Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick and Covid

• 20-12-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

70 cases today. Bloody hell folks

Mods closed other covid threat, but the idea that on a Limerick forum we are banned from discussing what is by a mile the biggest story in Limerick is madness

This is a Limerick forum. This is a huge Limerick story. We need a discussion on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Agreed that a discussion is needed, the last one got closed down for victim blaming so let's try to avoid that this time round yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Fair play. I agree, this is probably the biggest story of the 21st century and one that affects all of us. I really hope Boards doesn't shut this one down.

70 is a lot. In hindsight maybe restrictions shouldn't have been lifted until closer to Christmas. I would love insight into these cases, is it large gatherings etc. that is causing the rise.

January will be tough but at least we're closer to vaccines.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

70 cases today. Bloody hell folks

Mods closed other covid threat, but the idea that on a Limerick forum we are banned from discussing what is by a mile the biggest story in Limerick is madness

This is a Limerick forum. This is a huge Limerick story. We need a discussion on this.

I think we all know it wasn't closed for people discussing Covid-19 in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

This was always going to happen with the influx of visitors over the festive period.

The Limerick and national numbers are very scary, i note 5 planes landed in Belfast this morning from London, how many of those are going to trickle down the country to limerick. The new Covid strain is 70% more infectious.

Its time the gov put us out of our misery and locked us back for another couple of weeks. Its so hard in the bar and restaurant trade not knowing what to order, i assume they cabinet are waiting until tomorrow so we don't panic buy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Marty1983 wrote: »
    This was always going to happen with the influx of visitors over the festive period.

The Limerick and national numbers are very scary, i note 5 planes landed in Belfast this morning from London, how many of those are going to trickle down the country to limerick. The new Covid strain is 70% more infectious.

Its time the gov put us out of our misery and locked us back for another couple of weeks. Its so hard in the bar and restaurant trade not knowing what to order, i assume they cabinet are waiting until tomorrow so we don't panic buy.

While that's been reported, some Irish experts and the ECDC have said that there's no evidence yet to support that claim.

• Advertisement

A new clinic to open so that might help things.

"Christmas health clinic to open in Rathkeale - Limerick's Live 95"

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/christmas-health-clinic-to-open-in-rathkeale/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

kilburn wrote: »
    Either way with the surge in cases I imagine it's already here.

Let's try and keep this thread open and not go down the Pedantic Pat route after only 7 posts.

I don't think CM was being pedantic, more ensuring people don't take one post/poster as gospel.

We all have a role to play in keeping this thread open but implying a poster is being pedantic isn't going to help the cause

My point is very clear Phog, there is no need to pick everyone up on every scientific fact that will be mentioned be any poster in the thread, that's what will get it closed again.

Let's keep it to Limerick and Covid and not go into science etc.

There is a whole forum for that.

But the science is important, otherwise we could have posters posting stuff they believe in but is untrue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Science is of course important but its clear we are not allowed discuss it in our regional forum.

All the warnings in the last thread about going off topic and no lessons learned at all.

I really do despair for this forum guaranteed this thread will be closed by the end of the week.

On topic some pubs in Abbeyfeale were very busy the weekend and at one in particular bouncers refused emergency services personnel access as they were wearing their protective gear and would frighten the customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Can we ask Mark, genuinely, can we mention things like the amt of yellow reg cars flying around west limerick, the amt of people "home* not wearing or being told to wear masks in shops and gathering in groups in chippers etc

I am NOT asking facetiously, I am genuinely asking so we have an idea where the mod lines are.

This absolutely unequivocally is happening and it is a huge issue... Niall Collins TD is on record saying same

Some guidance needed Mark. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

A new clinic to open so that might help things.

"Christmas health clinic to open in Rathkeale - Limerick's Live 95"

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/christmas-health-clinic-to-open-in-rathkeale/
    Nothing to do with Covid happens every year to keep the Regional quiet

My point is very clear Phog, there is no need to pick everyone up on every scientific fact that will be mentioned be any poster in the thread, that's what will get it closed again.

Let's keep it to Limerick and Covid and not go into science etc.

There is a whole forum for that.
    So in your mind the posting rumour and conjecture is more important than keeping to the facts?

I'd much rather people knew what was actually being reported by the scientific authorities. And that's as relevant to Limerick as it is to everywhere else. Covid and the response to Covid is ALL about the science.

You keep missing the point its not me i dont care.

CM the mods have clearly stated their position not sure why you keep ignoring them.......
    I've never seen a post from a mod saying that the science, which is very relevant, wasn't to be discussed. There was however a lot of OT talk about where the virus was coming from and which ethnic group may or may not have been responsible for high case numbers, which they quickly shut down.

Hand washing......
    Not at all. People were given warnings. I wasn't one of them.

As requested a few posts earlier by RR, maybe a mod could list specifically what can and can't be discussed. There seems to be a lot of confusion.

Not at all. People were given warnings. I wasn't one of them.

Never said you were but can you please stop replying to me now as I would like to keep the thread on topic.

Some of us are really concerned about what's going on and would really like to keep this thread open.

Its very important this thread is kept open.

Things like this make you wonder what has caused us to get to this point in society - is it political correctness gone mad in case someone gets offended, is it the rise of fake news and choose your own truth, anti science etc.

