Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to shut off hot water

• 21-12-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys.
    Would like to replace the mixer tap in the kitchen.
    There isn't any valve for hot water under sink.
    There is 2 valves near boiler.
    One is on pipe going directly to bottom of boiler ( pipe is cold)
    Second is on pipe going on and out from attic.
    Any suggestions how can I shut off hot water?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The pipe feeding into the bottom of the cylinder will be the feed to the tank to then output hotwater to the top. You would close the tap on that bottom feed to stop flow coming out to hot taps. Close and try run hot taps they should slow within seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

Check if feed to cold tap is coming directly off main, it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wentar

listermint wrote: »
    The pipe feeding into the bottom of the cylinder will be the feed to the tank to then output hotwater to the top. You would close the tap on that bottom feed to stop flow coming out to hot taps. Close and try run hot taps they should slow within seconds.

Thank you for quick response.
    Ive closed the valve on feed pipe. Water has change from hot to cold very quickly with the same pressure.
    When close the other one cold water tap in bathroom shut off. In the kitchen cold water still flowing.
    There is a water tank on the attic.
    Should I shut off the feed pipe and let the water run to emptying the tank? Is that make any sense? Bit confused now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Each time you service an outlet and the system is drained just fit service valves onto each pipe then next time no problem you can turn off each outlet with ease. Why does no one do this? I have no clue as they cost pennies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

freddyuk wrote: »
    Each time you service an outlet and the system is drained just fit service valves onto each pipe then next time no problem you can turn off each outlet with ease. Why does no one do this? I have no clue as they cost pennies.

Well Euros. It's prob 2.50 or more for the fitting :)

But yes it's a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

wentar wrote: »
    Thank you for quick response.
    Ive closed the valve on feed pipe. Water has change from hot to cold very quickly with the same pressure.
    When close the other one cold water tap in bathroom shut off. In the kitchen cold water still flowing.
    There is a water tank on the attic.
    Should I shut off the feed pipe and let the water run to emptying the tank? Is that make any sense? Bit confused now :)

As I mentioned previously the cold water in kitchen is probably (should be) coming directly from water main and not from tank in attic. So if you close the valve on mains water supply to house and the valve on the hot water supply to tap there's no need to drain attic storage tank.
    Don't forget to open both valves when work is complete !

Advertisement