Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

breezy1985 wrote: »
    And have the 4th highest deaths per million in the world.
    Also I dont care who oks it I think the 12 week wait is a joke and playing with fire and I am very happy I was lucky enough to get Pfizer cause I would be well annoyed and nervous about waiting 12 weeks

You got one already? Fair play.
    The nonsense about international students is just white noise to me at this stage.

Clareman wrote: »
    I guess I think there should be a city and county venue for Limerick, the Radisson has pros and cons as other places do, I think Limerick has a big enough population to warrant 2 venues. The Radisson is very handy to get to for drivers, has loads of car parking and is big enough to allow for large amounts for people to be seen at the same time but it's the wrong side of the county in my opinion as either everyone from the city has to make their way out to it or get around/through the city to get to it

Everyone is making the same point all over twitter and facebook, as well as highlighting the non car owner/reliant on public transport demographic not being considered. The whole the Radisson is in Clare issue seems to be ramping up frustrations felt by people from County Limerick too.

Getting a bit tired of it all tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Questionable as to why they needed to come in the first place with 90% of classes going online, but on the flip side Algeria has had 110,000 cases on a population of 44m so I'd be very slow to lay any blame at their feet

Online for 1st year. Laboratory base onwards. As long as they were quarantine a d then checked again with PCR, all is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

jpharvey wrote: »
    Everyone is making the same point all over twitter and facebook, as well as highlighting the non car owner/reliant on public transport demographic not being considered. The whole the Radisson is in Clare issue seems to be ramping up frustrations felt by people from County Limerick too.

Personally I'd swim from Kilkee to New York for a vaccine, county Clare is beyond doable, another point is the vaccines are time limited, I think 8 hours after removal from cold storage, do we really want to be relying on public transport?

You got one already? Fair play.
    The nonsense about international students is just white noise to me at this stage.

I think the international students, like most minorities are easy targets... Fact is that human to human transmission is what spreads it, can we say human beings are to blame?
    YFlyer wrote: »
    Online for 1st year. Laboratory base onwards. As long as they were quarantine a d then checked again with PCR, all is good.

Sure they can't do any more than that to make sure they aren't carrying the virus

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

OK folks time to get things back on track, this is a regional forum please limit the COVID discussion to just issues relating to the issue, there is a full COVID forum on boards where national/international issues can be discussed as well as details on vaccines.

Listening to Limerick today and Niall Collins (Fianna Fail TD for Limerick) says that a points based calculated report was carried out by the HSE to determine that the Radisson was the best location, ie it wasn't politically motivated

I hope they make the report public, would love to take a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Listening to Limerick today and Niall Collins (Fine Gael TD for Limerick) says that a points based calculated report was carried out by the HSE to determine that the Radisson was the best location, ie it wasn't politically motivated

I hope they make the report public, would love to take a look

FOI request would obligate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Sister is in UL and told me of a 200 person house party that happened in college court beside the Uni - numbers may be exagerated but the social media videos showed a huge amount of people there.

She was thankfully under the cosh with workload haha.

It also appears many of the attendees then attended other smaller gatherings in the University region (off campus in fairness i might add)

Personally I'd swim from Kilkee to New York for a vaccine, county Clare is beyond doable, another point is the vaccines are time limited, I think 8 hours after removal from cold storage, do we really want to be relying on public transport?

What I meant there is I'm tired of the non-transparency about choice of location and frustrating lack of consideration for non-drivers. I'll be fine, I only have to worry about getting myself out there, but it's adding unnecessary stress to others who have to either navigate it from the other end of the county, or the city itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Clarion suites?

Empty for so long, probably mould all over it.
    Plus it didnt have any large meeting rooms from what i remember, biggest being for about 40people in the old building (ardhu?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The whole idea of doing these things by county is stupid anyway and Ireland needs to get over the county idea for everything other than sport.

North Limerick and south Clare including Ennis could share the Raddison and then put one in south west Limerick/Kerry and so on and you could probably cover better ground with the same amount of centrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

The whole idea of doing these things by county is stupid anyway and Ireland needs to get over the county idea for everything other than sport.

North Limerick and south Clare including Ennis could share the Raddison and then put one in south west Limerick/Kerry and so on and you could probably cover better ground with the same amount of centres

Couldn't agree more, this and the concept of "I want if on my doorstep" is a bit of a farce. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things the distance the average resident in Ireland will have to travel to get to a center will be far lower than most of the world.

I'd rather fewer more effective ones than a load of ineffective ones where all we hear are stories of wasted vaccine etc.