People walking on eggshells and no appetite for reasoned debate.

EDIT: I see this is after your post Kilburn, it's not directly aimed at you.

In other news I'm impressed by the adherence to mask wearing and I think the numbers of face visors I see has dropped dramatically. Haven't seen those stupid chin guards in weeks.

I'll lay it out as I see it. If you have an opinion about travellers (or any other group to be honest) that relates to Covid, this isn't the place for it. If you have a source detailing specific facts about how members of the travelling community, and can back it up with a link, then it's fine.

Every dog on the street knows... Not acceptable
    News report relevant to Covid in Limerick... Acceptable

As always, think before you post. The internet may seem anonymous, but it's not. If someone takes a dislike to what you say on the internet, there can be repercussions. I am trying to avoid you having that displeasure.

If you're unsure of whether you should post it or not, then send a mod a message, and someone will get back to you.

I'm taking this from a reply to the help desk thread that's currently active

"The traveller discussion yes at times heading the wrong way but to be very honest it's a valid point and Limerick is particularly unique in this situation."

Mark this is a discussion forum opinions form the discussion.

sioda wrote: »
    I'm taking this from a reply to the help desk thread that's currently active

"The traveller discussion yes at times heading the wrong way but to be very honest it's a valid point and Limerick is particularly unique in this situation."

Mark this is a discussion forum opinions form the discussion.

I'm not sure how that doesn't square with what I've said above. If you have facts, fine. If you don't, it's not.

MarkR wrote: »
    I'm not sure how that doesn't square with what I've said above. If you have facts, fine. If you don't, it's not.

Mark, appreciate the info.
    Can I ask, in relation to your point. If someone see's flagrant disregard for safety by, say, a gang of students, it seems to be ok to say so, anecdotally.
    Are we to be extra sensitive to similar examples if the offenders are from said earlier community?. Once again, I stress, I am genuinely only asking to figure what way the discussion can be formed going forward.
    Thank you

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    Mark my opinion which is backed up with no links or video is a fact as I have seen it the amount of yellow reg vans all shiny with sheep dipped tanned passenger in the city has gone up hugely. Spend any time on Sarsfield street and you will see it.

I don't want to back seat mod but this is a valid opinion I'm not tarring every traveller with the same brush but this is happening in Limerick and will have knock on effect to people in the city.

You know what. I'm taking a holiday. Have fun everyone. Hope to see ye in the new year.

I get where Mark is coming from lads. I do. I think we all do.
    I think you can simultaneously realise that there IS an issue here, it IS real, it IS happening and burying our heads about it in the name of PC is to completely ignore a very real, live threat to us all in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Since when has boards turned into Wikipedia? Citation required.

We have eyes, we can see what's going on in Rathkeale but we can't discuss it because no journalist has seen fit to put pen to paper?

No loss.

Hand washing......

Christ on a bike, you claimed earlier you wanted this thread kept open then you go post "rumours" about a pub in Abbeyfeale and now you're arguing about science being relevant or nor relevant.

Seems to me you have an issue with a poster - if this is the case block him, save us all this drivel.

Phog you really need to read the posts before you start ranting. I never said science wasn't relevant the mods deleted all the posts in last thread on science of handwashing as they said it wasn't Limerick related, so please get your information right as I was pointing out that fact that mods didn't want it discussed. Even CM gets that with his request for clarification.

Where did I post a rumour it's a fact that emergency services staff were refused entry this weekend to a pub I know this as one of the emergency services personnel told me who was actually there and refused entry. That's fact not a rumour.

Shout me down all you want if it makes you feel better.

Seems your the one with issue following me around the thread please feel free to take your own advise and block me.

At the moment there are only 32 posts on this thread, one was posted about science and you (not a mod) took exception to it.

As for the rumour - it's unverified or have I missed the verification somewhere, if I have can you provide the link?

Agreed not a mod just a long standing member of the forum who wants the thread kept open for everyone else reminding people why original was closed and asking people to keep on topic so it doesn't get closed which for some reason is some sort of crime here...

So I have to have a citation for something an emergency service member tells me now wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Limerick not mentioned in today's cases but cork is with 44, so less than 44 cases today - going in the right direction after the 70 yesterday

As for blaming anybody or any group for spreading the virus remember two things

1. the current strain in Ireland is a variant that was first discovered in Spain back in June and rapidly spread throughout Europe including Ireland and meat packaging plants became the hotspots

2. It is possible to catch the virus out of sheer bad luck!

Limerick not mentioned in today's cases but cork is with 44, so less than 44 cases today - going in the right direction after the 70 yesterday

As for blaming anybody or any group for spreading the virus remember two things

1. the current strain in Ireland is a variant that was first discovered in Spain back in June and rapidly spread throughout Europe including Ireland and meat packaging plants became the hotspots

2. It is possible to catch the virus out of sheer bad luck!

Colm are you like myself are the announcement on rte and go yes not on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The bulk of numbers in Limerick yesterday and today are in the Adare Rathkeale electoral area but none were in Adare . There is another town beginning with A in the same electoral area that had a number along with the town beginning with R . We are not allowed discuss these towns or their inhabitants in case it upsets people who dont like dealing with the truth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement