Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The numbers in Limerick city don't really support your little poor people comment.

I got hounded by the anti mask people passing their little protest a few months back and all the accents were of the middle class Limerick variety but both my story and yours are both anecdotal so best stick to the numbers

You say my point isn't supported because its an anecdote, by using an anecdote :confused:

It very much know, that the people from poorer socio-economic area's/communities and disproportionately exposed to conspiracy and fake news on social media(just look at Brexit)...doesn't mean that middle class aren't affected by it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    You say my point isn't supported because its an anecdote, by using an anecdote :confused:

It very much know, that the people from poorer socio-economic area's/communities and disproportionately exposed to conspiracy and fake news on social media(just look at Brexit)...doesn't mean that middle class aren't affected by it

I was saying anecdotes are useless. I didn't judge a whole group of people after my one.

Happy to keep disagreeing with you somewhere else about conspiracies but not the Covid in Limerick thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Reminder folks that this is a regional forum so please keep the discussion to just issues relating to this region, if you want to discuss larger issues or opinions feel free to use another forum but this isn't the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The Chief Executive of the UL Hospitals Group said 579 staff are out of work, including 200 nurses, due to Covid-19.

Colette Cowan said they are moving into the second part of their surge plan today as there is only one empty bed in ICU and the high dependency unit is full.

University Hospital Limerick currently has 162 Covid positive patients, an increase of ten from yesterday and 47 patients are in isolation in the emergency department awaiting admission. (RTE)

A close friend of mine, a front line worker at a Mid-West Nursing Home / Hospice, was waiting as of last Sunday for a Covid-19 vaccination.

Apparently due to delays relating to reduced UL nursing staff numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A close friend of mine, a front line worker at a Mid-West Nursing Home / Hospice, was waiting as of last Sunday for a Covid-19 vaccination.

Apparently due to delays relating to reduced UL nursing staff numbers.

It was full of people in the vaccination ward yesterday steady stream in and out but maybe they want staff for more centres

I have heard that HSE Mid West have divvied the vaccines up between the different departments and let them then decide who needs it most. So maybe some departments are processing quicker than others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

160 cases today, up from 151 yesterday and down from 258 on Friday, also our 14 day incidence is down to 1905.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Bluemonday but lets see whether there is any positivty(oh just spotted my pun) in todays reported numbers

Last Monday(11th) 18,280 tests were done with positivty at 15.56%
    Today(18th) 18,756 tests with a positivty of 10.15%

Berty wrote: »
    Bluemonday but lets see whether there is any positivty(oh just spotted my pun) in todays reported numbers

Last Monday(11th) 18,280 tests were done with positivty at 15.56%
    Today(18th) 18,756 tests with a positivty of 10.15%

Have today's figures been released? You're suggesting new figures today will be around 1,900, if so that would be a big drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,062 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

109 new cases in Limerick today

• Advertisement

Have today's figures been released? You're suggesting new figures today will be around 1,900, if so that would be a big drop

They're announced normally around 2pm-3pm but it's not an exact time You don't have to wait till Tony Holohan announces them although for a localised numbers the HSE usually wait till NPHET break those figures down.

I read the information from Geohive.

Berty wrote: »
    They're announced normally around 2pm-3pm but it's not an exact time You don't have to wait till Tony Holohan announces them although for a localised numbers the HSE usually wait till NPHET break those figures down.

I read the information from Geohive.

Ah I see

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

This guy scrapes the data directly from the Geohive site Berty referenced.
    Updates anytime from 2pm every day except Sundays.
    Usually within 5-10% of the published figures.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

This guy scrapes the data directly from the Geohive site Berty referenced.
    Updates anytime from 2pm every day except Sundays.
    Usually within 5-10% of the published figures.

His site claims 1,910 positive tests yesterday while the HSPC/DOH figure was 2,121 yesterday... Over 200 cases in the difference

His site, the information coming from swabs(accurate) is affected the the HSE/NPHET who can ammend it with late reporting figures. Example, over the past few weeks there were 17,000 swabs(positive) that needed to be reported so they spread them out over many many days spiking our numbers wildly.

So when we see the previous 24 hours being, let's say 3,000 positive swabs, then NPHET/HSE can add a few 1,000 of the late reporting swabs.

On a normal day the information on that persons link, scraped from Geohive hub is accurate.

Here is an example of today so you can see later how many the state adds to the figures

1682 positive swabs, 9.06% positivity on 18,559 tests.

Apparently it is likely that when we get closer to 5-6% that we are in a better place but 9.06% down from around 17% is much better. Slightly more tests done in 24 hours than Mondays figures. My father in law was one getting tested at 6pm on Monday evening, still no results in yet.

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1351544198105882629

Todays Swab data has been published. Another noticeable drop in positivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

While the daily figures for new positive cases dropping are good, the figures that need to be watched closely also are the daily numbers in hospital/ICU and deaths. The huge surge in positive cases since the beginning of the month will have a knock on effect on those figures unfortunately for some time yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

bazz26 wrote: »
    While the daily figures for new positive cases dropping are good, the figures that need to be watched closely also are the daily numbers in hospital/ICU and deaths. The huge surge in positive cases since the beginning of the month will have a knock on effect on those figures unfortunately for some time yet.
    Hospital numbers dropped by 100 since yesterday. Not a trend I know, but we're over a week since the peak of the surge. The numbers have been on a downward trajectory for the last 8-9 days. Hospital admissions will follow that trend.

They count outpatients and a&e in those figures as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

UHL is pretty much full

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1351544198105882629

Todays Swab data has been published. Another noticeable drop in positivity.

If true - definitely a good drop, thanks for the tip... I'll follow this Twitter as well cheers

Today's released number is 2001, so they're still reporting cases from the backlog.

89 in Limerick today.

Today's released number is 2001, so they're still reporting cases from the backlog.

89 in Limerick today.

So that's about 400 that the above figure is off by

Do you have proof that they are reporting from a backlog?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

Hospital numbers dropped by 100 since yesterday. Not a trend I know, but we're over a week since the peak of the surge. The numbers have been on a downward trajectory for the last 8-9 days. Hospital admissions will follow that trend.

You have to take into account deaths in the hospital number drop

Marty1983 wrote: »
    You have to take into account deaths in the hospital number drop
    You don't. 89 of the 93 deaths announced today happened in January, not yesterday. So they don't count for the decrease. Most deaths will occur outside of the hospitals in nursing homes.

There were also 45 more people discharged than admitted to hospital yesterday.

So that's about 400 that the above figure is off by

Do you have proof that they are reporting from a backlog?
    Proof? Where do you think they're getting the extra 400 from? They're not making them up.

If true - definitely a good drop, thanks for the tip... I'll follow this Twitter as well cheers

Why would it not be true?
    It's data harvested directly from a govt website.

Proof? Where do you think they're getting the extra 400 from? They're not making them up.

1682 in above figure from some crowd called geohive, 2001 from NPHET fair enough 319 cases is the difference

Who are geohive anyway?

Are they the govt website mentioned before?
    Why would it not be true?
    It's data harvested directly from a govt website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Although an interesting discussion a regional forum isn't the place for this conversation, please bring the discussion to a more relevant forum.

Advertisement