Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Positive cases are a percentage of all tests done. If testing and analysis of those tests doesn't drop over the weekend then the number of positives doesn't drop either.

As I said it was a thing back in April, but it's not a thing now due to the capacity we now have available.

The new lull day isTuesday. Probably something got to do with people not reporting symptoms or getting tested Sunday or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

57 new cases reported in Limerick today - as I was saying, the lull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/share/radio1/21914030

Disappointing interview with UL students really

Wonder were some playing up to the reporter though

I hope so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

57 new cases reported in Limerick today - as I was saying, the lull
    Slightly lower case numbers nationally. So no lull actually.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

KrustyUCC wrote: »

I hope so

I've just listed to it, and I'm shocked. I don't know are they more irresponsible than most people, or more people in general are more irresponsible than I believed possible.

• Advertisement

MarkR wrote: »
    I've just listed to it, and I'm shocked. I don't know are they more irresponsible than most people, or more people in general are more irresponsible than I believed possible.

The first ejit who had gotten fined seems to have been at a number of house parties with various different groups but the rest sounds normal enough.

As one girl said 10 people sounds like a lot but for her that is just 2 houses that made a bubble which although illegal 2 houses mixing is no different to what most people seem to be up to.

The last lad who said he is being robbed of his college years should really choose his words better when people are being robbed of their life

Infuriating. At this stage though, it's clear that some people just do not give a damn about how their actions can affect other people. And there's no point in talking to them, there is always some excuse.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Leave the ports open then its going to continue.

The fines aren't high enough IMO, 100 quid to some people is a drop.
    They could try grading the fines.
    Travel from outside Ireland then push it to 10-15k, travel from outside county 5k etc.

Money isn't an object, even to some of those students the 100 euro fine isn't substantial when their fees, rent etc is 10 times that a year, so put it up to 5k for attendance at the parties and lets see how that goes.

We are making a 1/2 ar*sed job of lockdown, either they do it right or don't bother and this will only get worse now in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The first ejit who had gotten fined seems to have been at a number of house parties with various different groups but the rest sounds normal enough.

As one girl said 10 people sounds like a lot but for her that is just 2 houses that made a bubble which although illegal 2 houses mixing is no different to what most people seem to be up to.

The last lad who said he is being robbed of his college years should really choose his words better when people are being robbed of their life

Hard to believe that people who are supposedly educated, intelligent and well-informed can have such self-entitled notions.

The other group of habitual offenders who get criticised so often, have the disadvantage of little formal education and schooling, and maybe can be cut a bit of slack but (a small minority of) third level students have no such mitigating circumstances and are a disgrace to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

Comhra wrote: »
    The other group of habitual offenders who get criticised so often, have the disadvantage of little formal education and schooling, and maybe can be cut a bit of slack
    Would you stop.
    It doesn't take a scholar to be able to follow guidelines like everyone else is, a pair of ears and eyes is more than suffice.
    Good grief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Would you stop.
    It doesn't take a scholar to be able to follow guidelines like everyone else is, a pair of ears and eyes is more than suffice.
    Good grief.

I know, but the point I was trying to make, is that I'd expect more responsibility and compliance from 3rd level students. Not totally excusing the other folks at all.

KrustyUCC wrote: »

I hope so

Sounded like a lot of Dublin accents in that report, of course we know RTE don't like students or Limerick so I'd take it with a pinch of salt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Comhra wrote: »
    Hard to believe that people who are supposedly educated, intelligent and well-informed can have such self-entitled notions.

The other group of habitual offenders who get criticised so often, have the disadvantage of little formal education and schooling, and maybe can be cut a bit of slack but (a small minority of) third level students have no such mitigating circumstances and are a disgrace to themselves.
    Many highly educated and qualified people are also incredibly thick, ignorant and ill informed. You only need look at the political establishment to see evidence of that.

Sounded like a lot of Dublin accents in that report, of course we know RTE don't like students or Limerick so I'd take it with a pinch of salt...
    Students from all over the country (including Dublin) attend UL. The report is from the Limerick based correspondent talking to UL students in Castletroy. 120 positive cases were reported in UL last week.

But it's on RTE so it should be taken with a pinch of salt :rolleyes:

Would you stop.
    Good grief.

Like everyone else is my arse. People just love someone to attack on this thread first its travellers now it's students. It wasn't all students out in Lough Gur that got the place shut down and it's not just one social group or class not wearing masks probably or out jogging with people from other households either

Students from all over the country (including Dublin) attend UL. The report is from the Limerick based correspondent talking to UL students in Castletroy. 120 positive cases were reported in UL last week.

