Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

MarkR wrote: »
    I heard some really reaching arguments against the Radisson. Have to use a car or a bus, but were happy if it was in Patrickswell. Fine walk from the city! Another lady who just didn't want it to be on Clare, and wasnt too fond of Clare people coming into limerick!

I'd crawl on my hands and knees to get a vaccination at this stage. Some people would complain about anything. My understanding is that this is only a mass vaccination centre, and GPs and pharmacies will also be options.

Glad I'm working from home through all this. Fat as a harvest frog though.ðŸ˜

Pharmacies definitely will not be an option with current vaccines and the government have said only large GPs. It looks like most will get it in the Radisson

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Pharmacies definitely will not be an option with current vaccines and the government have said only large GPs. It looks like most will get it in the Radisson
    Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine should be available late next month. Single dose and no special storage needed, so I can see that being available from pharmacies. And the government have said that pharmacies will be used.

Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine should be available late next month. Single dose and no special storage needed, so I can see that being available from pharmacies. And the government have said that pharmacies will be used.

J&J is being touted as April if it is approved and ya it looks like it will be available to pharmacies. But no current vaccines are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

MarkR wrote: »
    I heard some really reaching arguments against the Radisson. Have to use a car or a bus, but were happy if it was in Patrickswell. Fine walk from the city! Another lady who just didn't want it to be on Clare, and wasnt too fond of Clare people coming into limerick!

I'd crawl on my hands and knees to get a vaccination at this stage. Some people would complain about anything. My understanding is that this is only a mass vaccination centre, and GPs and pharmacies will also be options.

Glad I'm working from home through all this. Fat as a harvest frog though.ðŸ˜

Look, most of us would travel to Dublin if we had to get the vaccine if we had to! Does that mean we should have to though? There is nothing wrong with questioning the decision to put the Limerick centre in a different county. There were several better options put forward. Don't forget that this is for the whole county of Limerick so you're asking people to Travel from someplace like Abbeyfeale (1hr57) or Dromcollogher (2hr 14) on the bus and then walk across a dual carriageway before making the same trip back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

adaminho wrote: »
    Look, most of us would travel to Dublin if we had to get the vaccine if we had to! Does that mean we should have to though? There is nothing wrong with questioning the decision to put the Limerick centre in a different county. There were several better options put forward. Don't forget that this is for the whole county of Limerick so you're asking people to Travel from someplace like Abbeyfeale (1hr57) or Dromcollogher (2hr 14) on the bus and then walk across a dual carriageway before making the same trip back!

But Tralee is only 30 minutes from Abbeyfeale, Mallow is only 27 minutes from Dromcollogher, as someone said on social media this isn't a Munster final so don't worry about supporting your county.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    But Tralee is only 30 minutes from Abbeyfeale, Mallow is only 27 minutes from Dromcollogher, as someone said on social media this isn't a Munster final so don't worry about supporting your county.

It's the same as people checking Limericks daily numbers against the likes of Leitrim and Kilkenny as if the GAA have a new trophy for the Covid All Ireland

But it hasn't been announced if you can transfer to your nearest centre rather than your county! I'm sure the people of Meelick and Parteen would complain if they had to travel to Ennis! the problem is saying there is a centre in every county when there isn't!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

But it hasn't been announced if you can transfer to your nearest centre rather than your county! I'm sure the people of Meelick and Parteen would complain if they had to travel to Ennis! the problem is saying there is a centre in every county when there isn't!

These are mass vaccination centers,GPs will be dispensing the vaccine as hopefully so will pharmacies. I'd say ask in the general covid forum about who goes where and what are the criteria

These are mass vaccination centers,GPs will be dispensing the vaccine as hopefully so will pharmacies. I'd say ask in the general covid forum about who goes where and what are the criteria
    That beg's the question of why do we need a mass vaccination centre so? If we can all just go to our local GP!

That beg's the question of why do we need a mass vaccination centre so? If we can all just go to our local GP!

