Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear Brake Loose, Not Slowing Me Down Enough

Options
  • 20-12-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

For the past few weeks my rear brake has become more and more loose, to the point where I can barely use it anymore to slow myself down. This is incredibly challenging when going down a hill or coming to a crossing.

I have started lightly pulling my front brake which I don't feel comfortable doing, as I'm usually used to pulling the left brake to slow down, then eventually using the right brake to come to a stop when safe.

I don't want to mess around with the brake pads(?) without advice, in case I make it worse. And before I decide to take it 20 minutes down the road to Halfords, I figured I'd ask here in case the issue is much easier to solve than I think.

On the topic of my right/front brake, it does an awfully loud squeak when I pull it, so loud it draws eyes from passers-by, as it sounds like I've suddenly braked hard.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to cycling in general and I've had my bike since mid-late September. The bike I have was cheap enough so I don't expect it to be built with the best parts, nevertheless it's been great as a starter bike to get me going. I use it every day from Monday - Friday to get to and from work. The bike is an 'Apollo Slant Mens Mountain Bike' if that's also any help.

I've attached an image in case anyone needs the reference.

566122?w=1060&h=429&qlt=75&fmt=webp&v=1

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

best bet is to take a photo of the brake blocks, to confirm they're not worn.
    when you say 'loose', i assume you mean there's too much travel of the brake lever before you feel the brakes start to take effect? there are usually adjustments you can make at the lever and/or brake to take up slack in the cable to account for this as cables and components bed in.

this video might help explain squeal:

one thing to note, there's a saying that back brakes are for slowing down, front brakes are for stopping. front brakes have greater braking power/effect on your speed, and that's because as you brake the weight shifts forward so the front wheel takes more pressure and thus more grip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As MB indicates, start using your front brake more regardless, don't slam it down, just gently squeeze to slow and increase how hard you squeeze as you slow until you stop. if you are nervous, practice on a straight road with no turns and little traffic until you get used to how much you need to modulate the brakes. After awhile it will become second nature, back brake pulling is for BMXers and those who want to skid stylishly. You can use them to contribute to your braking and slowing down but they are auxillary to your front brakes and I only use mine in an emergency.

It does just sound like either your pads are worn or the cable has slipped a bit. Both easy fixes with an Allen key that fits and a set of pads. To replace the pads, just follow the video above, to adjust the cable, you need to loosen where the brake cable attaches to the brakes itself. Use one hand to squeeze the brake pads close to the wheel rim, then pull the cable through with the other hand and then tighten the bolt with the allen key. Don't let go of the brakes until your finished. It might take one or two tries to get how close to the rims you need to pinch the brakes.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

CramCycle wrote: »
    As MB indicates, start using your front brake more regardless, don't slam it down, just gently squeeze to slow and increase how hard you squeeze as you slow until you stop. if you are nervous, practice on a straight road with no turns and little traffic until you get used to how much you need to modulate the brakes. After awhile it will become second nature, back brake pulling is for BMXers and those who want to skid stylishly. You can use them to contribute to your braking and slowing down but they are auxillary to your front brakes and I only use mine in an emergency.

It does just sound like either your pads are worn or the cable has slipped a bit. Both easy fixes with an Allen key that fits and a set of pads. To replace the pads, just follow the video above, to adjust the cable, you need to loosen where the brake cable attaches to the brakes itself. Use one hand to squeeze the brake pads close to the wheel rim, then pull the cable through with the other hand and then tighten the bolt with the allen key. Don't let go of the brakes until your finished. It might take one or two tries to get how close to the rims you need to pinch the brakes.

Where are you based?

I tried to fix it this morning but I think I made it worse lol Granted I was in a rush to get to work. The rear pad is just screaming every time I pull on it now. I was cycling through town today and I swear I drew a hundred eyes at me every time I attempted to brake.

I'm based in Kilkenny City.

I always used the left brake to gradually slow down, I know it's not meant to forcefully stop me as the front brake would. My issue is that it's not slowing me down anymore. I nearly always have to panic-pull the front brake at the last second because of it.

I'll have another look at the video and see where I went wrong. If push comes to shove I might have to bring it to Halfords and get someone that knows what they're doing to look at it for me. I kinda need that bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The screech is probably metal on metal.

A pair of pads/brakes for that won't cost much, if its your way to work definitely worth it. Especially in the winter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always used the left brake to gradually slow down, I know it's not meant to forcefully stop me as the front brake would. My issue is that it's not slowing me down anymore. I nearly always have to panic-pull the front brake at the last second because of it.

Practice with your front brake, you should be able to gradually slow down with it as well, basically just don't squeeze as hard. Every situation is different but practice as your front brake should become your main brake for slowing and stopping.

Also if you get them to fit your brake pads, stay there and watch them and you will see how easy it is for the next time you need to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

James May you fecking genius. I forgot to do the credit card trick. I just looked at the block example and took it from there. As i said I was in a rush to leave.

I watched the whole video again and while I will still need to give my rear brakes a tweaking, my front brakes are working differently now, i can gradually slow down perfectly with the front brake and stop exactly when I need to. No banshee screams coming from either pads as well.

I'm on the right track.

Thanks lads.

Update

I was able to slightly tighten the rear brakes. Now my bike is braking the way I want it.

Lads ye're all legends. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Better brake pads can also help. Not sure about Mountain bike rim brakes, but on my road bike the Shimano 105 brakes were terrible in the wet and only average in the dry, important to note I'm a big guy. No amount of cleaning the rim/pads would help so they weren't dirty. A set of SwissStop pads worked so much better.

Once your brakes are lined up properly and the cables have enough tension to account for wear, cleaning the rim with some wet kitchen roll and a better set of pads can transform your braking. Nothing worse than grabbing a handful of brake in the wet and just not slowing down!

Advertisement