Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GarIT wrote: »
    The EU is working on a joint approach tomorrow morning. They could get France to allow cargo through.

France is allowing cargo through but only in unaccompanied containers. Netherlands set to impose same freight ban apparently so seems unlikely that is going to change.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The current ban does not extend to goods vehicles on ferries (no car or foot passengers can come over by ferry)

Not sure but presumably air freight is continuing (might be a few disappointed kids if no Amazon parcels are getting through from Britain)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

GreeBo wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they, if the UK strain broke out over here (which is what I said)?
    Why would they ban UK travel but not Irish travel under the same circumstances? If they have any brains of course they would stop travel from countries where it's out of control.

It's as likely to be in every other EU country as Ireland.

The ones to France have stopped.

From Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Beasty wrote: »
    The current ban does not extend to goods vehicles on ferries (no car or foot passengers can come over by ferry)

Not sure but presumably air freight is continuing (might be a few disappointed kids if no Amazon parcels are getting through from Britain)

I have seen multiple reports that is does apply to goods vehicles. And there are reports of back ups at the ports.

But yes non accompanied cargo containers can travel.

• Advertisement

ElJeffe wrote: »
    From Ireland?

Yes.

Yes.

Fcuk. Why would France stop ferries from travelling to Ireland.

Can you link a report i can't find anything stating ferries between France and Ireland have ceased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

We have direct links to france?

I thought we did from Rosslare?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

I have seen multiple reports that is does apply to goods vehicles. And there are reports of back ups at the ports.

To Ireland it doesn’t not

To France it does apply and there’s backlogs all through the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

UK officials have said it will take two weeks to grow the virus in a lab and then test the efficacy of current vaccines on it.
    That was yesterday.

UK officials also said they wouldn't know if it spread with 70% more effiency for a few more weeks. That was yesterday....

• Advertisement

I thought we did from Rosslare?

We do Rosslare and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yes.

I thought it was only the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

But seasonal workers from romania can still come in?

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

From the Government announcement
    Ferry crossings between Ireland and Great Britain will continue in order to keep essential supply chains moving. The government direction for people not to travel from Great Britain to Ireland does not extend to essential supply chain workers (see detailed notes below).

HGV drivers are specifically detailed as allowed to travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I hope those lorries and driver's don't start to use Ireland as a landbridge. Holyhead to Dublin, Rosslare to France. That'd be some change.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I would imagine they'll try and sort out the cargo element, from France to the UK, in the next week or so. The "emergency brake" has been pulled until they can work out better logistics pending an EU meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No, if you want to behave like an utter scumbag and flout public health advice and endanger all around you, by all means you are free to fly into Belfast. You're welcome.

We had the Cheltenham Martyrs and now we have the Christmas Martyrs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Good lord, you can't be this ignorant? You know about the high number of asymptomatic cases right?
    Of course I can spread it! What do you think happens if I touch something that an infected person touches and I then touch something else? Fairy magic?

I don't know I have one, but I don't know that I don't have one either, neither do you.
    That's why we are all supposed to be cutting out non essential travel and social interactions... Because no one knows who has it and who doesn't. Infectious people aren't writhing on the ground with blood coming out of their eyes! This isn't 28 days later mate.

The mind boggles.

Oh god where to begin

Do you have any idea what the research has found on asymptomatic cases? Only 1 in 5 cases are asymptomatic. (17%). Research also shows us that asymptomatic people passing the virus to others in their home is about one-quarter of the risk of transmission from a symptomatic person. The risk drops dramatically in a public setting

This is all research that has happened over the past 9 months yet the messaging from NPHET hasn’t changed. The research has regularly updated WHO and ECDC advice but not the advice in Ireland

There is currently no evidence for a universal screening program of asymptomatic patients in the absence of contact tracing which pours water on the notion that we’re all harbouring an infectious disease around.

Beasty wrote: »

It's not our government announcement. France has banned any vehicles from its ports at least for the night, they said responsibility for the decisions will be handed over from the transport department to the government tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It's as likely to be in every other EU country as Ireland.

You seem to, incorrectly, think I am saying they will blockade us now. I specifically said if it broke out over here...

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    I would imagine they'll try and sort out the cargo element, from France to the UK, in the next week or so. The "emergency brake" has been pulled until they can work out better logistics pending an EU meeting.

EU meeting for an EU wide approach is scheduled for 11am tomorrow German time. Using a mechanism reserved for national scale natural disasters, large scale terrorist attacks and the outbreak of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

faceman wrote: »
    Oh god where to begin
    Do you have any idea what the research has found on asymptomatic cases? Only 1 in 5 cases are asymptomatic. (17%). Research also shows us that asymptomatic people passing the virus to others in their home is about one-quarter of the risk of transmission from a symptomatic person. The risk drops dramatically in a public setting
    This is all research that has happened over the past 9 months yet the messaging from NPHET hasn’t changed. The research has regularly updated WHO and ECDC advice but not the advice in Ireland
    There is currently no evidence for a universal screening program of asymptomatic patients in the absence of contact tracing which pours water on the notion that we’re all harbouring an infectious disease around.

Just pointing out you could be in presymptomatic phase for a window of time.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just pointing out you could be in presymptomatic phase for a window of time.

That’s true. But it’s not the same as asymptomatic

It's not our government announcement. France has banned any vehicles from its ports at least for the night, they said responsibility for the decisions will be handed over from the transport department to the government tomorrow.

To the United Kingdom not Ireland.

The Epsilon is on route from France to Ireland right now.

https://www.ferrytracker.net/2018/01/irish-ferries-tracking.html

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You seem to, incorrectly, think I am saying they will blockade us now. I specifically said if it broke out over here...
    Possibly would. However, the fact the UK has pissed the EU off a lot recently means they've bene less inclined to be nice and are happy to cut them off for now.
    This, coupled with Brexit happening before a lot of this ban is listed, means it's not a good time for the UK and, somewhat by extension, us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

We have daily services to and from France and a route to northern Spain. Nobody will starve.

Daily accompanied services only start in early January (6x weekly DFDS Rosslare-Dunkirk, 6x weekly Stena Rosslare-Cherbourg, 3x weekly Irish Ferries Dublin-Cherbourg).

Before January, there are only a total of 4 accompanied services (2 ferries on the 22nd, 2 ferries on the 29th).

If nothing gets solved in the coming day or two, a lot of drivers who would have made their home over the landbridge will be stranded in Ireland over Christmas. This might also put into question a final pre-Christmas delivery from mainland Europe that might have come in on the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

We produce enough food to feed 36 million people. We are the 2nd most food secure nation in the world. We won't starve even with the ports and airports closed. The UK actually could.
    I didn't say we would starve, just that our selection will significantly change. I don't think we grow too many bananas for example...

Eurotunnel is closed for freight https://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/travelling-with-us/latest/covid-19/

Looking for the same for the ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Possibly would. However, the fact the UK has pissed the EU off a lot recently means they've bene less inclined to be nice

There certainly won't be any favors coming, let's put it that way.

And the Tory narrative on the vaccine and brexit for political purposes obviously peed off a lot of countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Possibly would. However, the fact the UK has pissed the EU off a lot recently means they've bene less inclined to be nice and are happy to cut them off for now.
    This, coupled with Brexit happening before a lot of this ban is listed, means it's not a good time for the UK and, somewhat by extension, us too.

If it breaks out in force here now... and we have open border with UK up north I can see us being hung by same noose.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement