Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sawducks Movie Walrus - World Premiere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I really like About A Boy.
    I'm also a big fan of Nick Hornby and this is one of his great novels too.
    Sawduck wrote: »
    It's a really enjoyable movie, i felt bad putting it in the bottom three but the quality of movies entered is pretty high

I like the soundtrack from Badly Drawn Boy too

Hoult has become a fine actor, check out The Great tv series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

So that mean in first place this round with 11 points is
    Irish Aris

Heard of it: Yes
    Seen it: Yes
    Overall rating 8.7
    Coming of age movies are one of my favourite movie genres and this one might be the best of the 21st century. This movie has it all, good characters, story, humour and heart. The movie follows charlie, a young teen who suffers from mental health issues, as he begins life as a high school student, he is shy and doesn't have friends until he meets two other teens who are social outcasts in their own way and forms a friendship with them. Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller star as those teens and all three are excellent in their roles. It's a movie you can rewatch so many times and never get bored of, it's also got the best use of a David Bowie song i have seen in a movie.
    My favourite thing about this movie: The acting of the 3 main actors, they'll make you laugh, cry and so much more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

So that leaves Purgative and Irish Aris. Can Purgative win another round or will Irish Aris rise to the top, lets find out shall we

How the mighty fall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great reveal Sawduck, some excellent movies in this round.

Well done Aris, great movie choice.

Great movies this round, will hopefully have round 3 done by mid February. It has a few movies i have never seen but from the ones i have seen there is an obvious winner for me, but the quality next round is brilliant. I will have a table for the first 2 rounds up soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

glad you like it Sawduck. The quality in this round was so high that I didn't expect first place.
    I only saw the film recently (a few months back) on Netflix and really liked it. And amazing soundtrack all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Great reveal Sawduck.

Reberetta wrote: »
    Great reveal Sawduck.

It was. I especially enjoyed the bit where he said "Has Purgative come top again ..."

Or not :p

Purgative wrote: »
    It was. I especially enjoyed the bit where he said "Has Purgative come top again ..."

Or not :p

Haha sorry, but I just had to do it and who knows maybe you'll come top again next round, or not :D

Haha sorry, but I just had to do it and who knows maybe you'll come top again next round, or not :D

Maybe I should alter my picks. :)

• Advertisement

I forgot to add the table so here it is now, better late than never

Name
    Round 1
    Round 2
    Round 3----Round 4----Total Score
    purple tin
    Irish Aris
    Necro
    Spook_ie----5
    ShaneU
    Purgative----11
    JP Liz V1
    ASLB
    Reberetta----1
    shelly
    Kolido

So after the first two rounds the purple tin leads the pack with Irish Aris only 1 point behind him in second. Necro and spook are both currently in third place. At the other end of the table Kolido hasn't had the greatest of starts but with two movies left to go anything is still possible.

NAME|ROUND 1 | ROUND 2 | ROUND 3 | ROUND 4 | TOTAL|
    Purple Tin| 9 | 9 | | | 18|
    Irish Aris | 6 | 11 | | | 17 |
    Necro | 10 | 5 | | | 15 |
    Spook ie |5|10| | |15|
    ShaneU|7|6|||13|
    Purg|11|1|||12|
    JP Liz V1|8|3|||11|
    ASLB|3|7|||10|
    Reberetta|1|8|||9|
    Shelly|4|4|||8|
    Kolido|2|2|||4|

I was curious about how to do tables so, here tis.

SawDuck, I'll pm you and you add the scores between my pipe marks. BTW it doesn't add the scores for you.

Purgative wrote: »
    NAME|ROUND 1 | ROUND 2 | ROUND 3 | ROUND 4 | TOTAL|
    Purple Tin| 9 | 9 | | | 18|
    Irish Aris | 6 | 11 | | | 17 |
    Necro | 10 | 5 | | | 15 |
    Spook ie |5|10| | |15|
    ShaneU|7|6|||13|
    Purg|11|1|||12|
    JP Liz V1|8|3|||11|
    ASLB|3|7|||10|
    Reberetta|1|8|||9|
    Shelly|4|4|||8|
    Kolido|2|2|||4|

I was curious about how to do tables so, here tis.

SawDuck, I'll pm you and you add the scores between my pipe marks. BTW it doesn't add the scores for you.

Thank you purgative that looks much better, I should be able to add the scores for the next two rounds into it,cheers. I am hopeless when it comes to stuff like this haha. Next round should be someday next week I have 3 more movies to watch first.