This is from the Citizens Information site and the HSE

"At the start, when the supply of vaccines is most limited, the vaccine will be available to the highest priority groups and will be administered in hospitals and nursing homes.
    When vaccines are more available, the next groups in the priority list can get the vaccine at larger centres which will be set up around the country. These centres will be called Mass Vaccination Clinics. You can access a list of locations for the 37 vaccination centres that are planned under the Government's COVID-19 Vaccination Programme (pdf).
    Later, when vaccines are more generally available, GPs and pharmacies may also give vaccinations."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

Is there anything to be said for another Mass, Vaccination Clinic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

If a good buddy of yours was getting married in the Radisson you'd make it without any complaining, in fact you'd be delighted to get there.

And people are pissing and moaning about going to the same place to get a vaccine that will allow all ours lives to get back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

mitresize5 wrote: »
    If a good buddy of yours was getting married in the Radisson you'd make it without any complaining, in fact you'd be delighted to get there.

And people are pissing and moaning about going to the same place to get a vaccine that will allow all ours lives to get back to normal.

If you were going to a wedding and didn't have a car you could grab a lift off someone, that's not happening. It's short sighted imo not to have the site at least on a city bus route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

You're not comparing like for like here.

I haven't had anyone bar immediate family in my car since March 2020.

I've booked the Radisson numerous times for work conferences/meeting, etc and it's a great location for people attending by car not so good for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

so who are all these people who don't have access to cars?

Our grannies - who will need a lift to the GP surgeries to get a vaccine anyway
    Our late teens and early 20's - who are in family bubbles and in and out of cars anyway.

Granted they will be a very small cohort who have no access to cars and will have to get public transport which is available or schedule it with their GP.

How did these people get to testing centres in Limerick and Ennis over the last 12 months. Both of these were in out of town locations not on public transport routes. Ballymaley in Ennis and the old Heiton Buckley site in Ballysimon. I you can make it to a test centre with suspected covid I imagine you'll make it a hotel to get your vaccine

Anyway Im out - I'm personally delighted I know where Im getting vaccinated and a rough time line for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In fairness most of Limerick have cars these days and anybody that doesn't isn't going to be left behind according to the HSE there's also many many GPs and pharmacies across the city and county so moot issue there also

The hotel is on the doorstep of the city and also provides easy access to 6 mile bridge, Shannon, Bunratty, Cratloe and Meelick, that's easily 120,000 people in the catchment area which is about the same as any other proposed location on here

Our late teens and early 20's - who are in family bubbles and in and out of cars anyway.

Granted they will be a very small cohort who have no access to cars and will have to get public transport which is available or schedule it with their GP.

How did these people get to testing centres in Limerick and Ennis over the last 12 months. Both of these were in out of town locations not on public transport routes. Ballymaley in Ennis and the old Heiton Buckley site in Ballysimon. I you can make it to a test centre with suspected covid I imagine you'll make it a hotel to get your vaccine

Anyway Im out - I'm personally delighted I know where Im getting vaccinated and a rough time line for it.

Having access to a car shouldn't be necessary for health care! The testing centres in Limerick were Ballysimon Road (307) St Josephs (304,305,307 and 308) and the Gaelic grounds (306)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

The transport to and from that hotel might very well end up being a non issue for most people .

I think the question that should be asked is 'why ?' , why that hotel ? why was it chosen above any other place ? what did it have that the others didn't? and I suppose that question isn't really for the Limerick forum .

From the Taoiseach talking on Live 95 this morning. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/610903/taoiseach-says-government-may-consider-second-covid-19-mass-vaccination-centre-for-limerick.html
    “The vaccination centres will be supplementary when we get to a mass vaccination stage, depending on volumes of vaccines coming into the country, and that will be around the April/May period when the utilisation of these centres will be needed,”

....The majority of citizens will be vaccinated in GP’s surgeries, in pharmacies....
    “If there is a need for an additional vaccine [centre] in Limerick, that can certainly be looked at," he said.

He added government “does not have an issue at all”, with providing a second vaccine centre, if an amended request came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

You're completely missing the point and going by your opening sentence above I think you want to miss the point just to have a go at other posters.

