Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

That's the thing. I don't have a car, so there's no respite from it.
    I shop early during the week and it's still how I've outlined above.

Don't get me started on the Covid measures put in place by the Council either or my head will explode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

jpharvey wrote: »
    That's the thing. I don't have a car, so there's no respite from it.
    I shop early during the week and it's still how I've outlined above.

Don't get me started on the Covid measures put in place by the Council either or my head will explode.

Dunnes and Tesco both open at 8am. I'd shop at 8am if forced to do it in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Boycotting businesses is all very well in theory but I have to buy food. If everywhere in town has staff and randomers wandering around without masks inside what can I do? I've mentioned it to security in both T's and D's but at this stage it's like living in a parallel reality where I'm a mad lunatic for caring about this anymore. And the most frustrating thing of all is my wearing a mask protects everyone else not me.

Your obviously going to a different Limerick city to me because I see loads of shops doing the right thing and most customers too.
    I have seen people not wearing masks in shops and on buses but it is nowhere near 50% and there is no indication town has "given up"
    Your story doesn't add up to be honest

With respect, that's my experience. Take it or leave it.

With respect, that's my experience. Take it or leave it.

I'll leave it then cause it's pure scaremongering bull

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Your obviously going to a different Limerick city to me because I see loads of shops doing the right thing and most customers too.
    I have seen people not wearing masks in shops and on buses but it is nowhere near 50% and there is no indication town has "given up"
    Your story doesn't add up to be honest

Some retailers have definitely given up. I could name names but I wouldn't like to break any rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Hero
    MarkR wrote: »
    I was in a large german retailler a couple of weeks back. Staff member was out on the floor, loading vegetables into a display with no mask at all. I said it to her, that she should be wearing a mask. Puzzled bewilderment, as if she hadn't ever heard a word of english.

I was annoyed. Distracted. Made me forgot to buy chocolate chip cookies! I said it to one of the tellers, who confirmed there had been complaints about her already, but that she'd pass on my own complaint.

In the end, I called the national number and they said they'd deal with it through the regional manager. Or something to that effect.

I hate to have to do that stuff, but this was taking the piss.

I'll leave it then cause it's pure scaremongering bull

Well, that's me told so. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I live in the city centre too but do most of my shopping in Dunnes Jetland or Tesco Coonagh. I've only seen someone without a mask in a shop once since they were made mandatory but maybe I've been lucky. I avoid corner shops and Lidl and Aldi as they just feel more cramped to me.

Dunnes Harvey's Quay in the mornings is where I would go for the city centre. They always seem to have security and is usually quiet when I pop in there early.

Myself and a friend both noticed that everywhere seems a lot busier since the end of last week. Jetland on Saturday morning seemed much more packed to me than usual and she had to queue for hardware shops and Lidl for the first time in a while.

I've found Iceland very handy. It tends to be very quiet out there, especially in the mornings. I had the whole place to myself the other day and it wasn't even that early.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

SNNUS wrote: »
    Hero

Thanks! I try. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

The council have signs up about pedestrians walking on the footpath on the right hand side of the roads, but most pedestrians I see are on the left hand side path. What can you do:rolleyes:
    I unaware of any other measures done or that should be in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was in a supermarket a few weeks ago, I won't name it but there was a security guard and a shelf stacker just inside the door laughing and talking loudly to reach other no more than a few inches apart, one had a mask on under his chin, the other it was under his nose but covering his mouth

I was so shocked I actually put it out of my mind until seeing a similar experience here, next time I'll make a complaint...

There's no excuse at this stage for not knowing how to wear a mask surely?

And before people get in their high horse I know people with big noses find it uncomfortable to wear a mask but I still wear underwear so they really have no excuse

35 cases today

Confusingly we're down on the last 2 days despite the national picture being almost double what it was yesterday

35 cases today

Confusingly we're down on the last 2 days despite the national picture being almost double what it was yesterday

People obviously doing things right in Limerick then

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

35 cases today

There's nothing to be confused about really. Local numbers don't track the national number. Both numbers are on a steady decline over a 7 and 14 day period.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

People obviously doing things right in Limerick then

Some of those that came home from the UK and Europe might have gone back using those fake PCR negative tests.

