Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The_Dave wrote: »
    The panic buying (if true) could also be weather related

Fair point the panic buying itself still shouldn't be happening though

I've seen pictures from some of my Facebook friends at various supermarkets around Limerick of empty shelves and it was reported on Joe Nash's show yesterday so it's unlikely to be fake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I had said i was leaving this thread and i am only going to post one message. Some of the things that people in this forum are coming out with during this pandemic really worries me for society and some of you have terrible poor attitudes towards protecting other people.

Generation ME is well and truly alive.

Cases in Limerick are rocketing and the Hospital is under severe pressure.

Limerick is in bad shape at the moment and we all have to change our behaviours to get through this in one piece. No one is saying be a hermit or lock yourself away but follow the rules and guidelines.

In March/April of 2020, 11 people died in 2 weeks in my parents nursing home, luckily for us at the time my parent did not catch the virus, unfortunately not so lucky for other families and my deepest sympathies are with them. Covid-19 is a horrible painful way to die for those that get very sick.

We got the call this morning that my parent is the first person to test positive in the nursing home in a long time. No visitors at all for 2 weeks. Are we concerned of course just like every other family with members in nursing homes.

They didnt go out or go shopping or go to the pub or celebrate the All Ireland or mix with people in the Crescent, they were minding their own business.

They catch it through communinty transmission from me or you or the guy in the barbers not wearing a mask that i got laughed at for pointing out, or the groups huddled together passing someone without wearing a mask. They catch it from the guy in the shop who cant be bothered wearing a mask. They catch it from the person who sneezed and didnt cover their mouth or nose in the shop and touched things that others bought.

Its January now 10 months in and Jesus Christ will you all just wear your mask, wash your hands and help protect the people in society who cant mind themselves i have been on point with this since March. I cant believe some of you are still whining.

Is not having a takeaway pint or a big mac or being a rebel by not wearing a mask or obeying the rules that hard to do for a few more months.

Its your own neighbours, frends and family your making sick and possibly causing serious consequences for, stop and think about other people for a minute.

Every regular in the Limerick forum has a duty and responsibility and is morally obliged to do what needs to be done. If you cant be bothered that says more about you than anyone else.

Waiting for the usual people to tell me i am hysyterical and pick holes in everything i say and hope the Mods will act accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

kilburn wrote: »
    I had said i was leaving this thread and i am only going to post one message. Some of the things that people in this forum are coming out with during this pandemic really worries me for society and some of you have terrible poor attitudes towards protecting other people.

Generation ME is well and truly alive.

Cases in Limerick are rocketing and the Hospital is under severe pressure.

Limerick is in bad shape at the moment and we all have to change our behaviours to get through this in one piece. No one is saying be a hermit or lock yourself away but follow the rules and guidelines.

In March/April of 2020, 11 people died in 2 weeks in my parents nursing home, luckily for us at the time my parent did not catch the virus, unfortunately not so lucky for other families and my deepest sympathies are with them. Covid-19 is a horrible painful way to die for those that get very sick.

We got the call this morning that my parent is the first person to test positive in the nursing home in a long time. No visitors at all for 2 weeks. Are we concerned of course just like every other family with members in nursing homes.

They didnt go out or go shopping or go to the pub or celebrate the All Ireland or mix with people in the Crescent, they were minding their own business.

They catch it through communinty transmission from me or you or the guy in the barbers not wearing a mask that i got laughed at for pointing out, or the groups huddled together passing someone without wearing a mask. They catch it from the guy in the shop who cant be bothered wearing a mask. They catch it from the person who sneezed and didnt cover their mouth or nose in the shop and touched things that others bought.

Its January now 10 months in and Jesus Christ will you all just wear your mask, wash your hands and help protect the people in society who cant mind themselves i have been on point with this since March. I cant believe some of you are still whining.

Is not having a takeaway pint or a big mac or being a rebel by not wearing a mask or obeying the rules that hard to do for a few more months.

Its your own neighbours, frends and family your making sick and possibly causing serious consequences for, stop and think about other people for a minute.

Every regular in the Limerick forum has a duty and responsibility and is morally obliged to do what needs to be done. If you cant be bothered that says more about you than anyone else.

Waiting for the usual people to tell me i am hysyterical and pick holes in everything i say and hope the Mods will act accordingly.

Excellent post. Says it all in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

The LEA figures were updated, 14 day incidence up to 3 days ago.

