than the godfather i would have thought you were insane. It's a movie that's basically about 12 people talking and apart from two brief scenes it is set in one room. I was always hesitant to watch this because i usually dislike courtroom dramas. The trial looks like an open and shut case, a young man on trial for the murder of his father, must of the jurors instantly vote guilty without even discussing the trial but one juror decides the give the young man a chance and wants to discuss the evidence, which doesn't sit well with a few of the others. Henry Fonda stars as that juror and becomes a heroic figure as he battles against the other jurors, each time he speaks he convinces another one of his fellow jurymen to vote not guilty. This film is perhaps the greatest dialogue driven film ever made, directed by the great Sidney Lumet who never disappoints, a brilliant choice and a movie I will rewatch so many more times in the future
    My favourite thing about this movie - The dialogue, it's fantastic, i love the small interactions between the characters as they discuss things like their jobs, the weather or their family

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In last place with 1 point is
    Reberetta

Blow Up (1966)

Overall Score 4.8
    I feel bad putting this last as it wasn't Reberetta's first choice but unfortunately i wasn't able to find that one anywhere other than amazon and i needed a UK address to rent it. Blow-up is a highly regarded film made by acclaimed director Michelangelo Antonioni but personally speaking i found it to be a chore to sit through. The main character, a pompous photographer, takes photos of people at a park and believes he has captured a murder in his pictures. This film was strange to say the least, one scene involved two women play fighting and removing each other's clothes and the film ends with a bizarre imaginary tennis match involving a gang of mimes. Maybe i just didn't understand this movie but i didn't really enjoy it, sorry
    My favorite thing about this movie - I did find Vanessa Redgrave's character to be interesting but we don't see enough of her

Never seen Blow Up, but I now want to watch it for the gang of mimes playing tennis... Sounds amazing... :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

:o

An obvious choice but I haven't watched a whole pile of oldies so went with what I loved. Cheers Sawduck :)

Purgative

12 Angry Men (1957)

Overall score 9.8
    This is one of my all-time favourite films, and if you told me ten years ago that i would rate this higher than the godfather i would have thought you were insane. It's a movie that's basically about 12 people talking and apart from two brief scenes it is set in one room. I was always hesitant to watch this because i usually dislike courtroom dramas. The trial looks like an open and shut case, a young man on trial for the murder of his father, must of the jurors instantly vote guilty without even discussing the trial but one juror decides the give the young man a chance and wants to discuss the evidence, which doesn't sit well with a few of the others. Henry Fonda stars as that juror and becomes a heroic figure as he battles against the other jurors, each time he speaks he convinces another one of his fellow jurymen to vote not guilty. This film is perhaps the greatest dialogue driven film ever made, directed by the great Sidney Lumet who never disappoints, a brilliant choice and a movie I will rewatch so many more times in the future
    My favourite thing about this movie - The dialogue, it's fantastic, i love the small interactions between the characters as they discuss things like their jobs, the weather or their family

Excellent choice Purgative... One of my all-time favourites.

Would've chosen it here if I hadn't of already chosen it for another Walrus that we've been waiting over 9 months for... ;)

The mimes playing tennis scene is amazingly arty and deep and.. stuff.

I thought the idea of Walrus is try to give the host a new discovery, not go for famous films that everyone and their mother has seen?

What's the point of trying to be imaginative when others plump for The Godfather and Willy Wonka and get more points? :P

I DON'T KNOW!!!!

I'm one of the biggest legend stars ever in this....God!

QuerulousLimpAfricanwildcat-max-1mb.gif

I'm pissed now!

P.S. Otherwise a nice reveal Sawduck.;)

Excellent choice Purgative... One of my all-time favourites.

Would've chosen it here if I hadn't of already chosen it for another Walrus that we've been waiting over 9 months for... ;)

:eek::eek:

Err... diffuse situation...change subject.... I KNOW!

tumblr_mysptmajrh1s8hnhko1_500.gif

After the first round Purgative leads the pack but it's still all to play for, every single one of you has entered at least one movie i have watched and liked so i right now i don't even have a clue who will win the overall game. The next round of movies will be ranked sometime in January, I'll let you all know beforehand. I'm going to start watching the something new movies right now.

Purgative

12 Angry Men (1957)

Wow and I never win anything until today. I'm doing a lap of honour in my pants.

We used to use this film for a discussion about group dynamics and group roles. Though that's probably dropped out of fashion from management buzzwords.

• Advertisement

Reberetta wrote: »
    The mimes playing tennis scene is amazingly arty and deep and.. stuff.

I thought the idea of Walrus is try to give the host a new discovery, not go for famous films that everyone and their mother has seen?

What's the point of trying to be imaginative when others plump for The Godfather and Willy Wonka and get more points? :P

I DON'T KNOW!!!!

I'm one of the biggest legend stars ever in this....God!

QuerulousLimpAfricanwildcat-max-1mb.gif

I'm pissed now!

P.S. Otherwise a nice reveal Sawduck.;)

Haha i am sorry and i do appreciate your approach, it was a brave choice but mimes creep me out :D

Hopefully Sawduck won't mind me taking this opportunity to plug my TV Walrus, for which Sign-Ups are currently open...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058142619

The table after round 1

1. Purgative 11
    2. Necro 10
    3. the purple tin 9
    4. JP Liz V1 8
    5. ShaneU 7
    6. Irish Aris 6
    7. Spook_ie 5
    8. mustang shelly 4
    9. Also Starring LeVar Burton 3
    10. Kolido 2
    11. Reberetta 1

I have no idea how to create a proper table for the scores so this mess will have to do for now :)

I have no idea how to create a proper table for the scores so this mess will have to do for now :)

Do you know how to do a table in Excel? If you do, it's easiest to do your table there and then just copy and paste it over here in between the tags {TABLE=head}{/TABLE}, but with regular brackets [] rather than {}

Do you know how to do a table in Excel? If you do, it's easiest to do your table there and then just copy and paste it over here in between the tags {TABLE=head}{/TABLE}, but with regular brackets [] rather than {}

I will try it out, cheers and good luck in your TV walrus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Meant to enter this but never got around to it. Was thinking either 12 angry men or Treasure of the Sierra Madre for this round. 12 angry men is one of those movies I can watch again and again. Never get tired of it.

osh wrote: »
    Meant to enter this but never got around to it. Was thinking either 12 angry men or Treasure of the Sierra Madre for this round. 12 angry men is one of those movies I can watch again and again. Never get tired of it.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre is a great movie too but probably would of only managed mid table here with the quality of movies in this round

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great reveal sawduck. Dissapointed to finish second last but not surprised with the quality of movies above. Out of the past is a personal favourite of mine, must give it a rewatch soon.

Congrats to purgative, I've yet to watch 12 angry men but it is great by all accounts.

Looking forward to the next round.

• Advertisement

Thank you Kol. I'm still basking in the joy of having won something.

12 Angry is certainly worth a look.

Advertisement