Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quality stuff

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

jimini0 wrote: »
    When you first got a washing machine, did ye all sit there watching it do it's first wash ? :D We did, remember being somewhat nervous and excited when it done the spin ha

And the proper instructions on how to use it written on paper and taped to the front of it.
    With a highlighted part about what not to do[/quote]

You've reminded me of a Kevin mcalear story of when they bought a TV, all the children sat in a circle around it for 4 hours until granny said will we turn it on. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

148multi wrote: »
    And the proper instructions on how to use it written on paper and taped to the front of it.
    With a highlighted part about what not to do

You've reminded me of a Kevin mcalear story of when they bought a TV, all the children sat in a circle around it for 4 hours until granny said will we turn it on. ðŸ˜[/quote]

"Half of us watching the back of it for God sake."

Have a video of that Turn It On tour somewhere in the house.but alas no video player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

Some brands still make good tools. Father has a 9inch Makita angle grinder. He wouldn't exactly be sensitive with the treatment of it. Must have it 10 years now, 10 hard years cutting steel and concrete blocks on occasion. Think it's had a few sets of brushes but that's all and it still works away fine. He's a big Makita fan now as a result and buys nothing else.

But as for older stuff being good, it's generally correct. Dad also has a Hitachi 13mm corded drill from the 80s that was his father's. Still works perfectly, again only a few sets of brushes is all it has cost him. He also had a very large Fein hammer action drill that would sprain your wrist if the bit jammed in anything. Serious yoke, again from the 80s. Can't remember what part went in it but he couldn't get spares to repair it which was a shame. Replaced by a Makita which is going very well. We have an old atlas copco compressor that's nearly 40 years old too and still going strong. We have an unknown brand air cooled welder too from the 80s that the old fella brought from a factory that he worked in that closed down, has done a lot of welding and still works perfectly. Needed a new engineering vice last year too, modern Irwin vices are reasonably priced but reading around the internet got me to believe that they're not as good as the old Record vices that they replaced. Found a lovely 6inch engineers vice on Donedeal for €350, will see the old fella out. Those old vices really do last.

Bosch stuff isnt what it once was. We had a 4 inch grinder that got light use and it didn't last. Old Record/Stanley woodworking tools command a premium on donedeal and the likes still as the steel was superior in them in comparison to modern tools.

When it comes to tools and equipment the motto should be to but dear but buy once. In general you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

A good friend of mine tells me that he is not wealthy enough to buy cheap stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Grueller wrote: »
    A good friend of mine tells me that he is not wealthy enough to buy cheap stuff.

That's one observant and wise friend you have Grueller. Great observation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

As regards angle grinders we find Hitachi/hikocki the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Its like my old fan cooled welder that is still working fine after 25 years. Neighbour bought an inverter type one 2 years ago and it died just after the 2 year warranty was up. Guy who sold it to him said it would cost a lot to repair.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Its like my old fan cooled welder that is still working fine after 25 years. Neighbour bought an inverter type one 2 years ago and it died just after the 2 year warranty was up. Guy who sold it to him said it would cost a lot to repair.

It's interesting though.

A lot of corded stuff has input capacitors that tend to go. Easy fix if you know where to get replacements, but most would probably bin the tool.

There's just no market for lower end second hand tools. Shame really. The amount of quality stuff dumped in "recycling" centres is atrocious.
    Power washer seals usually the first to go. Fiddly to fix, but cheap, and again, theyre usually dumped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

