Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭topcat72

A number of Limerick businesses closing temporarily due to Covid - Easons Parkway ( for two weeks)
    Aroi - 1 O'Connell Street ( sign in the window says due to close contacts, as well as Ze-We-Ton Denmark Street. ( both from Facebook)
    Apologies if already posted elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

topcat72 wrote: »
    A number of Limerick businesses closing temporarily due to Covid - Easons Parkway ( for two weeks)
    Aroi - 1 O'Connell Street ( sign in the window says due to close contacts, as well as Ze-We-Ton Denmark Street. ( both from Facebook)
    Apologies if already posted elsewhere

Add to that Wokking (closed from tomorrow) and The Greenhills.

From the Wokking Facebook Page:
    Dear customers,
    In light of the increasing number of cases, we have decided to temporarily close until further notice from:
    Monday the 11th of January.
    We apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope everyone stays safe during these unprecedented times.
    Keep an eye here if we’re back open and we hope to see you back soon! 🥡🥢
    Wokking team.

The Greenhills are closed until the 1st February - announcement on their facebook page https://www.google.ie/search?q=greenhills+hotel&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:{referrer:source?}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLG_enIE332

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Argos is gone home delivery only as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Clareman wrote: »
    Argos is gone home delivery only as well
    Is that for everything? I thought that they we there classed as essential? Is it a case of certain products were classed as non essential? Was planning on getting gardening stuff which would be classed as essential?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

adaminho wrote: »
    Is that for everything? I thought that they we there classed as essential? Is it a case of certain products were classed as non essential? Was planning on getting gardening stuff which would be classed as essential?
    No gardening is not essential. You'll have to order it on line.

• Advertisement

No gardening is not essential. You'll have to order it on line.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/60ecc-essential-retail-outlets-for-level-5/

It seems that several things that Argos do are exempt? I'm not trying to break the rules but I just wondering why they are closed? They sell a lot of stuff that you could get in B&Q? For example I can buy a strimer in B&Q but not in Argos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

It seems that several things that Argos do are exempt? I'm not trying to break the rules but I just wondering why they are closed? They sell a lot of stuff that you could get in B&Q? For example I can buy a strimer in B&Q but not in Argos?

Gardening section in B&Q is closed off.

Poorside wrote: »
    Gardening section in B&Q is closed off.

Surely that counts as home maintenance? Again not trying to circumvent the rules but this is such a grey area! I'm stuck at home and just want to tidy up my garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Argos were never classed as an essential retailer, during level 5 lockdowns they were only open for click and collect which was allowed

They have now banned click and collect also so Argos are closed
    Bicyclette wrote: »
    Add to that Wokking (closed from tomorrow) and The Greenhills.

From the Wokking Facebook Page:
    Dear customers,
    In light of the increasing number of cases, we have decided to temporarily close until further notice from:
    Monday the 11th of January.
    We apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope everyone stays safe during these unprecedented times.
    Keep an eye here if we’re back open and we hope to see you back soon! 🥡🥢
    Wokking team.

The Greenhills are closed until the 1st February - announcement on their facebook page https://www.google.ie/search?q=greenhills+hotel&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:{referrer:source?}&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLG_enIE332

Bobby Byrnes also not doing evening menu or pint takeaways... Shop still open as a shop

One wonders if it's more to do with January or COVID

Argos were never classed as an essential retailer, during level 5 lockdowns they were only open for click and collect which was allowed
    This is what I'm trying to find out? Every lock down they were allowed to open so what has changed that Argos can't be considered essential for click and collect? Can I click and collect a shower head? What about a garden trimmer? Maybe an ironingboard cover, a dog bed or an air fryer? All allowed under essential retailers even with a click and collect!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is what I'm trying to find out? Every lock down they were allowed to open so what has changed that Argos can't be considered essential for click and collect? Can I click and collect a shower head? What about a garden trimmer? Maybe an ironingboard cover, a dog bed or an air fryer? All allowed under essential retailers even with a click and collect!
    Argos wasn't open during the first lock down. The rules were less strict during the second lockdown and non essential shops were allowed to stay open for click and collect. That is no longer allowed since last Thursday and their stores are again closed. So you can't click and collect anything.

