Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambling Culture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Lot of degenerates down the bookies.

The itinerary seems to be Post Office (for weekly free money) to Off Licence to Bookies.

Life is grand!
    Hapoy Xmas.

I never do it myself but yet them at it and mind your own. It’s legal and they’re adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

begbysback wrote: »
    The horse racing industry in Ireland has massive influence on the government, one indication of this is the 0% tax on gambling. Where else do you see 0% tax on a billion dollar industry.

AFAIK there is now a 1% tax on gambling and the bookies fought tooth and nail against that at the time, Boyle Sports even had posters in their windows saying the government was going to be responsible for job losses because of this 1% tax. It used to be 10% until Charlie McCreevy (a very good friend of the horse racing industry) reduced it down to 0% during the Celtic Tiger years. I agree with you that the gambling industry have basically been given a free ride when it comes to taxation. Theres also questions to be asked about their use of tax havens while selling their products into markets but not paying tax there.
    tdf7187 wrote: »
    "Get Real" is correct, it is not well regulated.

Gambling in Ireland is not regulated at all full stop, since 2013 FG have promised to set up an independent Gambling Regulator but this has been delayed until 2021 at the earliest now. Meanwhile in the UK the Gambling Commission has been established since 2005 and they regulate everything from the national lottery to horses to bingo. They have real teeth too, only 8 weeks ago they fined Boylesports £2.3million for not taking serious their obligations under anti money laundering legislation.

When our regulator does get set up expect to see that the gambling companies have their fingerprints all over the legislation. Where there are fines they will be in the tens of thousands and not denominated in millions. Its how we always do regulation in this country, all our regulators like Comreg are basically strawmen with no teeth and no legislation backing up their ability to actually regulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Theres help for them if they want it, like alcos and junkies they make the bad choices, I feel sympathy for them but we can't regulate for every poor soul that makes wrong decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Just past a bookies and they were 4 people outside waiting to go inside for a bet....I was like, have they nothing else to do ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Just past a bookies and they were 4 people outside waiting to go inside for a bet....I was like, have they nothing else to do ?

If they are not doing you any harm, why do you care what other people are doing?

People going to the pub
    People queuing in the airport to go on holidays
    People going to religious services
    People queueing for bargains in shops
    People going to sporting events
    People going to theatres or shows
    People out for a walk

Like, have they nothing else to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Often wonder about folk working online for P Power etc aggressively targeting segmented audiences. No different than a beer or sports shoe company I suppose but ethically there must *some* questions asked at campaign planning meetings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

Granadino wrote: »
    Often wonder about folk working online for P Power etc aggressively targeting segmented audiences. No different than a beer or sports shoe company I suppose but ethically there must *some* questions asked at campaign planning meetings?

They're job is to hoover up money akin to fishing trawlers

No ethics

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The amount of bookies we have in the country is insane. Seedy hellholes designed to extract cash from lonely men.

Id love to ban them completely and leave its depravity only to the internet , but knowing that will never happen id love to see bookies only be allowed open 4pm till 8pm to stop them being the welfare to corporate profit conversion shops all day at my expense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The amount of bookies we have in the country is insane. Seedy hellholes designed to extract cash from lonely men.

Id love to ban them completely and leave its depravity only to the internet , but knowing that will never happen id love to see bookies only be allowed open 4pm till 8pm to stop them being the welfare to corporate profit conversion shops all day at my expense

The money will still be handed out “at your expense”, so why so nosy about where it goes??

Most of the young lads see the free bets and sign up

Some become addicts

And of course the insidious advertising which associates gambling and sport for a younger audience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Like everything else in this world. Some people enjoy it, some people want it banned and others cant control themselves and let's it take over their lives.

Personally I enjoy blowing a few quid on the big festivals and race days. I love the build up to Cheltemham and would have a couple of hundred quid in the Ante post Market by Christmas for Cheltenham.

I have a comfortable life, the kids dont want for anything and all my Bill's are paid on time so why should I have one of my pastimes moderated because some ejits have no moderation

piplip87 wrote: »
    Like everything else in this world. Some people enjoy it, some people want it banned and others cant control themselves and let's it take over their lives.

Personally I enjoy blowing a few quid on the big festivals and race days. I love the build up to Cheltemham and would have a couple of hundred quid in the Ante post Market by Christmas for Cheltenham.

