Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Really it should have been somewhere on the South side of the city. I mean it's supposed to be for the whole county, yet its in one of the most inaccessible places for the vast majority of the county if you don't drive.
    The other thing about it is, it's about as far away from a hospital as you can get, should one be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Irish times have the full list up including

Limerick
    Radisson Hotel, Ennis Road, Limerick

Lansdowne Road is being used which I find surprising

Maybe part of the plan behind having it in the Radisson is to discourage public transport usage thus reducing potential close contacts

Not overly surprising about Lansdowne, after the 6N finishes Lansdowne will be mothballed for 6 months so it might as well go to good use

53 new cases in Limerick today, 514 new cases in the last 14 days - what's the possibly of these figures being related to UL starting walk-in testing of their students today?

Edit: not trying to blame students just using the logic that if you test more you'll find more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Maybe part of the plan behind having it in the Radisson is to discourage public transport usage this reducing potential close contacts

Not overly surprising about Lansdowne, after the 6N finishes Lansdowne will be mothballed for 6 months so it might as well go to good use

53 new cases in Limerick today, 514 new cases in the last 14 days - what's the possibly of these figures being related to UL starting walk-in testing of their students today?

Edit: not trying to blame students just using the logic that if you test more you'll find more

The factory in Shannon has a significant amount of those numbers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

120 students from an unnamed third level institution have tested positive in Limerick in the last week. I reckon that's more likely to be the main cause in Limerick than the testing in EI.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/coronavirus/610173/breaking-120-limerick-students-test-positive-for-covid-19-as-outbreak-is-confirmed.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

While people will always think they have a better location in mind than the chosen place, you would really have to question the suitability of the Radisson. The location doesn't have good accessiblility for non-motorists. The bus outwards from city centre drops you at the opposite side of dual carriageway with no safe crossing area. There are no paths for pedestrians. Between UL, LIT, numerous hotels all across the city and county, its a bit more than flabbergasting by whoever made the decision. Actually, The Greenhill ran a very successful blood Bank last week - good location, good space, very accessible.

• Advertisement

While people will always think they have a better location in mind than the chosen place, you would really have to question the suitability of the Radisson. The location doesn't have good accessiblility for non-motorists. The bus outwards from city centre drops you at the opposite side of dual carriageway with no safe crossing area. There are no paths for pedestrians. Between UL, LIT, numerous hotels all across the city and county, its a bit more than flabbergasting by whoever made the decision. Actually, The Greenhill ran a very successful blood Bank last week - good location, good space, very accessible.

I'd say they're targeting car drivers somehow, most people would have cars in Limerick so it makes more sense than risking close contacts on public transport, walkers bring in the added risk of chit-chat outside that you see in schools... Whereas if you're given the vaccine in your car you're in and out and no faffing about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

I'd say they're targeting car drivers somehow, most people would have cars in Limerick so it makes more sense than risking close contacts on public transport, walkers bring in the added risk of chit-chat outside that you see in schools... Whereas if you're given the vaccine in your car you're in and out and no faffing about

Except you've to be monitored for 15mins in isolation. It's not like getting tested!

adaminho wrote: »
    Except you've to be monitored for 15mins in isolation. It's not like getting tested!

Your own car would be a safe place to isolate though wouldn't it? Another benefit to the Radisson is there's much less chance of getting caught in traffic getting in or out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Your own car would be a safe place to isolate though wouldn't it? Another benefit to the Radisson is there's much less chance of getting caught in traffic getting in or out

I don't think the will do the vaccination outside or let you take your 10 mins in the car. Very hard for a nurse to monitor 20 cars to see if people pass out or go anaphylactic

You won't be getting vaccinated in your car. You'll enter the hotel and be assigned a cubicle where you'll get vaccinated and then you'll wait there for 15 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

You won't be getting vaccinated in your car. You'll enter the hotel and be assigned a cubicle where you'll get vaccinated and then you'll wait there for 15 mins.
    Ridiculous why not do it in cars like plenty of other places have. You get tagged if your allergic to anything and you can wait in your car. Don't see why you have to go into somewhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

sioda wrote: »
    Ridiculous why not do it in cars like plenty of other places have. You get tagged if your allergic to anything and you can wait in your car. Don't see why you have to go into somewhere

You go into a medical area, you answer a couple of questions, you get the jab and then you are left for 15 to be monitored for any reaction, once you're clear off you go. Same as the flu.