• Advertisement

Having access to a car shouldn't be necessary for health care! The testing centres in Limerick were Ballysimon Road (307) St Josephs (304,305,307 and 308) and the Gaelic grounds (306)

The ballysimon centre is the only one operational at the moment, it's on the 307 route, this bus runs every hour and drops you on the opposite side of a busy road (sound familiar)

Also very small correction - the gaelic grounds is on the 302 and 343 bus routes but not the 306
    jonski wrote: »
    The transport to and from that hotel might very well end up being a non issue for most people .

I think the question that should be asked is 'why ?' , why that hotel ? why was it chosen above any other place ? what did it have that the others didn't? and I suppose that question isn't really for the Limerick forum .

Equally I think a question has to be asked, why not? Other than being nearer to a bus stop and having less parking spaces what do other potential locations around Limerick have that the Radisson does not?

I suppose there's also the possibility that the likes of the Strand and the Southcourt didn't put themselves forward as an option. It's all well and good saying that it should be here or there, but some of the places listed in this thread may never have been an option.

I suppose there's also the possibility that the likes of the Strand and the Southcourt didn't put themselves forward as an option. It's all well and good saying that it should be here or there, but some of the places listed in this thread may never have been an option.

I think the HSE said that places were assessed on a points scale and decisions made on that, I'm sure a FoI request would get the information if anyone wanted to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Second worst in the country after Dublin according to the figures announced today. The local paper (on a FB post) says that the number of visitors to Curraghchase has trebled to whit one of commenters under that FB post says "I was there yesterday barely anyone there. I paid for my membership so the gaurds can do one. It's not like your near anyone wen your there it's a big forest".
    What can you do with that attitude, are gymgoers allowed to break in to as they paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

There was a 3 hour strike in UHL earlier today over the locking of a staff tea room for social distancing reasons. Although I'm in favour of unions, and staff being able to take industrial action, and maybe I'm reading too much into this, I really, really do not want porters - people who by necessity spend their days all over a hospital - meeting up in a room and potentially spreading the virus from patients to each other and then to other patients.

The_Dave wrote: »
    Second worst in the country after Dublin according to the figures announced today. The local paper (on a FB post) says that the number of visitors to Curraghchase has trebled to whit one of commenters under that FB post says "I was there yesterday barely anyone there. I paid for my membership so the gaurds can do one. It's not like your near anyone wen your there it's a big forest".
    What can you do with that attitude, are gymgoers allowed to break in to as they paid.

Yes 49 new cases today

I didn't even realise there was a membership option in curraghchase... You learn something new every day eh?
    Louche Lad wrote: »
    There was a 3 hour strike in UHL earlier today over the locking of a staff tea room for social distancing reasons. Although I'm in favour of unions, and staff being able to take industrial action, and maybe I'm reading too much into this, I really, really do not want porters - people who by necessity spend their days all over a hospital - meeting up in a room and potentially spreading the virus from patients to each other and then to other patients.

Were the porters not vaccinated in the first round,? Personally I don't think I'd be one to deny them a tea room, not only are they frontline workers but they probably keep socially distant better than the average Joe Soap, probably cleaner hands as well

Plus keeping their morale up during these times is important

Were the porters not vaccinated in the first round,? Personally I don't think I'd be one to deny them a tea room, not only are they frontline workers but they probably keep socially distant better than the average Joe Soap, probably cleaner hands as well

Plus keeping their morale up during these times is important

You do realise that even if you're vaccinated you can still carry Covid! Probably better off in another thread but the vaccine only mitigates your symptoms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Louche Lad wrote: »

Utter lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/610716/mayor-of-limerick-becomes-a-grandfather-once-again.html

I thought household mixing was forbidden. Does he live with them?

• Advertisement

Did you actually read it?
    Although Shane and Sharon are in the same bubble, Mayor Collins took precautionary measures when welcoming the newborn baby into the family fold just outside Newcastle West.
    Social bubbles between two households are allowed for a number of various reasons.

Advertisement