Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

1 in 49 has the virus in limerick, probably lower. Mad stuff

I read something the other day that it was 1 in 26 have had it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

195000 population divided by 3961 cases as of yesterday is 49. So its 1 in 49 as posted above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

195000 population divided by 3961 cases as of yesterday is 49. So its 1 in 49 as posted above.

The 26 one could be using data based on asymptomatics to make an educated guess

Like a few days ago when it was reported that 1 in 5 got it in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Sure 1 in 5 people from Limerick were in Thomond Park to see Munster beat the All-Blacks in 1978.
    Some claim it was 1 in 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

washman3 wrote: »
    Sure 1 in 5 people from Limerick were in Thomond Park to see Munster beat the All-Blacks in 1978.
    Some claim it was 1 in 3.

and the other half of the crowd was from Cork.

• Advertisement

and the other half of the crowd was from Cork.

Second most attended event in Irish history.

The first being all the Dublin people who volunteered for the IRB in the Easter Rising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

7,562 cases reported in Limerick since last march, population of 195,000 would equate to 1 in 25.79 (we can round it up to 26)

The figure of 1 in 50 refers just to the last 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

23,950 swabs done yesterday giving a 16.35% positivity but then again that is a 33% increase in the number of tests performed on Monday so we should expect the figure to rise. At least 3,856 cases today nationwide but then again I'm not even sure we still have any in the 17,000 backlog left to add onto that.

All figures from geohive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Some amount of ambulances i heard today

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

165 cases today, our daily numbers are dropping which is a good sign but doesn't tell the full story as we know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

165 cases today, our daily numbers are dropping which is a good sign but doesn't tell the full story as we know

Its as full as story as possible. We seem to be doing better than other counties. No one is testing close contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

snowcat wrote: »
    Its as full as story as possible. We seem to be doing better than other counties. No one is testing close contacts.

I would assume they were talking about the rising ICU numbers. Yes, the daily numbers are dropping but it seems to be hitting harder.

snowcat wrote: »

We did have the highest incidence outside of the border counties for a long while there but we seem to have calmed down lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Looking at the national figure again It doesn't look like it has changed very much since yesterday, 3,854 nationally with now a positivity of 13.68% which is 3% lower than yesterday.

Wednesday there were 16.2% more tests performed so we tested more, found about the same which is the figure we need to have the media reporting which is 13.68%

So good news although the LL will likely put out a headline saying nothing is changing.

figures from geohive again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yeah, it doesn't make the headlines, but the positivity rate is the most important number out of all that. As it drops then cases numbers will follow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Nursing homes in the City and County in really bad shape lots of deaths unfortunately since the turn of the year.

Damage is done now unfortunately I think very few nursing homes are without cases at the minute.

I can't imagine the trauma it's causing for the staff having to go through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

kilburn wrote: »
    Nursing homes in the City and County in really bad shape lots of deaths unfortunately since the turn of the year.

Damage is done now unfortunately I think very few nursing homes are without cases at the minute.

Can you image the trauma of being a patient in a nursing home. The fear factor must be horrendous and those poor people have no way to escape it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Can you image the trauma of being a patient in a nursing home. The fear factor must be horrendous and those poor people have no way to escape it.

Of course I can't imagine it but thankfully some of the residents are not aware of what is going on due to dementia, Alzheimer's etc which is something for them at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

The incidence rates (as of January 11 for the six LEAs in Limerick are.

Adare/Rathkeale: 3,118 (864 new cases) [2,010.1 the previous week]
    Newcastle West: 2,305.2 (632 new cases) [1,473.6 the previous week]
    Limerick City West: 2,020 (705 new cases) [865.4 the previous week]
    Limerick City East: 1,714.7 (606 new cases) [902.6 the previous week]
    Limerick City North: 1,693.8 (588 new cases) [743.2 the previous week]
    Cappamore/Kilmallock: 1,295.2 (451 new cases) [594.5 the previous week]

Taken from Limerick Leader.

Cases are huge everywhere considering they are not testing close contacts, stay safe.

