Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

52 new cases today in Limerick

Does anybody know of any known outbreaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭le_girl

I'd hope it's the extra testing in UL catching mild, asymptomatic or close contact cases among students :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's probably all the people on the bus to the Radisson.

But seriously we are holding at around 3rd or 4th highest recently which would be expected from on of the countries biggest population centres.
    Have UL been testing for more than 48hrs yet ?

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's probably all the people on the bus to the Radisson.

But seriously we are holding at around 3rd or 4th highest recently which would be expected from on of the countries biggest population centres.
    Have UL been testing for more than 48hrs yet ?

Open to correction but I don't think UL are starting their walk in testing until Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What's happening to the field hospital set up in UL last summer?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

Did it every get activated? As far as I know the regional and St.Johns never got overwhelmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did it every get activated? As far as I know the regional and St.Johns never got overwhelmed

Be ideal for vaccines now.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Sorry I may have missed it but what's this about walk in testing in UL ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It was a step down facility which never had many patients in it and was dismantled around October/November time when the contract ended.

• Advertisement

28 new cases today in Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

A factory in Shannon which employs a lot of staff from Limerick has had their entire workforce tested (over 1000 staff) between Limerick and Ennis, I would imagine a healthy chunk of the numbers are from there as the place is a disaster right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

So scanlons pharmacy on the Ennis road are selling individual masks. Girl doesn’t sanitise her hands before pulling out individual masks and gets ****ty when asked why. I’d be careful buying masks there. Staff have no training in hygiene and a bad attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Our vaccination centre is the Radisson Hotel.

Poor choice in my opinion, anyone using public transport will probably have to book Limerick Shannon, Shannon Limerick to get a bus, no public pavements from the city means it's not really suitable for pedestrians.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

phog wrote: »
    Our vaccination centre is the Radisson Hotel.

Poor choice in my opinion, anyone using public transport will probably have to book Limerick Shannon, Shannon Limerick to get a bus, no public pavements from the city means it's not really suitable for pedestrians.

Go on then, name a place which would be a suitable location for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Clareman wrote: »

LEDP Roxboro, South Court Hotel, Castletroy Park hotel, either Travelodge, Maldron Hotel, Thomond park, St. Josephs Hospital!

Haven't we had this discussion already ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

adaminho wrote: »
    LEDP Roxboro, South Court Hotel, Castletroy Park hotel, either Travelodge, Maldron Hotel, Thomond park, St. Josephs Hospital!

LEDP would probably have issues with parking, the South Court would be a decent shout but I'm not sure how people would deal with all the steps from the car park, the Travelodges have been closed a while I think, Maldron would be a good shout, Thomond Park doesn't have the room space and St. Joseph's is in use for other stuff. Not belittling the sites just everywhere has issues, there's probably no ideal venue.

Every place has issues, I think it would be better to have 2 sites in Limerick, I see that Galway is using the Race Course, I think the Race Course and Radisson would be better than just the Radisson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

LEDP would probably have issues with parking, the South Court would be a decent shout but I'm not sure how people would deal with all the steps from the car park, the Travelodges have been closed a while I think, Maldron would be a good shout, Thomond Park doesn't have the room space and St. Joseph's is in use for other stuff. Not belittling the sites just everywhere has issues, there's probably no ideal venue.

Every place has issues, I think it would be better to have 2 sites in Limerick, I see that Galway is using the Race Course, I think the Race Course and Radisson would be better than just the Radisson.

How would the people complaining about the radisson react to having to go to the race course instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Off the top of my head and not knowing the criteria for selecting a location I'd go for:

The South Court would have public footpaths so accessible for pedestrians, is on or very close to a public bus route and has ample parking.

UL would meet all the above criteria too

St John's Pavilion would suit a city centre location but has poor parking

The Strand Hotel is close to the city, on a bus route, has parking.

The Pery Hotel is a city centre hotel and close to the train/bus station, easy to access for pedestrians and there is parking close by.

If they're not using a city centre hotel then I think the South Court is a far better location.

• Advertisement

I guess I think there should be a city and county venue for Limerick, the Radisson has pros and cons as other places do, I think Limerick has a big enough population to warrant 2 venues. The Radisson is very handy to get to for drivers, has loads of car parking and is big enough to allow for large amounts for people to be seen at the same time but it's the wrong side of the county in my opinion as either everyone from the city has to make their way out to it or get around/through the city to get to it

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Should have the city centre one in Cruises street. Place is empty anyway!

Seriously though, some place like the Milk Market for a couple of weeks would do it, wouldn't you think? Some marquee tents inside, divert the traffic nearby to allow for orderly queuing.

I was talking to someone who was in Merlin Park in Galway, they were saying that everyone was left in their own room for 15 minutes to make sure there wasn't any reaction, once vaccination gets ramped up it's going to be all about loads of parking spaces and access to make sure people can stay 2 meters apart. You'd hope with centres in all counties and with towns like Mallow, Tralee and Nenagh on the list that people will be directed to their nearest centre rather than just the 1 in their county. I must ask that in the main forum actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

MarkR wrote: »
    Should have the city centre one in Cruises street. Place is empty anyway!

Seriously though, some place like the Milk Market for a couple of weeks would do it, wouldn't you think? Some marquee tents inside, divert the traffic nearby to allow for orderly queuing.

Close a currently functioning business, nope not a good plan. That's a traffic bottleneck as it is.

What's needed is a large site with multiple access points, which the Radisson doesn't have either. The lack of transport options is the issue here imo

Galway are lucky Merlin as an old tb hospital is perfect and the bus goes right through it regularly.

sioda wrote: »
    Close a currently functioning business, nope not a good plan. That's a traffic bottleneck as it is.

What's needed is a large site with multiple access points, which the Radisson doesn't have either. The lack of transport options is the issue here imo

Galway are lucky Merlin as an old tb hospital is perfect and the bus goes right through it regularly.

Galway is moving to the race course I think. There are so many criteria for perfect sites I'd imagine there are few places which are ideal, for example in Clare the centre is in Ennis, that's a bit of a trek for people from West Clare who will need to have their own transport to get to it, but you'd hope that people from south Clare will be sent to the Radisson, east Clare to Nenagh and south Clare to Galway,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Ul has repeatedly offered an area for vaccination and was turned down. That place would be ideal, plenty of parking and ample regular public transport. They had it set up for covid patients last summer so it's not a big stretch to think it would be suited for vaccinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Radisson blu hotel for Clare County as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

YFlyer wrote: »
    Radisson blu hotel for Clare County as well?

The West County is being used for Clare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Really it should have been somewhere on the South side of the city. I mean it's supposed to be for the whole county, yet its in one of the most inaccessible places for the vast majority of the county if you don't drive.

• Advertisement

Irish times have the full list up including

Limerick
    Radisson Hotel, Ennis Road, Limerick

Lansdowne Road is being used which I find surprising

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-locations-of-37-mass-vaccination-centres-announced-1.4485251?mode=amp

Advertisement