The_Dave wrote: »
    The council have signs up about pedestrians walking on the footpath on the right hand side of the roads, but most pedestrians I see are on the left hand side path. What can you do:rolleyes:
    I unaware of any other measures done or that should be in place

They put in the cycle lane on the new bridge which, to be fair, helps while out walking, but was probably going to be put in anyway, and 2 'parklets' on O'Connell St and Catherine St which cost over 120,000, aaaaand that's it.

Honestly, if I had the power I'd make all the executives who helpfully decided painting arrows (wtf like) on footpaths as a panacea to people genuinely worried about getting around one another on narrow walkways, while looking down to avoid dog****, and up to dodge round the many, many, many, metal poles, be flung into an apartment on the quays for a month without private transport, tell them to enjoy their 5km, embrace Limerick's edge and record their every move for some sort of reality show.

There's nothing to be confused about really. Local numbers don't track the national number. Both numbers are on a steady decline over a 7 and 14 day period.

That's true I'd guess, the 14 day incidence and positivity rate is meant to be the best indicator
    They put in the cycle lane on the new bridge which, to be fair, helps while out walking, but was probably going to be put in anyway, and 2 'parklets' on O'Connell St and Catherine St which cost over 120,000, aaaaand that's it.

That's actually quite cheap by our political spending standards

That's actually quite cheap by our political spending standards[/QUOTE]

Honestly that's no excuse for the absolute haimes they've made of O'Connell St which will probably be dug up again for twice the price.

Honestly that's no excuse for the absolute haimes they've made of O'Connell St which will probably be dug up again for twice the price.[/quote]

I'll admit the parklet outside centra was handy for myself and the wife over Christmas, out for a walk, grab a cuppa from centra, sit there and pretend there's normality in our world for 10 minutes

• Advertisement

I was in a supermarket a few weeks ago, I won't name it but there was a security guard and a shelf stacker just inside the door laughing and talking loudly to reach other no more than a few inches apart, one had a mask on under his chin, the other it was under his nose but covering his mouth

I was so shocked I actually put it out of my mind until seeing a similar experience here, next time I'll make a complaint...

There's no excuse at this stage for not knowing how to wear a mask surely?

And before people get in their high horse I know people with big noses find it uncomfortable to wear a mask but I still wear underwear so they really have no excuse

They are doing it cause they are forced to, they don’t actually care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

The price of the parklet(s) in Cork were much lower than Limerick's, though I don't know what Limerick included in their costing versus Cork

The price of the parklet(s) in Cork were much lower than Limerick's, though I don't know what Limerick included in their costing versus Cork

Why did they pay 20 euros for a cup of tea and a biscuit?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I've already post this in the Limerick Improvement thread, but obviously not everyone will have looked in there. https://www.limerick.ie/council/newsroom/news/clarification-limericks-parklets

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Limerick will have its very own COVID vaccination centre at the Radisson Blu hotel

Some hope at last

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/608329/breaking-covid-vaccination-centre-confirmed-for-limerick.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but Limerick will have its very own COVID vaccination centre at the Radisson Blu hotel

Some hope at last

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/608329/breaking-covid-vaccination-centre-confirmed-for-limerick.html

Except it's in Clare! LEDP offered their space with ample parking, on a bus route, within walking distance and right next door to the Irish Wheelchair Society who would be high up on the list!

adaminho wrote: »
    Except it's in Clare! LEDP offered their space with ample parking, on a bus route, within walking distance and right next door to the Irish Wheelchair Society who would be high up on the list!

I assume it was picked with Ennis in mind. But it is a pretty poor spot for a.lot of people to get to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Some hope at last

The irony that is in county clare :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

I assume it was picked with Ennis in mind. But it is a pretty poor spot for a.lot of people to get to

I wonder is it a case of "Died with Covid" rather than got knocked down walking in an unlit dual carriageway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The West County Inn has been picked for Ennis so we're covered :P

Advertisement