Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

22 new cases today in Limerick, 827 nationally

Limerick new cases the last 2 days

Sunday: 48
    Monday: 32

Worrying but I have seen a few house parties talking place in the last few days so I guess it's not surprising!

Be interesting to see the LEA breakdown that will be released on Thursday, crossing fingers for a low number in my own LEA lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This thread has gone very quiet, is everybody serving a ban?

Limerick new cases the last 2 days

Sunday: 48
    Monday: 32

Worrying but I have seen a few house parties talking place in the last few days so I guess it's not surprising!

Be interesting to see the LEA breakdown that will be released on Thursday, crossing fingers for a low number in my own LEA lol
    Did you report these house parties to the Guards? As I've previously said, it's pointless complaining on here. Call the Guards, get the party stopped and those people fined. Otherwise they will continue to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

There are some businesses that have done a great job making their customers feel safe and others that have been terrible. Unfortunately it's the terrible ones that stick in the mind.

Was in a garden centre recently and the cashier was coughing violently into her hand... She then started serving customers without washing them. I ran out.

Was in a health food shop and the staff were taking the piss, shelf stacker with no mask. Cashier with one of those useless visors, made even more useless by the fact that it was up the whole time. Zero ventilation.

For both businesses above I certainly will never be going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Did you report these house parties to the Guards? As I've previously said, it's pointless complaining on here. Call the Guards, get the party stopped and those people fined. Otherwise they will continue to happen.

Ha maybe the thread was better when it was quiet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ha maybe the thread was better when it was quiet

He's right report them. I'm **** sick of been locked down. I've seen my elderly parents once for 2 hours in the last 3 months. Ive had next to no face to face contact with my mates in ages. The majority of people are law abiding and doing their best in a sensible manner so F them holding house parties! Just reported them.

He's right report them. I'm **** sick of been locked down. I've seen my elderly parents once for 2 hours in the last 3 months. Ive had next to no face to face contact with my mates in ages. The majority of people are law abiding and doing their best in a sensible manner so F them holding house parties! Just reported them.

I quoted the wrong post. Should have been the one above it. I was just joking about these " I was in a shop" stories

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think a LOT of people are beginning to struggle badly and it's getting harder seeing others and businesses completely flout the rules.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I think a LOT of people are beginning to struggle badly and it's getting harder seeing others and businesses completely flout the rules.

Peoples tolerance is all but gone, for lockdown, for people travelling, outside of 5k. Everything small is amplified now and people really just can't hack it.

We would really hope to see some sign of light in early March or people will crack even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

breezy1985 wrote:
    I quoted the wrong post. Should have been the one above it. I was just joking about these " I was in a shop" stories

To be fair to Stefanovich he/she is right it's those clueless people that are dragging it out for everyone else and have no concern for the consequences of their selfish actions

• Advertisement

I did yeah - after multiple attempts to call them they say they will send a car out when one becomes available... 5 hours later they still hadn't shown up to my knowledge (I eventually went to sleep) I didn't bother ringing the cops any day after that

My thinking behind posting about the parties was to tell people on this thread what is going on in my eyes and the reasons the numbers might be going up, without trying to lay blame on any particular group of people, not necessarily to complain

Another 45 new cases in Limerick today

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Interesting development, most UL students would live in the City East LEA, and from the hub it was limericks worst for incidence from 19/01 to 01/02

Figures
    Confirmed cases - 224
    Incidence per 100k - 633.8
    National incidence for comparison - 455

I'd be slow to blame students as there's 35,000 living in City East and only about 15k students but it won't hurt to test them all

Interesting development, most UL students would live in the City East LEA, and from the hub it was limericks worst for incidence from 19/01 to 01/02

Figures
    Confirmed cases - 224

I'd be slow to blame students as there's 35,000 living in City East and only about 15k students but it won't hurt to test them all

That's a large percentage. 20 somethings do appear to be generally less careful and more likely to have house parties etc. They are a high risk population for sure,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Figures
    Confirmed cases - 224

Are students back though?

That's a large percentage. 20 somethings do appear to be generally less careful and more likely to have house parties etc. They are a high risk population for sure,.

Limerick has the 3rd lowest average age of infection in the country and have an above average number of 20/30yo testing positive.

I woundnt say that age group is less careful from what I have seen personally but something is up with the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

There does seem to be an increase in cases in off-campus student housing in Castletroy according to this:

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/coronavirus/608632/university-of-limerick-to-facilitate-on-campus-covid-19-tests.html

le_girl wrote: »
    There does seem to be an increase in cases in off-campus student housing in Castletroy according to this:

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/coronavirus/608632/university-of-limerick-to-facilitate-on-campus-covid-19-tests.html

Maybe they should stop having house parties and shifting each other.

adaminho wrote: »
    Are students back though?