Not all of them - thankfully only a small amount of them are affected in this wave... One has to wonder how the virus is getting in though
    The incidence rates (as of January 11 for the six LEAs in Limerick are.

Adare/Rathkeale: 3,118 (864 new cases) [2,010.1 the previous week]
    Newcastle West: 2,305.2 (632 new cases) [1,473.6 the previous week]
    Limerick City West: 2,020 (705 new cases) [865.4 the previous week]
    Limerick City East: 1,714.7 (606 new cases) [902.6 the previous week]
    Limerick City North: 1,693.8 (588 new cases) [743.2 the previous week]
    Cappamore/Kilmallock: 1,295.2 (451 new cases) [594.5 the previous week]

Taken from Limerick Leader.

Cases are huge everywhere considering they are not testing close contacts, stay safe.

Crazy figures

• Advertisement

Not all of them - thankfully only a small amount of them are affected in this wave... One has to wonder how the virus is getting in though

Depends on the site but some care homes would have residents who were allowed out into town during level 3

FROM RIP.IE

DEATHS IN LIMERICK CITY AND COUNTY

01/12/2019 TO 15/01/2020 WAS 296

01/12/2020 TO 15/01/2021 WAS 283

That's 13 LESS deaths over the last 6 weeks than over the exact same period last year.
    Was there a Pandemic last year that nobody told us about.?

Miike wrote: »
    Did you bang your head?

Great contribution...:rolleyes:

Have you anything useful to add.? Other than a barstool snide remark.

Like trying to explain why there are 13 less deaths in the last 6 weeks than over the corresponding period 12 months ago.
    Maybe RIP.IE are telling blatant lies.!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Great contribution...:rolleyes:

Have you anything useful to add.? Other than a barstool snide remark.

Like trying to explain why there are 13 less deaths in the last 6 weeks than over the corresponding period 12 months ago.
    Maybe RIP.IE are telling blatant lies.!!

Did you consider that without the numerous lockdowns the numbers of deaths would be way higher?

The previous year had no lockdowns so you can't compare. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration for example more people out and about so more deaths from car accidents, pedestrians being knocked down, drowning etc...

The only true way you could compare years like for like was if the country went about its business as normal since last year. You aren't comparing like for like in this situation.

If anything you are proving the lockdowns have worked and kept the deaths similar to the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Was in Mr Price in Annacotty earlier. 3 staff members with no masks on at the tills and 2 on the floor with the masks barely above their mouths. WTF goes through these people's minds that they think this is acceptable!

My experience of that store is, staff from poorer socio-economic areas...who are more likely to see anti-mask stuff on FB as well as other misinformation about the virus...like my mother, whose FB feed is genuinely scary, they stuff he gets targeted with

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

FROM RIP.IE

That's 13 LESS deaths over the last 6 weeks than over the exact same period last year.

Death notices are not valid for statistics. Covid is a fact, please take this elsewhere. Any further Covid denial from you hear will result in a threadban. Others take note please.

FROM RIP.IE

A better measure world be the 390,000 extra deaths in the United States by comparison to least year where lockdowns aren't really happening and the 25 deaths in New Zealand where lockdowns were quick and severe

MarkR wrote: »
    Death notices are not valid for statistics. Covid is a fact, please take this elsewhere. Any further Covid denial from you hear will result in a threadban. Others take note please.

That's fair

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just to add, if you have a problem with a post report it or debate the post, under no circumstances should you attack the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

MarkR wrote: »

Correct RIP.IE doesn't list all deaths, there have been a few occasions I've search it looking for funeral information and none has been present, particularly during Covid.

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    My experience of that store is, staff from poorer socio-economic areas...who are more likely to see anti-mask stuff on FB as well as other misinformation about the virus...like my mother, whose FB feed is genuinely scary, they stuff he gets targeted with

The numbers in Limerick city don't really support your little poor people comment.

I got hounded by the anti mask people passing their little protest a few months back and all the accents were of the middle class Limerick variety but both my story and yours are both anecdotal so best stick to the numbers

Advertisement