Probably because that would require medical staff to be outdoors in Irish weather with vaccines that have to be stored at - 80°C and - 20°C and moving between parked cars.
    Do you want or be vaccinated while the rain pisses through your open window?

Who is doing it in cars ?

Also 130 cases found so far in the UL tests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Who is doing it in cars ?

Also 130 cases found so far in the UL tests
    In Britain and all over the states they have drive through vaccination set ups. Also limits interaction.

I couldn't careless what weather and the vaccines need it be stored at that temp but will survive been admisistered in any weather

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In Britain and all over the states they have drive through vaccination set ups. Also limits interaction.

I couldn't careless what weather and the vaccines need it be stored at that temp but will survive been admisistered in any weather

I'd say ask this in the main COVID thread rather than here, this is a national issue rather than a regional 1, I'm sure there's lots of variables at play.

2 countries that no one in their right mind should ever suggest copying after the s*** shows they have been both during Covid and over the last 5 years

Do we even know if it will be drive-thru or is it speculation?

Do we even know if it will be drive-thru or is it speculation?

Definitely will not be drive-thru

Clareman wrote: »
    Definitely will not be drive-thru

How do you figure?

• Advertisement

And yet will have vaccinated populations way before us.
    The will have given one dose of the vaccination. Against the advice of Pfizer they're waiting 3 months rather than 3-4 weeks to administer the second dose. You need two for full protection. As of now we have a larger percentage of our population fully vaccinated with two doses.

I'd much rather a slower, but far less risky and actually following the manufacturer guidelines vaccine roll out myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

2 countries that no one in their right mind should ever suggest copying after the s*** shows they have been both during Covid and over the last 5 years

Certainly wouldn’t want to copy a country who has given 20% of their adult population their first dose.

How do you figure?
    Because the HSE have already explained how it's going to happen. It won't be drive through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

The will have given one dose of the vaccination. Against the advice of Pfizer they're waiting 3 months rather than 3-4 weeks to administer the second dose. You need two for full protection. As of now we have a larger percentage of our population fully vaccinated with two doses.

I'd much rather a slower, but far less risky and actually following the manufacturer guidelines vaccine roll out myself.
    They thought the loss of life would be lower with their strategy. WHO has now approved that strategy.

They thought the loss of life would be lower with their strategy. WHO has now approved their strategy.
    Pfizer hasn't. They give no guarantees on the efficacy after such a long delay between doses.

They thought the loss of life would be lower with their strategy. WHO has now approved that strategy.

The WHO also praised China's initial response to the virus and criticised Australian and kiwi zero COVID policies - sometimes the WHO gets it wrong

Certainly wouldn’t want to copy a country who has given 20% of their adult population their first dose.

And have the 4th highest deaths per million in the world.
    Also I dont care who oks it I think the 12 week wait is a joke and playing with fire and I am very happy I was lucky enough to get Pfizer cause I would be well annoyed and nervous about waiting 12 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

120 students from an unnamed third level institution have tested positive in Limerick in the last week. I reckon that's more likely to be the main cause in Limerick than the testing in EI.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/coronavirus/610173/breaking-120-limerick-students-test-positive-for-covid-19-as-outbreak-is-confirmed.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

More than likely UL as testing commence there prior to the Christmas break.

Dealing with some muppets on Limerick Leader Facebook page that are claiming the positive cases are from the Algerian students that arrived in January.

YFlyer wrote: »
    More than likely UL as testing commence there prior to the Christmas break.

Dealing with some muppets on Limerick Leader Facebook page that are claiming the positive cases are from the Algerian students that arrived in January.

Questionable as to why they needed to come in the first place with 90% of classes going online, but on the flip side Algeria has had 110,000 cases on a population of 44m so I'd be very slow to lay any blame at their feet

• Advertisement

Questionable as to why they needed to come in the first place with 90% of classes going online, but on the flip side Algeria has had 110,000 cases on a population of 44m so I'd be very slow to lay any blame at their feet

I suppose the Algerians were up in Galway rubbing off NUIG students too :mad:

This is all NPHET really had to say on clusters
    "Mixing between households was “definitely” a factor in many of the outbreaks"

Advertisement