Thank you purgative that looks much better, I should be able to add the scores for the next two rounds into it,cheers. I am hopeless when it comes to stuff like this haha. Next round should be someday next week I have 3 more movies to watch first.

I'm not normally this helpful, I just needed to do something. :)

Round 3 will arrive tomorrow, aiming for 8pm
    It was a dark round of movies full of horrific leg injuries,eye gauging,strangling, dogs being killed,kids being killed and a very painful magic trick. You people are twisted :p
    It was probably the best round yet

Round 3
    Like previous round i will leave the top 3 and bottom 3 until the end, there was a duplicate this round too. Great round of films so lets kick things off shall we

In 7th place with 5 points is
    Reberetta

The Desperate Hours

Heard of it: No
    Seen it: No
    Overall score 8.0
    Based on a novel Joseph Hayes, this film stars Humphrey Bogart as the leader of a trio of escaped convicts who take a family hostage in their own home. The reason they choose this particular family is because they saw a kids bike out front and figured the family would give them no hassle. Fredric March plays the father who tries his best to keep his family from harm. At one point the family manage to trick the convicts and get them out of the house but the little kid leaves the house and ends up in the criminal's grasp (stupid little brat). A very enjoyable movie and one i had not even heard of before
    My favourite thing about this movie: Bogart as a baddie, least favourite thing is the little brat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Not sure if I've that but I've seen the remake with Mickey Rourke, good call Rebe

In 6th place with 6 points is
    Irish Aris

Misery

Overall rating 8.1
    The fact that this movie is placed this low just shows how strong this round is. Based on Stephen Kings novel, this movie stars Kathy Bates in her most iconic role, the bat**** crazy Annie Wilkes. A novelist crashes his car, injuring his legs badly and is rescue by his biggest fan in the world Annie Wilkes. She nurses him and keeps him cut off from the rest of the world, as time passes, and when she learns that he plans to kill off his main character she freaks out and demands that he rewrite his latest novel. The most famous scene is the hobbling scene which is pretty gruesome to watch but apparently it's a bit different in the book she actually chops off his foot. George Roy Hill was hired to direct it but pulled out due to that particular scene, and many actors turned down the role of the main character paul, including Dustin Hoffman, Harrison Ford and Al Pacino. A thrilling and very enjoyable movie indeed.
    My favourite thing about this movie: The brilliant lunatic Annie Wilkes, played by the wonderful Kathy Bates.

In 5th place with 7 points is
    Kolido

The Town

Overall score 8.3
    Starring ben affleck and his buddy, the star of the jason bourne franchise matt dam.... eh jeremy renner. I have only watched this movie once before and i honestly couldn't remember a thing about it, but i was surprised by how much i enjoyed it. Four friends pull off a heist and take a female hostage with them, after releasing her they realise that she lives nearby one of the robbers and they decide to keep an eye on her. Whilst doing this Afflecks character fall for her and begins a romance with her, the poor woman having no idea he was one of the robbers. Rebecca Hall plays her and does a great job showing the aftermath of being in such an ordeal. The real star of this movie however is Jeremy Renner who plays the hothead of the group. Ben Affleck is basically just ben affleck. A very entertaining movie that i am glad i got to rewatch so thanks for picking it.
    My favourite thing about this movie: Jeremy renners character, an underrated actor

• Advertisement

In 4th place with 8 points is
    Spook_ie

The Thing

Hear of it:Yes
    Overall score 8.4
    John Carpenter's fantastic remake of the 1951 movie The Thing from Another World is one hell of an enjoyable movie and one you could re-watch over and over again. Burt Lancaster's son wrote the screenplay and the legendary Ennio Morricone is in charge of the music score. The film stars Kurt Russell as a member of a research group stationed in Antarctica who take in a stranded dog who unbeknownst to them is an extra-terrestrial life-form. There is some iconic and pretty gruesome scenes in this movie, perhaps the most memorable one involves a defibrillator. This isn't just a great sci-fi movie it's also a fantastic thriller, as each member of the group becomes paranoid and lose trust in each other. When this was made back in 1982 it was a complete flop, but over time it has become a cult classic loved by almost everyone.
    My favourite thing about this movie: It's a fun movie full with memorable moments and one you can rewatch and never tire of.