Yes, their first week of teaching began on the 25th of January

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Quit the snide remarks at the moderating of this forum, everyone is clear at the rules.

• Advertisement

Maybe they should stop having house parties and shifting each other.

They would also be living 5 or 6 to a house and I know a fair few who are nurses so even for people following the rules it can be tough in comparison

I think there's a few factors at play

1. Young people tend to be the ones that work in more high risk jobs such as supermarkets and building sites

2. Young people tend to live with other young people rather than alone, I know of many cases where 2-3 bed apartment are being occupied by 4-6 people in a one couple per bedroom arrangement

3. Pre-covid older people don't tend to have house parties, when they do they don't tend to be as big, usually inviting just one other household over, happen less frequently, usually for a birthday or anniversary celebration, and they're usually not as loud or go on as late so wouldn't get noticed by passers by or neighbors as much.

My last point has largely carried over to COVID times

I think there's a few factors at play

1. Young people tend to be the ones that work in more high risk jobs such as supermarkets and building sites

2. Young people tend to live with other young people rather than alone, I know of many cases where 2-3 bed apartment are being occupied by 4-6 people in a one couple per bedroom arrangement

3. Pre-covid older people don't tend to have house parties, when they do they don't tend to be as big, usually inviting just one other household over, happen less frequently, usually for a birthday or anniversary celebration, and they're usually not as loud or go on as late so wouldn't get noticed by passers by or neighbors as much.

My last point has largely carried over to COVID times

If you went by the cars parked outside it would seem there are plenty of houses occupied by older groups that are breaking the rules too. Just less noisy about it

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If you went by the cars parked outside it would seem there are plenty of houses occupied by older groups that are breaking the rules too. Just less noisy about it

Impossible to tell for sure but blaming the spread of COVID on house parties (young and old) is missing a wider point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

Hi all, have been following this thread for a while and just registered there now to comment.

I'm living in the city centre in an apartment on my own and I'm slowly losing my mind. No one in town is bothered any more and it's really, really evident over the past week. Lack of masks in Tesco, Dunnes and my local Spar on Henry St and that's including the staff. People wandering around banging into one another, not a bother in the world. The final straw for me, yesterday was walking past the bus stop outside Dunnes and over half the passengers on board had no masks on. What the **** is going on? This isn't confined to a small group of people, it's EVERYONE. All ages, all nationalities.
    What's the plan going forward? Is there one?
    End rant.

jpharvey wrote: »
    Hi all, have been following this thread for a while and just registered there now to comment.

I'm living in the city centre in an apartment on my own and I'm slowly losing my mind. No one in town is bothered any more and it's really, really evident over the past week. Lack of masks in Tesco, Dunnes and my local Spar on Henry St and that's including the staff. People wandering around banging into one another, not a bother in the world. The final straw for me, yesterday was walking past the bus stop outside Dunnes and over half the passengers on board had no masks on. What the **** is going on? This isn't confined to a small group of people, it's EVERYONE. All ages, all nationalities.
    What's the plan going forward? Is there one?
    End rant.

Most people are lemmings and just follow the crowd.

Some places are much more safe than others. Boycott businesses that are not taking it seriously.

Are their fines for businesses flaunting the regulations? I have a growing list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

Boycotting businesses is all very well in theory but I have to buy food. If everywhere in town has staff and randomers wandering around without masks inside what can I do? I've mentioned it to security in both T's and D's but at this stage it's like living in a parallel reality where I'm a mad lunatic for caring about this anymore. And the most frustrating thing of all is my wearing a mask protects everyone else not me.

jpharvey wrote: »
    Boycotting businesses is all very well in theory but I have to buy food. If everywhere in town has staff and randomers wandering around without masks inside what can I do? I've mentioned it to security in both T's and D's but at this stage it's like living in a parallel reality where I'm a mad lunatic for caring about this anymore. And the most frustrating thing of all is my wearing a mask protects everyone else not me.

If you don't have a car it's tricky. I'd go shopping as early as you can and during the week not the weekend.

Sadlier's in town have a great setup if you like fish.

Supervalu in Corbally are good too. Town is a bit of a disaster when it comes to supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I was in a large german retailler a couple of weeks back. Staff member was out on the floor, loading vegetables into a display with no mask at all. I said it to her, that she should be wearing a mask. Puzzled bewilderment, as if she hadn't ever heard a word of english.

I was annoyed. Distracted. Made me forgot to buy chocolate chip cookies! I said it to one of the tellers, who confirmed there had been complaints about her already, but that she'd pass on my own complaint.

In the end, I called the national number and they said they'd deal with it through the regional manager. Or something to that effect.

I hate to have to do that stuff, but this was taking the piss.

Advertisement