Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Clareman wrote: »
    Very interesting topic but not 1 for a regional forum, please find another forum to discuss this topic if you want

Then why did a moderator raise it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

banie01 wrote: »
    Then why did a moderator raise it?

Are you saying that it was a moderator now? Your original post covered itself by saying you weren't querying a mods decision, now you're saying that you are, which is it?

Are you saying that it was a moderator now? Your original post covered itself by saying you weren't querying a mods decision, now you're saying that you are, which is it?

I said I wasn't querying a mod decision in regard Marks post.
    Was there a decision taken there? Did I miss one?
    Other than editing out his error?
    Or is MarkR not a mod?

I'm querying your post in deciding that a topic of conversation introduced by a co-mod is not for discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can someone explain the rule regarding this? I understand not identifying a specific person, that's completely fair.

My point is why can we not discuss some of the residents of rathkeale as a group, why can we not talk about the influx of families who arrived to the village and surrounding areas pre Christmas? Surely a rational discussion is allowed regarding what happened considering it is one of the most infected areas in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can someone explain the rule regarding this? I understand not identifying a specific person, that's completely fair.

My point is why can we not discuss some of the residents of rathkeale as a group, why can we not talk about the influx of families who arrived to the village and surrounding areas pre Christmas? Surely a rational discussion is allowed regarding what happened considering it is one of the most infected areas in the country.

It's that bit at the end about "rational discussion" that's the problem. It always ends up with people posting stupid fantastical stories and making assumptions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I said I wasn't querying a mod decision in regard Marks post.
    Was there a decision taken there? Did I miss one?
    Other than editing out his error?
    Or is MarkR not a mod?

I'm querying your post in deciding that a topic of conversation introduced by a co-mod is not for discussion.

Travellers are classified as an ethnic group. I guess I erred when I mentioned the genetic aspect of it. I believe we are all clear in my intention at this stage, as I have edited the original post. If you have any other questions about this, please pm me, and leave this thread for discussion of Covid in Limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Feel free to discuss some residents of an area or people who arrived but don't mention their ethnic background or paint a full group of people with the same brush.

To use an example of how a seemingly correct post could cause offence could be if someone was going to accuse some Limerick hurling supporters who went out to watch/celebrate the All Ireland of spreading COVID they could say

All GAA supporters are a disgrace, they don't care about the rules just their own celebrations, they should all be locked up, we've all seen videos on WhatsApp of them all out celebrating and hugging each other, lock them all up or at least don't care for them when they get sick, they don't care about us so why should we care about them?

or
    I saw a video on WhatsApp of some Limerick hurling supporters watching the match in the pub and celebrating afterwards like there was no COVID, I hope the guards identify the people and businesses involved and take appropriate actions.

What we want is a rational discussion, that's what we're trying to get to but by labelling a whole ethnic group for the actions of a few this means we have to step in. I hope this all makes sense.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's that bit at the end about "rational discussion" that's the problem. It always ends up with people posting stupid fantastical stories and making assumptions

Well said breezy, that is the issue in a nutshell.

Feel free to discuss some residents of an area or people who arrived but don't mention their ethnic background or paint a full group of people with the same brush.

To use an example of how a seemingly correct post could cause offence could be if someone was going to accuse some Limerick hurling supporters who went out to watch/celebrate the All Ireland of spreading COVID they could say

All GAA supporters are a disgrace, they don't care about the rules just their own celebrations, they should all be locked up, we've all seen videos on WhatsApp of them all out celebrating and hugging each other, lock them all up or at least don't care for them when they get sick, they don't care about us so why should we care about them?

or
    I saw a video on WhatsApp of some Limerick hurling supporters watching the match in the pub and celebrating afterwards like there was no COVID, I hope the guards identify the people and businesses involved and take appropriate actions.

What we want is a rational discussion, that's what we're trying to get to but by labelling a whole ethnic group for the actions of a few this means we have to step in. I hope this all makes sense.

But has anyone blamed the entire population of the village? Or that particular ethnic group? Its clear as day that the influx of family members from the UK to Limerick has caused the current problems. Nobody is blaming EVERY member of the ethnic group but the vast majority are definitely to blame for it.

In my opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Nobody is blaming EVERY member of the ethnic group but the vast majority are definitely to blame for it.

Where's the evidence of this assertion

• Advertisement

But has anyone blamed the entire population of the village? Or that particular ethnic group? Its clear as day that the influx of family members from the UK to Limerick has caused the current problems. Nobody is blaming EVERY member of the ethnic group but the vast majority are definitely to blame for it.

In my opinion of course.

Some posters have and actions have been taken, lots of posts have been deleted or edited, not just in this thread but in others, this is our third attempt at a discussion on this extremely important topic in Limerick, the last 2 descended into chaos, this 1, in my opinion, is going quite well and if that means being overly cautious in mentioning people's ethnic backgrounds I'm fine with that.