Adare-Rathkeale — 557 cases (2010.1 rate per 100k pop)
    Newcastle West — 404 (1473.6)
    City East — 319 (902.6)
    City West — 302 (865.4)
    City North — 258 (743.2)
    Cappamore-Kilmallock — 207 (594.5)

Countrywide rate per 100k pop: 674.4

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Advertisement

382 cases in Limerick and the test centre very busy when I passed earlier

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I cleaned up the thread a bit by removing a lot of national stuff that have no specific Limerick interest outside of Limerick being part of Ireland. If you want to discuss national level issues feel free to use the main COVID forums.

Adare/Rathkeale has an incidence of 2,010 over the 2 weeks so maybe he has a point... Wasn't a suspected sheebeen raided in that town a few days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Dr Holohan thinks the figures are going to level out today/soon but then again that is handy because yesterday was apparently the last day of the late reporting of only symptomatic cases which totalled 17,000. With the Ballysimon testing site very quiet since the start of the year, with close contacts, not being invited then maybe every county will see cases drop over the next week.

Although I know of one primary school in Limerick who called students for a test 13 days after a close contact was found, my friends child was called, turned out to be negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Discussion now (10.30am) on Newstalk with Pat Kenny re Rathkeale

https://www.newstalk.com/shows/pat-kenny-show-234857

• Advertisement

Comhra wrote: »
    Discussion now (10.30am) on Newstalk with Pat Kenny re Rathkeale

https://www.newstalk.com/shows/pat-kenny-show-234857

It's up as a podcast for anybody who missed it

Some scary stuff in there, imagine being a reporter trying to report on something and being told you were going to get your head boxed off!

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/people-are-gathering-around-in-large-groups-in-rathkeale-they-dont-seem-bothered-about-covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

snip

snip

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Do we really need to go through all this again???

It is fine to discuss the topic once you don't being in ethnic backgrounds in anyway, as soon as you do then this is considered being racist and will lead to a ban.

Are we still not allowed discuss Rathkeale and the UNDENIABLE issue with van drivers who have come home from the UK and are NOT complying with regulations and are spreading this thing all over the place and into NCW
    I live in NCW and it's everywhere now and then I see these lads walking around in groups acting the hard men knowing only too well they are intimidating and annoying people.

That's exactly what we are doing, and what newstalk are reporting on in the above posts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

And if that's the end of me on Limerick Boards then so be it But its a sword i will die on, as someone I know, someone close to me is currently VERY sick with this virus and is not going to get better and we know how she got it. I am incredibly upset, frustrated and angry about this

Everybody has sympathy with how you feel Roger and I am sorry to hear your family member is so unwell, hopefully they turn the corner and get better.

To be fair the checkpoints are back and the gardai were stopping and turning people around at Croagh yesterday.

The more it's in the news they more pressure there will be for a crackdown, no need to get yourself hassle on boards for it.

Stay safe

snip

Thanks Kilburn
    Not looking good but you never know. Please God.
    It just drives me mad that this topic can be discussed on newstalk, on rte, on todayfm but not on Boards
    And on all those broadcasters, they DO mention the backround of these people
    i don't understand??

What they mention is the ethnicity of many inhabitants of Rathkeale, if you read closely none of them are putting the blame directing on any group of people, and rightly so!

The problem is people are partying like there's no virus, while one ethnicity might be doing it the fact is we don't know for sure if they're the only ones

Thanks Kilburn
    Not looking good but you never know. Please God.
    It just drives me mad that this topic can be discussed on newstalk, on rte, on todayfm but not on Boards
    And on all those broadcasters, they DO mention the backround of these people
    i don't understand??

This is the absolute last time I discuss mod decisions on thread, the thread is going fine until some people try to bring up certain topics.

If you listen to the article, they offered a point of reply to Pavee Point, they mentioned other people, they interviewed different people, they tried to be as balanced as possible, they also pointed out that it wasn't all of 1 group but some members. The groups you mentioned all have trained journalists, editors and legal teams behind them, boards has posters, moderators and admins, the moderators are trying to moderate the discussion in order to keep it going without descending into chaos. If you feel the need to discuss this topic feel free to find another area to discuss it but to be clear, the Limerick forum is not that area.

ok
    I won't say another word on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Balagan1

And if that's the end of me on Limerick Boards then so be it
    But its a sword i will die on, as someone I know, someone close to me is currently VERY sick with this virus and is not going to get better and we know how she got it.
    I am incredibly upset, frustrated and angry about this

Heart goes out to you and your friend/relative. It really is an overwhelming situation. Have found that involvement online often only adds to to the frustration at those who flout the covid restrictions with impunity. Consider streering clear for now. Try to eat and drink regularly and chat to those nearest and dearest, on phone or Zoom etc., if necessary.

