Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Did you actually read it?

Social bubbles between two households are allowed for a number of various reasons.

Didn't realise support bubbles were a thing. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

adaminho wrote: »
    You do realise that even if you're vaccinated you can still carry Covid! Probably better off in another thread but the vaccine only mitigates your symptoms!

Yes of course but if they don't become ill from it there's not much chance of it being spread even to their households, furthermore the room in question had a limit of 5 people in order to maintain social distancing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just a reminder that this is a not an expert forum and medical advice is against the T&Cs of boards. I'm really not comfortable with speculation into the transmission of the virus amongst vaccinated people, this is really not a suitable topic for a regional forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Yes of course but if they don't become ill from it there's not much chance of it being spread even to their households, furthermore the room in question had a limit of 5 people in order to maintain social distancing
    Regardless of how likely or not they were to get or pass on the virus, striking during the pandemic, especially over something so miniscule, is really not a good look. I can't see them getting much, if any support over this.

• Advertisement

adaminho wrote: »

You can form a support bubble with another household if you:

1. are living alone with children under the age of 18
    live alone
    2. share parenting or custody arrangements
    3. live with an adult you provide care for (for example a dependent adult relation or a partner with dementia)
    4. live by yourself and have a carer or carers who support you, including a live-in carer

I'm not very familiar with our mayor's personal life - in fact, until I looked at this thread today I didn't even know who our Mayor is - but presumably one of the above applies to him or his daughter?

Regardless of how likely or not they were to get or pass on the virus, striking during the pandemic, especially over something so miniscule, is really not a good look. I can't see them getting much, if any support over this.

It might be miniscule to you and me but bear in mind the pressure these people are under and the deceased morale in their workplace since the pandemic began. There's a huge cohort of people that will never support any striking workers and that's their right but I think public support for our frontline staff will remain high for many years to come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

It might be miniscule to you and me but bear in mind the pressure these people are under and the deceased morale in their workplace since the pandemic began. There's a huge cohort of people that will never support any striking workers and that's their right but I think public support for our frontline staff will remain high for many years to come

From my experience of hospital porters I wouldn't be giving them much support.

They do it their way or not at all, usually not at all.

phog wrote: »
    From my experience of hospital porters I wouldn't be giving them much support.

They do it their way or not at all, usually not at all.

Ah, so your lack of support is because you think you know how to do their job better than they do? Well good on you! I just hope your tea room never gets taken away as I'm sure disposal porters reading this won't be supporting you either

You can form a support bubble with another household if you:

1. are living alone with children under the age of 18
    live alone
    2. share parenting or custody arrangements
    3. live with an adult you provide care for (for example a dependent adult relation or a partner with dementia)
    4. live by yourself and have a carer or carers who support you, including a live-in carer

I'm not very familiar with our mayor's personal life - in fact, until I looked at this thread today I didn't even know who our Mayor is - but presumably one of the above applies to him or his daughter?
    No idea of the mayor's circumstances, and its not really any of our business, but added to that list grandparents are allowed to provide childcare for their grandchildren. That's also a bubble between two households.

• Advertisement

I've had to eat my lunch in my car every day since April. I've to show a letter to the guards to be allowed to travel to work. I haven't seen some family members in months. I'm not allowed to travel where or when I want. Our civil liberties have been suspended so that we can deal with the the virus.

So no, I don't have any sympathy for any worker striking over access to a canteen in a hospital during a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Ah, so your lack of support is because you think you know how to do their job better than they do? Well good on you!

No, I never said that so don't try and put words in my mouth.

If you don't understand my post then ask for clarity.
    I just hope your tea room never gets taken away as I'm sure disposal porters reading this won't be supporting you either

As for my tea room, our kettles, coffee machine, crockery and cutlery were all removed by management, all that's left are a tables with one chair per table, and hot a water boiler.

No idea of the mayor's circumstances, and its not really any of our business, but added to that list grandparents are allowed to provide childcare for their grandchildren. That's also a bubble between two households.