That being said, the rules of the thread are clear and are going well, I don't see any need to change the rules or to have any further discussion on thread about our decisions, if anyone would like to discuss it further feel free to PM me, lets go back to the main discussion.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In my opinion of course.

You seem to be blaming them exclusively for the rise in cases however, which is nonsensical, given that there has been an upward trend in every county in Ireland. There is no one single cause, and blaming one group of people for a national issue is scapegoating.

Would agree with the mods on the point of not tarring groups by association.

Managing it is proving to be a pain in the hole for the mods.
    It's not a job I envy the mods.

Would agree with the mods on the point of not tarring groups by association.

Managing it is proving to be a pain in the hole for the mods.
    It's not a job I envy the mods.[/b]

Not being swerved, being avoided altogether, as you have pointed out this isn't an issue that is impacting just Limerick, I'd recommend if you want to continue discussing it that you bring it up in 1 of the main COVID threads rather than just here.

This goes for all posters, not just banie. Please do not bring this topic up again, we have made our position clear and we will not be changing it in anyway, any attempts to bring it up again will result in bans.

Not being swerved, being avoided altogether, as you have pointed out this isn't an issue that is impacting just Limerick, I'd recommend if you want to continue discussing it that you bring it up in 1 of the main COVID threads rather than just here.

This goes for all posters, not just banie. Please do not bring this topic up again, we have made our position clear and we will not be changing it in anyway, any attempts to bring it up again will result in bans.

I think my edit crossed with your post, but point taken :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

3 counties with growing rates of Covid are Dublin, Limerick and Mayo. All 3 were involved in the AI finals. Not sure what it was like in Limerick there but in Dublin talking to the various fans there and the same up here the pubs and hotels were very lax in numbers and duration.
    I know that people blame the visitors to Rathkeale but there is a lot more at play in these counties also.
    I know lots of people who came back from the UK during Xmas and didn't self isolate, add to that a few Stephens night parties in hotels and it has lit the fuse up here.

While I get the frustration and have read some of the reports on the issue, its to easy to point the figure.

yop wrote: »
    3 counties with growing rates of Covid are Dublin, Limerick and Mayo. All 3 were involved in the AI finals. Not sure what it was like in Limerick there but in Dublin talking to the various fans there and the same up here the pubs and hotels were very lax in numbers and duration.
    I know that people blame the visitors to Rathkeale but there is a lot more at play in these counties also.
    I know lots of people who came back from the UK during Xmas and didn't self isolate, add to that a few Stephens night parties in hotels and it has lit the fuse up here.

While I get the frustration and have read some of the reports on the issue, its to easy to point the figure.

Are the case numbers not growing in practically every county

Absolutely they are but the rate of growth is a lot higher in some counties, Limerick currently is third in the 14 day incidence rate table.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20200105%20-%20website.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They are indeed. Mayo, Limerick and Dublin has spikes after the Ai finals.

Some good charts here with the trends for each County.
    Donegal, like Mayo again would have a big influx of people coming home but also a large number of holiday homes.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/coronavirus-in-ireland-latest-county-by-county-data-1053316.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

It doesn't help when certain groups of particular people are bare chested and bare knuckle fighting in the middle of the street on a Monday afternoon..

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/600110/bare-chested-dancing-turns-to-bare-chested-fighting-in-limerick-town.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

It doesn't help when certain groups of particular people are bare chested and bare knuckle fighting in the middle of the street on a Monday afternoon..

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/600110/bare-chested-dancing-turns-to-bare-chested-fighting-in-limerick-town.html

Outdoor sport, just like soccer, football, hurling or rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭maebee

phog wrote: »
    Outdoor sport, just like soccer, football, hurling or rugby

All of which are banned right now.

maebee wrote: »
    All of which are banned right now.

These lads must be classed as elite.

If you notice in the article it doesn't mention "certain groups" or any kind of reference (veiled or otherwise) to their ethnic group, that is all we want here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the make shift hospital at UCL closed to be set up again?

Best shirt off pot belly bare knuckle roadside boxers on the planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Limerick 345 cases today.

1252.4 (per 100,000 population). 14 day incidence Limerick.

Still 3rd highest in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Elite Bellends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Limerick 345 cases today.

1252.4 (per 100,000 population). 14 day incidence Limerick.

Still 3rd highest in Ireland.

According to Limerick today there's a further 9,000 positive tests nationally not yet published - we're not out of the woods yet lads

Panic buying was rife yesterday from the look of Facebook, have we learnt nothing?

Local electoral area data should be updated on the COVID hub today at some point up to 4th of January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Panic buying was rife yesterday from the look of Facebook, have we learnt nothing?
    The panic buying (if true) could also be weather related

Advertisement