Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to dig and level soil

Options
  • 21-12-2020 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just cleared out my garden (about 40sqm) which was mostly over-grown with weeds.

Right now, the next job is to level off the garden properly as its quite lumpy and uneven. Any clever ideas?
    Other than breaking my back with a shovel I was considering a rotivator to break up the soil and then rake level as possible.

Anything else I should be considering?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

I bought an electric rotovator in Lidl two years ago. Sorry I had not discovered a rotovator earlier as it takes the heart ache out of digging the garden. So I would suggest a rotovator. However the soil must be very wet at the moment and might be difficult to work either with a spade or rotovator. But I'll leave it to those more expert......
    Leveling really is rake work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

The rotovator is the job, well worth hiring as it will fly through the job, also ask if they have a lawn leveler attachment with which you can grade and level it to perfection, I have my own unit with all the attachments and it makes gardening a doddle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Another vote for a decent rotovator. I have a petrol model with a working width of about 75cm. Until this year, it has been my go-to tool for conditioning cleared ground prior to levelling and eventually planting. My machine has two blades on each side of the "hub" which gives me a nice line between two beds of 30cm (expanded to 60cm on the return journey). The only reason it's not the go-to tool this year is because I've cleared and worked all the "easy" areas, and have now upgraded to a mini-digger for the next phase, as I have to deal with loads of thick roots and really, really heavy clay subsoil. But I'll probably sell the digger before I sell the rotovator!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Thanks all for the advice. Will go with the rotivator in March, level it and seed it as best I can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wait4me wrote: »
    I bought an electric rotovator in Lidl two years ago.
    was it a rotovator or a tiller? i don't recall them having rotovators, certainly nothing particularly heavy.
    rotovators are fairly easy to hire AFAIK anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Sorry for the late reply magicbastarder; it was a tiller and not a rotovator. My bad. Whatever we call it, it still it does the backbreaking work for me and the best investment I have made in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 human2

Personally I wouldn't rotovate -if you are putting in grass its too much unnecessary backbreaking hard work! Better off using a Power rake like a TurfTeq Power Rake. Leave you with a level surface and fine tilth ready to sow. A rotovator will dig too deep which is not necessary.

Advertisement