Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

• 21-12-2020 7:48pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Right,

Lets try this the third time, as RivetRoger said in the previous thread this is a massive issues in Limerick so there needs to be a place to discuss it.

As there has been 2 previous attempts to start a thread that descended into blaming or rules not being followed or mods being questioned on thread this is a new thread to just discuss Covid in Limerick.

Any breaking of the rules or any attempts to bring up stuff that the previous 2 threads will lead to bans, not warnings or thread bans or anything else, bans for at least 2 weeks, if you think this isn't fair that's your opinion but we tried leaving the other 2 threads open and that was a nightmare both times so take this as notice of a Zero Tolerance approach to moderating.

Have you had a vaccine or appointment for vaccine? 146 votes

Yes - AZ first jab
    66% 97 votes
    Yes - Moderna first jab
    0% 0 votes
    Yes - Pfizer first jab
    2% 4 votes
    Yes - J&J
    12% 18 votes
    Yes - AZ second jab
    0% 1 vote
    Yes - Moderna second jab
    8% 12 votes
    Yes - Pfizer second jab
    9% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Mod edit to snip.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Snip

Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Thanks mod. Dogg Munde, cop on.

How are things at the moment? Seeing as our neighbours in Kerry are struggling. Or so I hear over in the Middle East.

Funny anecdote, a senior gov official told one of my staff here that Covid has "left", if only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Best wishes to everyone, have a safe and Happy Christmas. Covid is unfortunately real but hopefully by next Christmas we will be back to normal as most should be vaccinated.

Anyway I think I'm done with this thread and the Limerick forum, it's all a bit ridiculous. Take care and stay safe folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Stay safe everyone and best of luck to all, keep your heads down until you get your vaccine and normality will be returning sooner rather than later.

I am checking out of this thread also for mine and everyone elses blood pressure!

Happy Christmas Everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mod snip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The facts as I know them... 35 cases today and 70 yesterday, 14 day incidence - 152.9 yesterday, 164.7 today. Nationally 122.4 (Limerick leader)

The opinion... Sounds like there was an outbreak somewhere that has now been contained, did I hear right there was an outbreak in Tesco coonagh last week?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Mod snip

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

All fun and games waiting on the announcement tomorrow, i would imagine nice ques in dunnes and tesco tonight in anticipation!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Marty1983 wrote: »
    All fun and games waiting on the announcement tomorrow, i would imagine nice ques in dunnes and tesco tonight in anticipation!

There's an announcement tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

The facts as I know them... 35 cases today and 70 yesterday, 14 day incidence - 152.9 yesterday, 164.7 today. Nationally 122.4 (Limerick leader)

The opinion... Sounds like there was an outbreak somewhere that has now been contained, did I hear right there was an outbreak in Tesco coonagh last week?

Yes, The Clare Champion had an article about an outbreak in Tesco Coonagh Cross. I was in the shop at the weekend and it seemed fine.

There is also an outbreak that closed two hotels in the Greater Limerick area. Source: A family member who works in another hotel in the Limerick area. One of those hotels is now open for bookings, the other isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Yeah that was in the Limerick leader last week, it didn't mention numbers though.

Good to see drop in figures today but am I right in saying the real indicator is the 14 day incidence rate?I think I saw that mentioned in one of the older threads.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

School hols can't come soon enough. We got a text on Saturday that there was a confirmed case in one of the kids classes so that's all of them restricting movements until the end of the year. Friend of one of them is the same because of a case on the school bus.

That being said we don't meet many people at Xmas so not the worst, as long as she tests negative

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Marty1983 wrote: »
    There were no queues when we went or level 5 in October. There won't be queues now either. Some of these stores, like Dunnes Childers Rd, are open 24hrs and are not actually closing again until Christmas Eve and other have early opening and late closing Christmas week hours.

Plus any new restrictions won't kick in until after Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

In the Crescent this evening, and if the keelers weren't already obvious you can now identify them as people without masks, guards, security not doing a thing. It's shocking (and not just their outfits this year).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

xii wrote: »
    In the Crescent this evening, and if the keelers weren't already obvious you can now identify them as people without masks, guards, security not doing a thing. It's shocking (and not just their outfits this year).

What's a keeler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

shot in the dark .... Rath +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

sigh......this is why we cant have nice things lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

lasted a page at least :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dashoonage wrote: »
    sigh......this is why we cant have nice things lads.

Yup. Let's see if the poster replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Moderators banning moderators!!!!!!!!!
    Now thats a first!!!!!!!

Moderators banning moderators!!!!!!!!!
    Now thats a first!!!!!!!

And banned. Anyone else?

xii wrote: »

Banned

Thanks to those who PM'd and are mature enough to keep this thread going.
    For those who want discussion report the posts and don't engage.
    For anyone else, that's 4 bans now in 2 pages. Read the first page to understand why.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Logistics question.

The families who are visiting relatives in Rathkeale, what part of Britain are they actually coming from. Is it an area where the new strain has been identified?

Thinking about whether it's worth the risk of heading to Crescent as the new strain is 70% more contagious and I would think The Crescent is the perfect place for it to spread fast.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Logistics question.

The families who are visiting relatives in Rathkeale, what part of Britain are they actually coming from. Is it an area where the new strain has been identified?

Thinking about whether it's worth the risk of heading to Crescent as the new strain is 70% more contagious and I would think The Crescent is the perfect place for it to spread fast.

At this stage I think it's up to everyone's own judgement whether to risk making the trip or not, personally I can never face the Crescent or Childer's Road the week before Christmas, the crowds/queues/traffic just is never worth it for me, the fact that we're in the middle of a pandemic makes it less likely that I would even consider going, even going to the local shop is done at off-peak times for me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Clareman wrote: »
    At this stage I think it's up to everyone's own judgement whether to risk making the trip or not, personally I can never face the Crescent or Childer's Road the week before Christmas, the crowds/queues/traffic just is never worth it for me, the fact that we're in the middle of a pandemic makes it less likely that I would even consider going, even going to the local shop is done at off-peak times for me now.

even outside of the pandemic no man in his right mind does the cresent or childers road once xmas shopping starts.

There is something lovely thinking of strolling around shopping centers, popping in to places to have a little browse, having a coffee in hand, maybe a biscuit or something, in the real world however you'd have spent ages getting into the car park, you'd have searched for a parking space for ages, you're probably soaked from puddles, been knocked over by a load of buggies, whatever shop you want has a queue, most of the shops are sold out of stuff or are just left with broken gift boxes, there's a queue for the coffee place and in reality all you'd have done is walked around HMW 20 times.

I don't miss that I have to admit, but I will miss walking around town, bumping into people you haven't met in ages, maybe sneaking off for a quick pint, going to the Leinster match.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Clareman wrote: »

I think it's only a matter of time before the new variant reaches Ireland, my concern is whether it's here right now.

Will leave it for the one year that's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think it's only a matter of time before the new variant reaches Ireland, my concern is whether it's here right now.

Will leave it for the one year that's in it.

You can be sure it's already here since they've found it in a few other countries so far. Saw they found it in Italy yesterday and from a quick Google search it was also found in Netherlands, Denmark, Australia, and Gibraltar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

30000 visitors from the uk in the last two weeks, you can e sure the new variant is here.

Advertisement