North Limerick and south Clare including Ennis could share the Raddison and then put one in south west Limerick/Kerry and so on and you could probably cover better ground with the same amount of centrees
    Couldn't agree more, this and the concept of "I want if on my doorstep" is a bit of a farce. I'm sure in the grand scheme of things the distance the average resident in Ireland will have to travel to get to a center will be far lower than most of the world.

I'd rather fewer more effective ones than a load of ineffective ones where all we hear are stories of wasted vaccine etc.

Agreed, most of us will probably be getting it from our GPs to be fair so where a mass vaccination centre is will make very little difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭LeoD

Niall Collins (Fine Gael TD for Limerick)

FF

LeoD wrote: »
    FF

Thanks, edited my original post, small correction but I appreciate it

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Sister is in UL and told me of a 200 person house party that happened in college court beside the Uni - numbers may be exagerated but the social media videos showed a huge amount of people there.

She was thankfully under the cosh with workload haha.

It also appears many of the attendees then attended other smaller gatherings in the University region (off campus in fairness i might add)

I'd prefer not to go down the blame game. While there is no shame in getting Covid, it's not fair to assume a student has gotten through a lack of care. Quite often they live in shared accommodation, and will be working outside the home.

If there was a party, I hope it was broken up, and I hope they all get fined. It's irresponsible and I wasn't invited. :D

Thanks, edited my original post, small correction but I appreciate it

Easy mistake to make these days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I think the international students, like most minorities are easy targets... Fact is that human to human transmission is what spreads it, can we say human beings are to blame?

Sure they can't do any more than that to make sure they aren't carrying the virus
    They received the PCR test after arriving and were told to quarantine.

19 new cases in Limerick today, hopefully the start of a downward trend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The skill sets of the posters on this covid thread is amazing ..

epidemiologists
    Logistics and Supply chain experts
    Public health consultants
    Project managers for mass vaccination of entire populations
    Facilities Managers ...

And plenty more, and even some really gifted folks here are experts across all those skillets, some even showing their knowledge of the different areas within 3 or 4 posts.

What a time to be alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

And all the people who actually gave a damn about the rules and protecting the vulnerable were run out of the thread.....

mitresize5 wrote: »

epidemiologists

Facilities Managers ...

And plenty more, and even some really gifted folks here are experts across all those skillets, some even showing their knowledge of the different areas within 3 or 4 posts.

What a time to be alive

I actually think there are some of these people lurking around on the Limerick forums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

breezy1985 wrote:
    I actually think there are some of these people lurking around on the Limerick forums

Maybe I read incorrectly earlier but did you say you got the Pfizer vaccine which makes you either a healthcare worker or over 85 ?

kilburn wrote: »
    Maybe I read incorrectly earlier but did you say you got the Pfizer vaccine which makes you either a healthcare worker or over 85 ?

Yep. Im not any of these 3 things though just to be clear
    Facilities Managers .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

kilburn wrote: »
    And all the people who actually gave a damn about the rules and protecting the vulnerable were run out of the thread.....

You clearly don't give a damn about the rules in here so banned

mitresize5 wrote: »

epidemiologists
    Facilities Managers ...

What a time to be alive

I know sarcasm can be difficult to get across in type but I'm taking this as a sarcastic post and you are right, the skill set for discussing such issues is not available here, even if it is the moderators definitely aren't skilled enough to be able to moderate such discussions, hence when things get too deep we suggest people bring the discussions to the main forum where the skills are, some people don't like those forums so don't want to post there but a regional forum isn't the place for the in depth discussion that some people want to have.

To be clear, the Limerick forum is a part of boards to discuss anything Limerick related, it's not a part of boards for Limerick people to discuss anything, some posters don't seem to get that or seem to think that I'm the past it was a magical place where Limerick people discussed whatever they wanted and the moderators did nothing except join in the discussion.

Just listening back to Joe Nash yesterday (available as a podcast on the website if anybody is wondering) Kieran O Donnell made the claim that the Radisson was meant to be a regional mass vaccination centre but a decision was made in the dáil to put one in every county, not every region

This would make sense as most traffic going between the 2 counties would use this road and the politicians probably thought that Clare and Limerick were the same county or something

Also would explain why the West County which is only 30 minutes away is bring used also

45 new cases in Limerick today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I heard some really reaching arguments against the Radisson. Have to use a car or a bus, but were happy if it was in Patrickswell. Fine walk from the city! Another lady who just didn't want it to be on Clare, and wasnt too fond of Clare people coming into limerick!

I'd crawl on my hands and knees to get a vaccination at this stage. Some people would complain about anything. My understanding is that this is only a mass vaccination centre, and GPs and pharmacies will also be options.

Glad I'm working from home through all this. Fat as a harvest frog though.ðŸ˜

Advertisement