Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedals and cycling shoes recommendations

Options
  • 21-12-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi all,
    So I have an entry level boardman road bike and looking for my first cycling shoes. I’m a uk9 and looking for recommendations that won’t break the bank?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Honestly, probably the runners you already have. Unless you’re seriously taking cycling up as a sport, then the more expert cyclists will have recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

CapnHex wrote: »
    Honestly, probably the runners you already have. Unless you’re seriously taking cycling up as a sport, then the more expert cyclists will have recommendations.

Yeah I might join a club eventually. I’m currently doing about 100km every week (2 days 50km cycles).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Two things.
    1. As said above, make sure you are into it first, get out for some long spins with just flat pedals and runners. Cycling shoes are useful but don't make as pronounced a difference as some would have you believe.

2. Once you are sure you will continue, next, where are you cycling? will you be doing much stopping/starting? and do you expect much walking about in your cycling shoes? If you are not expecting many breaks or stops or minimal walking around, I would go for SPD SL cleats and shoes that work with them, go to an LBS and get ones that fit and you like the look of, do not order online for your first pair. If you are going off road or will be doing alot of walking around, SPDs with recessed cleats are your friends. Again, buy in a LBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just to add to this, if you do decide to go with the c-shoes, a couple of things.
    T
    1. try clipping and unclipping in the shop
    2. be aware that the c-shoes will lock you feet in a particular direction: eg they will most lightly initially be // to the wheels, however you feet may not naturally be // to the wheels so look out for unusual pains and aches in the inside or outside of the knees, etc, which may point to a mis alignment of the piece in the shoe.
      There is a lot of stuff on the web about it.
      Also important to do the relevant stretches after each spin, especially with the C-shoes

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

Thanks for the helpful info! Yeah I think I’ll call into my local shop and try a few on. Most of my cycling has been on country roads with almost no stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

If you are going to buy a pair make sure you try them on instead of the temptation of buying online. Sizing between brands are all over the place. Learnt this the hard way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Thanks for the helpful info! Yeah I think I’ll call into my local shop and try a few on. Most of my cycling has been on country roads with almost no stops.

i would recommend Giro as a brand, pretty good value and quality.

the video in the link is worth a view. i would add fitting cleats is best done by someone who knows what they are doing, i fitted my own initially but had knee pain as a result so took the shoes and cleats to a LBS who employee a guy who knows a thing or two about cleat position.
    https://youtu.be/wXgqsQlFDsA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Shimano are great, both for shoes and pedals, decent value and quality throughout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

who_ru wrote: »
    i would recommend Giro as a brand, pretty good value and quality.
    All my current shoes are Giro, they just fit me better so not sure if its luck or quality but I too would recommend them.
    Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Shimano are great, both for shoes and pedals, decent value and quality throughout.
    First shoes were Shimano, having had many brands over the years, they would be 2nd place to the GIROs, but their cleats are the best, regardless of shoe type, I'd be going for the Shimano pedals and cleats, best quality and consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I also started with Shimano Shoes (R078's I think) and used them for a year or two and then moved to Diadora carbon soled shoes which I loved however Diadora seem to have moved away from cycling shoes and what they do have are ugly so i'm now using Northwave which are really nice and a perfect fit for me however not as good a fit as Diadoras were.

Definitely go to a shop and try them on as many shoes are narrow/small fitting such as Sidi, Specialized and Mavic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

CramCycle wrote: »
    All my current shoes are Giro, they just fit me better so not sure if its luck or quality but I too would recommend them.

First shoes were Shimano, having had many brands over the years, they would be 2nd place to the GIROs, but their cleats are the best, regardless of shoe type, I'd be going for the Shimano pedals and cleats, best quality and consistency.
    i had a pair of giro which fitted very well although were on the heavy side so i switched to shimano (RC5) which are lighter but kind of too narrow for me but i persist with them due to less weight. I can see myself having to change again possibly in the 'sales' - Giant gear is also pretty good quality and value. But i might return to Giro as well.

Advertisement