As you know our mayor would be held to a higher standard, that's the way public life works, excellent point on the childcare though

I also don't have the most ideal lunch-eating setup and like everybody else civil liberties are very much gone but since I'm not putting my life on the line every day I don't really mind too much

Hence why I would sympathise with the porters

His daughter must be a single mother. I can't see any of the other circumstances applying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

His daughter must be a single mother. I can't see any of the other circumstances applying.

Or the childs father is stationed in an essential and high risk job where he doesn't want to risk being around a pregnant woman or is stuck in Dublin. I know people in such situations.

Either way its none of our business really it's his private family life. And don't give me any bla bla public eye crap his daughters relationship status is none of your concern

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Or the childs father is stationed in an essential and high risk job where he doesn't want to risk being around a pregnant woman or is stuck in Dublin. I know people in such situations.

Either way its none of our business really it's his private family life. And don't give me any bla bla public eye crap his daughters relationship status is none of your concern

Whether the mayor is abiding by regulations certainly is. I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Speaking of mayors, when's the vote?

Our elected representatives make the rules we follow so they should follow them also, in this case it doesn't look like he's breaking any rules so good for him

According to figures released yesterday on the COVID hub Limerick has had 472 cases in the last 2 weeks, 143 of which were in Limerick city East, a possible representation of UL testing everyone?

Speaking of mayors, when's the vote?

The date for the mayoral election is dependant on COVID but the plan as far as I'm aware is October this year to take up office from January until the local elections in 2029

47 new cases in Limerick, testing without symptoms is working it seems

59 new cases announced today, second highest in the country after Dublin, nationally the picture is less bleak so hopefully that carries over in time

Does anybody know is any other college or workplace in Ireland carrying out mass testing? I'm thinking limericks numbers could possibly be high as a result of UL mass testing

• Advertisement

59 new cases announced today, second highest in the country after Dublin, nationally the picture is less bleak so hopefully that carries over in time

Does anybody know is any other college or workplace in Ireland carrying out mass testing? I'm thinking limericks numbers could possibly be high as a result of UL mass testing

One of the Galway colleges is too.
    What's our 14 day average?

One of the Galway colleges is too.
    What's our 14 day average?

A better representation would be our 5 day average, figures for the last 5 days are 19+45+49+47+59 so 219 total or 43.8 acreage

Good rule of thumb is that your 5 day average should ideally be below the new daily case numbers so the current situation is not ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

2nd in the country again. Disappointing to see.

Yes 49 new cases today brings our 5 day average up to 50.2, our 7 day to 45 and our 14 day average to 39.9, all confirming a worsening situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,272 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

People are not afraid of Covid anymore, that and lockdown fatigue. Once the daily numbers started dropping again you can see way more cars on the road. The roads were near empty at the peak of the third wave back in January.

Were never going to win the Covid All Ireland at this rate

27 new cases today, the weekend lull is traditionally Monday and Tuesday so expect this to be made up for in the coming days

27 new cases today, the weekend lull is traditionally Monday and Tuesday so expect this to be made up for in the coming days
    The weekend lull is a myth. I've also heard people claim its lower on a Saturday and on a Sunday. However the actual numbers don't bare any that out. There is no drop off in testing or processing of tests over the weekend and there hasn't been since the first wave when the capacity wasn't there.

The weekend lull is a myth. I've also heard people claim its lower on a Saturday and on a Sunday. However the actual numbers don't bare any that out. There is no drop off in testing or processing of tests over the weekend and there hasn't been since the first wave when the capacity wasn't there.

The lull I refer to is only about positive cases which has been well documented

• Advertisement

The lull I refer to is only about positive cases which has been well documented
    Positive cases are a percentage of all tests done. If testing and analysis of those tests doesn't drop over the weekend then the number of positives doesn't drop either.

As I said it was a thing back in April, but it's not a thing now due to the capacity we now have available.

Advertisement