I was in the local hardware few years back
    Next doors missus was there gettng a new washing machine. Wanted it delivered that day the lad at the counter said it would be at least the next week. He asked me if I would drop it at her house and cleared it with her. I took the machine up to the house. Plumbed it in she asked if I would drop the old one back to the shop. I took it and between everything just left it in the shed at home. A mate that dabbles in that stuff seen it and asked about told him it was broke and I should have dropped it back to the shop. He looked it over then took the back off it and said ah the same as the last one. A wire broke in the loom had it fixed in 10 minutes. I wash all the farm clothes in it since. Some off the stuff thrown out is madness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Similar to above.
    Local clay shooting club have a shipping container as a kind of club room, and place to boil a kettle for tea/coffee.
    Arrived one week to find a brand new gas/electric range type cooker there.
    Four ovens and six rings.
    Like new.
    One of the lads had met his neighbour heading to the dump with it in a trailer.
    The missus had used Ajax or something on the front and all the writing on the dials had come off.
    She declared it ruined and was getting a new one ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Seen it before in the recycling centre.
    Pulled a few karcher washers out and made one working one. Perfect condition and plenty of spares should it ever break.

Grandad was a pest for pulling Lidl and Aldi tools out of the bins and returning them for replacements.
    They've a 3 year warranty and usually just dumped. He'd either bring them back and get a replacement, or call up the helpline and get free spare parts. The man had more tools than he knows what to do with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Similar to above.
    Local clay shooting club have a shipping container as a kind of club room, and place to boil a kettle for tea/coffee.
    Arrived one week to find a brand new gas/electric range type cooker there.
    Four ovens and six rings.
    Like new.
    One of the lads had met his neighbour heading to the dump with it in a trailer.
    The missus had used Ajax or something on the front and all the writing on the dials had come off.
    She declared it ruined and was getting a new one ....

That happened us, just got a sharpie pen and wrote the numbers back around the dial area :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

Back in the last boom I was working on a house in Howth and the owner asked could she use the skip when we were near finished. They had bought a house while we were working on this one and all new equipment. She started landing up with six month old flat screen TVs because the interior designer said the surrounds didn’t suit the new house. Needless to say there wasn’t much left in the skip that evening, with one lad even strapping a four post bed to the roof of his car. All dismantled just to be clear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Who2 wrote: »
    Back in the last boom I was working on a house in Howrah and the owner asked could she use the skip when we were near finished. They had bought a house while we were working on this one and all new equipment. She started landing up with six month old flat screen TVs because the interior designer said the surrounds didn’t suit the new house. Needless to say there wasn’t much left in the skip that evening, with one lad even strapping a four post bed to the roof of his car. All dismantled just to be clear.

Was in Dalkey a couple of times, first time I says to mrs b ‘I’d love to be a bin man in Dalkey’ poor woman was mortified.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Feckers deliberately make it awkward to fix things now. Washing machine packed up last Christmas and I had a suspicion it was the brushes in the motor.
    3 screws to get the motor out. 2 are accessible and the 3rd is behind a solid steel backplate. Drilled an 8mm hole to give me access to it.
    Machine had to be tilted arseways to get the motor out. Brushes were gone as suspected. Think it was 16 quid for a new set. Job done and the machine is going perfect ever since.
    I've fixed the tumble dryer twice and done the dishwasher at least 3 times.
    It's a combination of meanness and pig headiness with me to be fair!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Feckers deliberately make it awkward to fix things now. Washing machine packed up last Christmas and I had a suspicion it was the brushes in the motor.
    3 screws to get the motor out. 2 are accessible and the 3rd is behind a solid steel backplate. Drilled an 8mm hole to give me access to it.
    Machine had to be tilted arseways to get the motor out. Brushes were gone as suspected. Think it was 16 quid for a new set. Job done and the machine is going perfect ever since.
    I've fixed the tumble dryer twice and done the dishwasher at least 3 times.
    It's a combination of meanness and pig headiness with me to be fair!!

It s the trill of it too when you get it back going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

I keep a load of old Mira Showers and parts as backup for my own, never had to buy one.

I go to a local guy for washing machine parts, mainly dashes and drums for my own

Have a Hilti drill that outlasted everything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I pulled a Henry hoover out of a builders skip about ten or eleven years ago.
    They must have used it to suck up and and grit without a bag, was clogged solid.
    Good cleaning, and a new extra long hose and handle from eBay (£14) and its working perfectly still.

Advertisement