Removing myself from this conversation
    It's too raw and it's too personal.
    Best wishes to you and yours Kilburn and everyone else
    Look after yourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

What they mention is the ethnicity of many inhabitants of Rathkeale, if you read closely none of them are putting the blame directing on any group of people, and rightly so!

The problem is people are partying like there's no virus, while one ethnicity might be doing it the fact is we don't know for sure if they're the only ones

Mod snipped

thegills wrote: »
    Mod snipped

Banned.

We've given enough warnings at this stage about not bring up this topic but people still insist on doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

All these cases in Limerick probably got infected Christmas week, do people not remember how busy every place was, shops, shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, food serving pubs not to mention house parties.

I remember the photo of the crescent shopping centre jam packed full of people with zero social distancing.

Blaming 1 village in Limerick for the thousands of cases is not right.

The gardai said they can't do anything with people breaking the rules, they have to be breaking the law.

Drove through the city last week, lovely sunny day, lots of people hanging out in arthur's key park no social distancing, lots of people hanging outside coffee shops no social distancing. People out walking in groups, no social distancing. Snow the other day, lots of kids from different families hanging out no social distancing

Small amounts of people still not wearing masks in supermarkets.

One way we can bring down the cases is keep your distance from people.

Stay safe.

2 more posters banned.

As had been stated repeatedly, discuss the topic not the ethnicity, other outlets mentioned bring a lot of balance to the discussion, some don't even mention the ethnic background of people, this is something posters here seem unable to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/news/600482/incidence-rate-of-covid-19-in-adare-rathkeale-now-three-times-the-national-rate.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Adare/Rathkeale district now is three times the national rate.

Adare/Rathkeale: 2,010 (557 new cases) [660.4 the previous week]
    Newcastle West: 1,473.6 (404 new cases) [499.7 the previous week]
    Limerick City East: 902.6 (319 new cases) [342.4 the previous week]
    Limerick City West: 865.4 (302 new cases) [226.4 the previous week]
    Limerick City North: 743.2 (258 new cases) [253.5 the previous week]
    Cappamore/Kilmallock: 594.5 (207 new cases) [235.2 the previous week]

FutureGuy wrote: »
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/news/600482/incidence-rate-of-covid-19-in-adare-rathkeale-now-three-times-the-national-rate.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Adare/Rathkeale district now is three times the national rate.

Adare/Rathkeale: 2,010 (557 new cases) [660.4 the previous week]
    Newcastle West: 1,473.6 (404 new cases) [499.7 the previous week]
    Limerick City East: 902.6 (319 new cases) [342.4 the previous week]
    Limerick City West: 865.4 (302 new cases) [226.4 the previous week]
    Limerick City North: 743.2 (258 new cases) [253.5 the previous week]
    Cappamore/Kilmallock: 594.5 (207 new cases) [235.2 the previous week]

Does that mean that all of Limerick except for Cappamore/Killamllock are above the national average as well???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

All these cases in Limerick probably got infected Christmas week, do people not remember how busy every place was, shops, shopping centres, supermarkets, restaurants, food serving pubs not to mention house parties.

I remember the photo of the crescent shopping centre jam packed full of people with zero social distancing.

Blaming 1 village in Limerick for the thousands of cases is not right.

The gardai said they can't do anything with people breaking the rules, they have to be breaking the law.

Drove through the city last week, lovely sunny day, lots of people hanging out in arthur's key park no social distancing, lots of people hanging outside coffee shops no social distancing. People out walking in groups, no social distancing. Snow the other day, lots of kids from different families hanging out no social distancing

Small amounts of people still not wearing masks in supermarkets.

One way we can bring down the cases is keep your distance from people.

Stay safe.

I went to my parents in Limerick (East) for Christmas. I live in Dublin and I had a negative test result before I travelled down.
    I was shocked by how busy the shops were down there... I went to Dunnes on Childers Road the evening of 22nd... the amount of people allowed in the store at once was ridiculous - I am comparing this to my local Dunnes here where they have a queue system to get and limit the numbers in the store at any one time. I left, and went across to the Parkway which was much quieter, but quite a number of other customers in the centre were wearing masks under their noses or chins.

The same evening I also went to Smyths to return a damaged online order. I had to ask a man to step back from me in the queue as he decided he would queue right up the back of me. There were other people who didn't seem to remember what social distancing was in the other queue also. Again, people were not wearing masks correctly.

I went to Starbucks in Castletroy on Christmas Eve, both staff who served me were wearing their masks below their nose. The shopping centre looked very busy also, but at least Super Valu looked to be limiting the numbers in the store at any one time.

Everyone has to take person responsibility for protecting themselves and others against the spread. Wear your mask, practice hand hygiene and stay at home. Pointing blame at others doesn't help anything.

Advertisement