Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second hand laptop doesn't work after 1 year

Options
  • 21-12-2020 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

Second hand laptop doesn't work after 1 year and a couple of months, can I get a refund,
    I paid €250 for it. The receipt says warranty for a year though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm presuming you bought this from a business, if there is a receipt? There's zero rights if its off another member of the public

Realistically, for a cheap second hand laptop over a year later you're not going to get anything. If you think there is any value left in it, bring it to a repairer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

You need to read the dates properly. A year old and warranty for a year. Which side of a year. Even if it is out of warranty, maybe see can they assist you as goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm presuming you bought this from a business, if there is a receipt? There's zero rights if its off another member of the public

Realistically, for a cheap second hand laptop over a year later you're not going to get anything. If you think there is any value left in it, bring it to a repairer.

From a business I bought it yeh, brought it to a different repairer, he said the processor was gon and he couldn't find a replacement.

You need to read the dates properly. A year old and warranty for a year. Which side of a year. Even if it is out of warranty, maybe see can they assist you as goodwill.

Yeh I guess it cant hurt and if they can find a replacement processor, it'll cost a lot cheaper than new laptop thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Might be worth posting make/model, but it's really odd for a processor to break, more likely the motherboard (most laptop processors are soldered on and non-replaceable). A €250 laptop second hand would not have a very long expected lifespan (what's the entire age?).

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    Might be worth posting make/model, but it's really odd for a processor to break, more likely the motherboard (most laptop processors are soldered on and non-replaceable). A €250 laptop second hand would not have a very long expected lifespan (what's the entire age?).

Dunno the age

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd be extremely surprised if the actual processor was broken,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If you brought it for a third party repair then any and all warranty would be void either way always return to the shop or business first and foremost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Post the model number and specs. 250 for a second hand laptop, it could be a dinosaur!

Advertisement