I have a comfortable life, the kids dont want for anything and all my Bill's are paid on time so why should I have one of my pastimes moderated because some ejits have no moderation

Exactly. Gambling isn’t the issue, the people that have a problem with it are the issue. It’s like lots of things, but you’ll always have the crew who think the only things people should ever do are the things they do themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

Where were you going that you had to pass a bookies?

Surely you had something better to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

When gambling the most important thing ain't cash ...its having discipline .
    I've not had a bet since 1997 .
    It cost me a fortune . I had no discipline .
    When I was gambling there was a 10% tax , there should be a betting tax and it should be used by the government to give help to those that require it .
    Gambling should just be a hobby , no harm in going to the pub and having a few bets .
    The harm all comes when your the first into the bookies and last to leave .
    I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy .
    I had my wages on a Friday and many times on the same day went home without a cent .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Not into it and glad I'm not. The amount of lads with the phone out gambling away in the pub during a match is nuts now.
    Golf seems to be big now for gambling, never heard of it years ago.
    I wonder is there more problem gamblers nowadays to say 20/30 years ago, I reckon so.

piplip87 wrote: »

Regulation and Banning are 2 different things

You're post is just an im alright jack speech and a fake argument

• Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Arghus wrote: »
    The messages that say "Please gamble responsibly" crack me up.

In other words, please gamble right up to the point when it becomes problematic.

Yeah just like the "drink responsibly" ads crack me up too.

Gambling, like most things, is as bad as a government allows it to be. Enforced timeouts for someone with a pattern online, or the power for cashiers to be able to throw someone out of a shop like a boozer has can go a long way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I gamble a fair bit.

Never bet what you cannot afford to lose.

You win sometimes , you lose sometimes.

It really is not anyones else's business, as per usual it is people who don't understand it, that have the most contempt for it.

I have won some lovely amounts of money and I have gone months without a winner, it happens. But the key is as i said in the second line above ... and enjoy it, that is massively important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Granadino wrote: »

Segmented audiences.....do you think it's just "lowly shams" that have a problem with gambling?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I had my wages on a Friday and many times on the same day went home without a cent .

Maybe to help it for all sides :

1) You'd have to have an account to gamble - no more money over the counter

2) To open the account you'd have to declare proof of income

3) The bookie would only be allowed take say 10 .... 15 ish % of proven income per week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Well done but you are in the mimority.I know there are people astute and careful enough to make money from it through discipline and hard work.

Overall though, It is a toxic industry that does more harm than good.

I didn't make my money through betting, I made it by working in the industry. Great industry to work in. Absolutely loved it. Not really a gambler myself because I know the house always wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

When gambling the most important thing ain't cash ...its having discipline .
    I've not had a bet since 1997 .
    It cost me a fortune . I had no discipline .
    When I was gambling there was a 10% tax , there should be a betting tax and it should be used by the government to give help to those that require it .
    Gambling should just be a hobby , no harm in going to the pub and having a few bets .
    The harm all comes when your the first into the bookies and last to leave .
    I wouldn't wish that on my worse enemy .

Just because you and others can't bet sensibly doesn't mean no one else ought to be allowed to!

So should we have a tax on drinking, hurling, cutting your grass, walking the dog so that is someone comes a cropper doing any of those things they can be helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I didn't make my money through betting, I made it by working in the industry. Great industry to work in. Absolutely loved it. Not really a gambler myself because I know the house always wins.

Was part of your job shutting winning gamblers down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Regulation and Banning are 2 different things

You're post is just an im alright jack speech and a fake argument

He's right. People have free will. It is not the state's job to stop other people doing what a small number cannot handle responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Allinall wrote: »
    Where were you going that you had to pass a bookies?

Surely you had something better to be doing.

Lol, I was walking, simple as that, no other motive

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Just because you and others can't bet sensibly doesn't mean no one else ought to be allowed to!

So should we have a tax on drinking, hurling, cutting your grass, walking the dog so that is someone comes a cropper doing any of those things they can be helped :)

What a stupid comment ....if walking your dog , cutting your grass caused as many problems to Irish families as gambling or drinking or drug use than yes tax it to help with rehab .
    I hope a gambling addiction or any other addiction doesn't visit your family .
    But beleive me the law of averages suggest one day it will .

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

The industry certainly shouldn't be legally permitted to advertise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What a stupid comment ....if walking your dog , cutting your grass caused as many problems to Irish families as gambling or drinking or drug use than yes tax it to help with rehab .
    I hope a gambling addiction or any other addiction doesn't visit your family .
    But beleive me the law of averages suggest one day it will .

Gambling is taxed. How many times does it need to be said??

Advertisement