Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I'd put my highest quality tin foil hat on here and say that the reaction you are seeing is because either what the British government says is simply not trusted, there is a belief that information is being withheld, or there is further information out there not available to the public.

This is always a possibility.

Doesn't need to be that elaborate, there is a new strain, might be worse for transmission, possibly considerably worse. It definitely exists. The UK (and a lot of other European countries too AFAIK France has a higher daily death rate than the UK but that will be ignored) have serious issues with spread, dramatic measures with a large emphasis on a dangerous new strain will cut through lockdown fatigue and remind people that things aren't normal, and it has the advantage that it's possibly true too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭BryanMartin21

Beasty wrote: »
    You seriously think the EU would play games over Covid?

I actually thought of this as well.

Potential reason for both sides to say "we have agreed to a temporary Brexit extension due to the recent escalation of the covid situation in the UK"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

faceman wrote: »
    It’s definitely here. Based of the U.K. spread it will take 2-3 months to become an issue. Hopefully the vaccine has taken effect by then

There ae concerns that the vaccine will not protect against the new strain. Hence the righteous panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I actually thought of this as well.

Potential reason for both sides to say "we have agreed to a temporary Brexit extension due to the recent escalation of the covid situation in the UK"?

<tinfoil>

It also has the benefit of giving Boris Johnson cover for an extension of talks...

</tinfoil>

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

<tinfoil>

It also has the benefit of giving Boris Johnson cover for an extension of talks...

</tinfoil>

To be honest that's crossed my mind as well. It's at least a coincidence that flights across Europe being grounded was a prediction from a No Deal outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

<tinfoil>

</tinfoil>

I don't think extra time for talks will help get back onside all the people he just put into tier4, it wouldn't be a logical decision if it was voluntary.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Graces7 wrote: »
    There ae concerns that the vaccine will not protect against the new strain. Hence the righteous panic.
    Everything I've heard so far is they expect it will

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So NI executive will issue trong advice to anyone on Tier 4 areas in Britain not to travel to N Ireland but that's it. They fudged it.

So NI executive will issue trong advice to anyone on Tier 4 areas in Britain not to travel to N Ireland but that's it. They fudged it.

Once again ideology gets in the way of common sense. Any wonder they have one of Europe's worst outbreaks. Ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Not too surprising but a pity all the same. They have a very high number of cases there.

I'm glad we went ahead regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Once again ideology gets in the way of common sense. Any wonder they have one of Europe's worst outbreaks. Ludicrous.

The DUP are still trying to get their heads around the concept of evolution so best not to rush these things

Beasty wrote: »
    Everything I've heard so far is they expect it will

I have even read that in the Faily Dail that it is more easily spread but no less impacted by the vaccine. Swapping the tinfoil for a more reasonable looking hat, I think it's the uncertainty of the new and improved covid strain and the low risk of screwing many people so close to Christmas which has resulted in these unprecedented (I think - maybe the Icelandic volcano?) travel blackout measures.

Actually north's health minister to consult legality of a ban

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1340807608748417029

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Graces7 wrote: »

Think you pulled that out of your A - Hole mate.

Actually north's health minister to consult legality of a ban

https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1340807608748417029

I think it's funny. Yes, there should be a fantastic contact track and trace system combined with rapid testing but there isn't. So the travel ban is being introduced in this context, get over it I would say to the moaning. Could they deliver what they argue should be in place in the next few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ECDC report:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/threat-assessment-brief-rapid-increase-sars-cov-2-variant-united-kingdom
    "This new variant has emerged at a time of the year when there has traditionally been increased family and social mixing. There is no indication at this point of increased infection severity associated with the new variant."

ECDC report:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/threat-assessment-brief-rapid-increase-sars-cov-2-variant-united-kingdom
    "This new variant has emerged at a time of the year when there has traditionally been increased family and social mixing. There is no indication at this point of increased infection severity associated with the new variant."

In my lay interpretation, surely it's just like the way the flu mutates each year?

Also:
    https://twitter.com/afp/status/1340734983661600769?s=21

Complete overreaction by all involved.

In my lay interpretation, surely it's just like the way the flu mutates each year?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

I think it's funny. Yes, there should be a fantastic contact track and trace system combined with rapid testing but there isn't. So the travel ban is being introduced in this context, get over it I would say to the moaning. Could they deliver what they argue should be in place in the next few days?
    They've had nine months to deliver this.......

• Advertisement

Also:

Is this related to the UK travel ban though?

As in, is the ban due to the new strain and/or the spike in cases etc. And/or Brexit?

They've had nine months to deliver this.......

No, I agree. My argument against their complaints is that it's all well and good complaining that we should have it in place, and I agree with that, but at least this travel ban, albeit bluntly, gets the job done in the short term, more than time it would take to correct the contact tracing system. No?

Is this related to the UK travel ban though?

As in, is the ban due to the new strain and/or the spike in cases etc. And/or Brexit?

The travel ban is because of this new “mutation” which the ECDC are saying is no different and Irish health sources are saying is a complete overreaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Also:

We don't have the vaccine yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The travel ban is because of this new “mutation” which the ECDC are saying is no different and Irish health sources are saying is a complete overreaction.

The ECDC said it's 70% more transmissible but doesn't increase the severity of symptoms. And also say timely prevention measures are needed to reduce the spread. Read your own link.

GarIT wrote: »
    We don't have the vaccine yet.

? Pfizer vaccine is being approved by the EU tomorrow. Already approved in US, Canada, Switzerland.

So yes, we do have a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

? Pfizer vaccine is being approved by the EU tomorrow. Already approved in US, Canada, Switzerland.

Well not really now, because it's going to take months for it to be available for everyone.

GarIT wrote: »
    The ECDC said it's 70% more transmissible but doesn't increase the severity of symptoms.

Think you need to read the report. It says there is a lack of evidence to back up any of the claims made by the UK so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

No, we have approval. Can you stick approval in my arm?

Beverly Hills, California

• Advertisement

Well not really now, because it's going to take months for it to be available for everyone.

Everyone doesn’t need it. Once vulnerable people are covered then it doesn’t really matter. Anyway, this isn’t the vaccine thread so I digress.

Advertisement