So that leaves us with the following users movies yet to be revealed

Also Starring LeVar Burton
    JP Liz V1
    mustang shelly
    Necro
    Purgative
    ShaneU
    the purple tin

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47l8utz7gibac55d53pbnacy3vkftyneh1ex81em4l&rid=200.webp

In 8th place with 4 points is
    Purgative

The Cruel Sea

Overall score 7.4
    A really good movie that i had never watched before but it can only finish here in such a strong round. This is a film about men on a ship in the Atlantic battling the germans and the elements of the ocean. One particular scene involves the crew coming across a shipwreck and soldiers in the ocean, however the captain believes that a german U-boat is directly underneath the survivors of the shipwreck and is waiting to attack them so he order his crew to set off detonators which will result in the deaths of all the shipwrecked crew. Not every member of the crew is pleased by the captains choice and later the captain is visibly upset and when his Sub-lieutenant starts to blame himself, the captain assures him that it's not his fault by saying " No one murdered them - it's the war, the whole bloody war! We've just got to do these things and say our prayers at the end".
    My favourite thing about this movie: The interactions of the crew members

In 3rd place with 9 points is
    Also Starring LeVar Burton

Strangers on a Train

Overall score 8.4(and a half)
    This is probably my third favourite Alfred Hitchcock film, after Psycho and my personnel favourite Rear Window. Two men meet on a train and start a conversation, one of the guys is going through a messy divorce and because he is a famous tennis pro, his personnel problems are all over the newspapers. The other guy(a genuine creepy psychopath who has a bad relationship with his father) suggests that they help each other out by swapping murders, the tennis pro would kill psychopath's dad and psychopath kills tennis pro's wife. The tennis thinking it's just a joke leaves without really giving an answer. Like every great Hitchcock film thing take a dark turn when the tennis players wife is killed, the killing scene itself is incredibly done(we see it in the reflection of her glasses, which have fallen to the ground). A fantastic thriller with some memorable scenes that will stick with you for a while after.
    My favourite thing about this movie: It's a great tense movie with beautiful camera work by one of the greatest directors of all time.

In 9th place with 3 points is
    the purple tin

Wise Blood

Heard of it: No
    Overall score: 7.0
    What a strange little movie this was. A man with a religious background moves to a town and befriends some weird characters including a blind preacher. After get what he believes is a sign from god, he sets out to become a street preacher himself. Whilst preaching in the streets he meets a con man who wants to use him for financial gain but when he refuses the con man seeks out his own fake preacher. The last 20 minutes the movie kind of went downhill, it's basically the main character punishing himself for the sins he commits throughout the movie. It's worth watching for the array of bizarre and humorous characters.
    My favourite thing about this movie: The strange characters, seriously they were so bizarre, one guy steals a gorilla suit and pretends to be a famous gorilla trying to shake people's hands.

In joint second with 10 points each are
    Necro
    and
    mustang shelly

The Dark Knight

Overall score: 8.9
    Is this the best comic book movie, yeah probably. This is(i think) the only movie in this competition that i actually watched in the cinema. It was packed and i can remember that i didn't want the movie to end, it was so damn entertaining. It begins with a heist and introduces the best character and mastermind being the heist the joker. Every scene that comes after just seems to get better and better, and it is full of so many quotable lines. It also boosts one hell of a cast from Michael Caine to Morgan Freeman, but it's the two leads that really impress. Christian Bale as the hero Batman, brings a dark moody presence and of course Heath Ledger, who sadly died before the film was complete but end up winning an oscar for his role. Director Chris Nolan actually offered the role of batman to Heath Ledger before he offered it to Bale. At one point the Joker says to Batman " i think you and me are destined to do this forever " and he is right they always will and i'm sure there will be more movie of these two battling in the future but no one will ever leave the same impact that Bale and Ledger did.
    My favourite thing about this movie: Heath Ledgers iconic performance

That leaves us with just 2 people left liz and shane, one of them entered a movie i loved, the other entered the only movie this round that i didn't enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Death or Glory :D (can't remember what I entered :eek:)

• Advertisement

In last place with 2 points
    JP Liz V1

Mortal Kombat

Overall score: 5.5
    I was never into mortal kombat the game so maybe that's why i didn't think much of this. 3 fighters are chosen by some grey-haired dude to fight in an upcoming tournament. Some of the action is pretty good and Sonya Blade was cute but overall it was very cringeworthy and i didn't enjoy it, sorry
    My favourite thing about this movie: Some decent fights

Advertisement