Joe Nash discussing the Rathkeale COVID figures on live 95fm now with the politician that proposed the army coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Do people listen to Joe Nash?

phog wrote: »
    Do people listen to Joe Nash?

Well he's on the radio so you can't watch him haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Whats the harm in them closing if you can get it delivered. It's not like you could browse the items in Argos and it will keep the staff safe

Bobby Byrnes also not doing evening menu or pint takeaways... Shop still open as a shop

One wonders if it's more to do with January or COVID

Takeaway pints have been specifically mentioned as illegal in this lockdown so I doubt anyone will chance it even if loopholes are found

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

breezy1985 wrote:
    Takeaway pints have been specifically mentioned as illegal in this lockdown so I doubt anyone will chance it even if loopholes are found

Can you provide a reference to where it states it is illegal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There are some great resources in the main COVID forum about what is and isn't allowed as well as references to different stuff, if anyone wants to ask questions about anything like that I would recommend asking there as this is just a regional forum rather than a forum with expert knowledge on the topic.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Can you provide a reference to where it states it is illegal.

Sorry against the guidelines but I'm sure anyone who is not pedantic knows what I mean

Pretty sure seven before Covid pubs selling booze for takeaway was a bit of a no anyway

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Sorry against the guidelines but I'm sure anyone who is not pedantic knows what I mean

Pretty sure seven before Covid pubs selling booze for takeaway was a bit of a no anyway
    Drinking outdoors is not prohibited in general. However, many city and county councils have bye-laws that forbid drinking in some or all public places.

The Gardaí can confiscate alcohol if you are drinking in public and behaving in a way that could cause worry for safety. They can also confiscate alcohol if it is being drunk by a person under 18, or where they have cause to believe that it will be consumed by a person under 18.

It is an offence to consume alcohol bought in a closed container (like a bottle or can) within 100 metres of the off-licence where it was sold. The law does not forbid a pub from delivering drinks to people’s homes, or allowing customers to bring drinks home.

It is also an offence to be so drunk in a public place that you could reasonably be assumed to be a danger to yourself or to anyone around you.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_offences/alcohol_and_the_law.html#lde636

• Advertisement

Whats the harm in them closing if you can get it delivered. It's not like you could browse the items in Argos and it will keep the staff safe

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4729040/Trail/searchtext%3EDRILL.htm
    "Home delivery not available" My point was that stuff they sell can be exempt from Gov regulations.

Presumably there are no bylaws against public drinking in Limerick so from what I saw before Christmas

Might have helped that the scenes we saw in Dublin and Cork didn't happen in Limerick either

Presumably there are no bylaws against public drinking in Limerick so from what I saw before Christmas

Might have helped that the scenes we saw in Dublin and Cork didn't happen in Limerick either

I have seen Gardai tell people they can't drink in public in the city before and after Covid but whether it's a drink law or comes under something else who knows.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4729040/Trail/searchtext%3EDRILL.htm
    "Home delivery not available" My point was that stuff they sell can be exempt from Gov regulations.

It could be exempt but fair play to them for doing things the safest way

I have seen Gardai tell people they can't drink in public in the city before and after Covid but whether it's a drink law or comes under something else who knows.

It's in the city bye laws that it is illegal to drink in public. It is however not illegal to sell takeaway alcohol. The onus is on the user not the provider to obey the laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Surely that counts as home maintenance? Again not trying to circumvent the rules but this is such a grey area! I'm stuck at home and just want to tidy up my garden.

You could have seen that coming and planned any possible shopping ages ago

320 new cases confirmed in Limerick today, makes 3961 in the last 14 days, with a population of about 200,000 that makes for 1 in every 50 of us having caught the virus in the last 14 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭sioda

138 cases today decent decline hope it keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Was in Mr Price in Annacotty earlier. 3 staff members with no masks on at the tills and 2 on the floor with the masks barely above their mouths. WTF goes through these people's minds that they think this is acceptable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

1 in 49 has the virus in limerick, probably lower. Mad stuff

Advertisement