Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

faceman wrote: »
    which pours water on the notion that we’re all harbouring an infectious disease around.

So where's it coming from if it's not being harboured by people who don't know they have it then?

ixoy wrote: »
    Possibly would. However, the fact the UK has pissed the EU off a lot recently means they've bene less inclined to be nice and are happy to cut them off for now.
    This, coupled with Brexit happening before a lot of this ban is listed, means it's not a good time for the UK and, somewhat by extension, us too.

I don't think niceness would come into it, ruthlessness is what's needed in these scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

So chances are we aren’t looking at a quick and easy resolution to this at the meeting tomorrow/cabinet on Tuesday..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

How much of this is Covid, how much of this is the EU /France putting the squeeze on Boris and Co over Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Weirdly I saw 3 UK reg cars in my local rural area today. I guess they are Irish coming home.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How much of this is Covid, how much of this is the EU /France putting the squeeze on Boris and Co over Brexit?

UK numbers are out of control.

It's their own making.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

100% of it is covid.

El Salvador are even doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

It’s Covid.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You seriously think the EU would play games over Covid?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If it breaks out in force here now... and we have open border with UK up north I can see us being hung by same noose.
    If it's virulent as suspected, it's not just Ireland who is going to suffer a spread. Yes, we share a border but there's lots of other countries that have high volumes of traffic. Luckily, we're (even still) at a relatively low base.

This is hopefully a scenario where correlation and causation are not the same thing and the reason for the spread is people misbehaving. Unlikely enough, but it's the first time you hope people are just behaving badly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

If it breaks out in force here now... and we have open border with UK up north I can see us being hung by same noose.

What other European countries sequence as much as the UK, Denmark has already detected a handful of cases and that's not a big destination for Brits.
    Point being that this newer strain may already be reproducing on mainland Europe and Ireland it's just that it hasn't been sequenced yet.
    It's probably good that there is a travel ban from British but as we saw with the Spanish strain there is a lag time for detection of different varieties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Christmas cant be cancelled now. Doubtful any extra restrictions will be brought in here. The gamble to allow some sort of Christmas looks like it is going to spectacularly backfire.
    Today's cases could be the start of a grim trend.

The UK have 100 vaccination centres and 356k people vaccinated already. By next weekend they will have 400 centres and well over 500k vaccinations carried out

How many do we have?

Johnson and Johnson need to hurry up with their single dose, room temperature stored vaccine. Logistics of Pfizer vaccine are too difficult to be efficient

That’s true. But it’s not the same as asymptomatic

Does it matter if you catch it from someone who is presymptomatic or asymptomatic? I haven't seen this research yet, do you have a link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What other European countries sequence as much as the UK, Denmark has already detected a handful of cases and that's not a big destination for Brits.
    Point being that this newer strain may already be reproducing on mainland Europe and Ireland it's just that it hasn't been sequenced yet.
    It's probably good that there is a travel ban from British but as we saw with the Spanish strain there is a lag time for detection of different varieties.

It’s definitely here. Based of the U.K. spread it will take 2-3 months to become an issue. Hopefully the vaccine has taken effect by then

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's already here. And in France, and in Amsterdam and Brussels.

We've been here before in February. When we heard a positive case had come through Dublin to Belfast, the media were all about "have they given it to anyone in the Republic". But it was already here, building up in the population.

The odds that this new strain hasn't escaped from London onto mainland Europe is practically zero. It's been in circulation for weeks at this point.

Within a few days it'll be business as usual when France detects this new strain in patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Beasty wrote: »
    You seriously think the EU would play games over Covid?

Not games but there are always ways to get a message across and the UK economy and supply chains are highly vulnerable to disruption particularly Dover - Calais. That's just a fact and whether intended that way or not the French know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

It's definitely Covid!

Be interesting to see if it's in the US, their numbers are ridiculous lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It’s definitely here. Based of the U.K. spread it will take 2-3 months to become an issue. Hopefully the vaccine has taken effect by then

I'd put my highest quality tin foil hat on here and say that the reaction you are seeing is because either what the British government says is simply not trusted, there is a belief that information is being withheld, or there is further information out there not available to the public.

This is always a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

My post applies to people that live in the UK. I know they must be absolutely wanting to get home. But it’s more harm than good, potentially bringing it to their family members or others and just simply spreading it.

Sensible thing is to just have xmas there, I see lads on the news tonight that got home, and all excited etc etc but deep down they must know that they could most likely give it to their families - busy airport, airtight aeroplanes, probably on the tube etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

It's definitely Covid!

Definitely Brexit you mean...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

These are the type of people you're dealing with

https://twitter.com/KilclooneyJohn/status/1340702154168950786?s=20

He wouldn't be in the majority in his thinking.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1340794029987000325?s=19

Nothing from stormont yet... other tweets say not much agreement and won't go on much longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

GreeBo wrote: »
    Does it matter if you catch it from someone who is presymptomatic or asymptomatic? I haven't seen this research yet, do you have a link?

The evidence is less clear on presymptomatic transmission. It is generally accepted that presymptomatic can be considered from 1-3 days prior to the showing of symptoms. But in studies on transmission, many make assumptions in the absence of objectiveness in patient surveys.

One of the biggest challenges is awareness of symptoms. Interestingly younger people are far more likely to identify symptoms than older people

Asymptomatic research shows it’s far harder for someone who is asymptomatic to pass the virus. Makes sense really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Nothing from stormont yet... other tweets say not much agreement and won't go on much longer.

Arlene is going to fly to London to ask what Boris reckons. Come on Arleny.

I'd put my highest quality tin foil hat on here and say that the reaction you are seeing is because either what the British government says is simply not trusted, there is a belief that information is being withheld, or there is further information out there not available to the public.

I’m not one for conspiracy theories but part of me things that the U.K. government is using this as an excuse to finally tackle the virus head on.

I’ve already read one academic journal which did not find an increased contagiousness of the new strain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Bit of a waste of time. The DUP would rather invite people infected with the new strain to NI so that they can have a disease in common with the rest of Britain, than limit travel between NI and GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

Wow I'm agreeing with you on this, I feel.... Dirty.

But seriously, I agree there is a possibility of this in my mind.

Footage of London this afternoon:

https://youtu.be/eCdRFMp8Xwo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

no..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You think the UK made up research and the EU believed it because of Brexit?

Advertisement