It is annoying that Limericks 3 most high profile outbreaks UL, UHL and Rathkeale would all involve a lot of people not from Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SketchyPrince

Like everyone else is my arse. People just love someone to attack on this thread first its travellers now it's students. It wasn't all students out in Lough Gur that got the place shut down and it's not just one social group or class not wearing masks probably or out jogging with people from other households either
    Nobody is denying that there's people doing stupid stuff like what you said, these casual encounters like chatting outside shops and whatnot, but what is being done by students and travellers (especially ones coming from England) is far more harmful.

Students have absolutely, positively zero business on campus in any 3rd level institution right now with the exception of less than 1% who do practical subjects like Science.

The fact of the matter is that mammies and daddies are paying for kids to live in university cities and towns so that they can look into the same laptop screen that they were binging Netflix on over Christmas and have a piss up on their spare time.

6 people inside in a house, from 6 different families, with 6 different jobs. They mix with other houses and the size of the bubble grows exponentially.

Of course the universities love the money and don't give a toss. UL paying for testing and overtime for guards to patrol is tokenistic rubbish.

I'm not just hopping on the hate train now because it's trendy, I've been saying it since the winter semester started. It's a load of crap that it is fine for someone to travel from Mayo to Limerick to stare into a laptop screen.

Only scenario I can see that requires attendance on campus is maybe some form of lab work? Even then, it's a bit of a stretch to be considered a requirement. A pilot learns how to deal with disasters without holes being blown in windscreens.

Only scenario I can see that requires attendance on campus is maybe some form of lab work? Even then, it's a bit of a stretch to be considered a requirement. A pilot learns how to deal with disasters without holes being blown in windscreens.

And how much experience teaching in a university would you have to base this on exactly. Lot of people talking pure waffle here and making broad assumptions about people they don't know because they have found another scapegoat

• Advertisement

And how much experience teaching in a university would you have to base this on exactly. Lot of people talking pure waffle here and making broad assumptions about people they don't know because they have found another scapegoat

I've zero teaching experience. That's why I didn't say, "In my expert opinion". I said "Only scenario I can see"

I do know when the discussion in UL was about what on site access would be required, Labs were always mentioned.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think it's unfair to paint all students as rich kids who mammy and daddy are supporting who have loads of options available to them and have decided to party hardy. The truth is lots of people have different reasons for being there and some of them made stupid decisions while there at college, I know of 1 college goer who is at home with 3 younger siblings and 2 parents working from home, they tried the whole remote college thing but it wasn't possible even when they got their own dedicated internet connection.

I've zero teaching experience. That's why I didn't say, "In my expert opinion". I said "Only scenario I can see"

I do know when the discussion in UL was about what on site access would be required, Labs were always mentioned.

Ok well on lab work and your "it's a bit of a stretch to be considered a requirement" some lab work is long term so just stopping destroys the experiment, also not all lab work on campus is students just learning as some are doing actual scientific research, once they are in then the cleaners and maintenance have to go in as well as delivery teams and bin men.

Munster rugby are out there which also requires all the staff listed above and I'm sure other departments other than science have similar stories.

As for the accommodation students have every right to keep renting them same as any other renter in Limerick who is not from town. They might have partners in Limerick or frontline jobs like retail or nursing or they might just prefer Limerick for lockdown to at home which may or may not also be a house with 5 residents.

There are 17,000 students in UL so they can't all be posh boy on mammy's money partying away on campus

Most of UL students are from Limerick, Clare and Tip because Dublin has 3 universities so most would go there, furthermore most of the students living in the off-campus accommodation are from rural areas where broadband is patchy

So yeah it does seem a bit strange that the RTE correspondent found 3 dubs in that cohort, but maybe it's genuine

Also worthy to remember that Galway and Dublin are having the same problem with student outbreaks but Limerick is an easier target
    It is annoying that Limericks 3 most high profile outbreaks UL, UHL and Rathkeale would all involve a lot of people not from Limerick

Every outbreak in Ireland can be attributed to Italy, it's a highly transmisable virus, that's just what happens

Ah come on Colm, your just throwing unsubstantiated figures out there now that suit your argument without having any actual facts to support your argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Most of UL students are from Limerick, Clare and Tip because Dublin has 3 universities so most would go there, furthermore most of the students living in the off-campus accommodation are from rural areas where broadband is patchy

Not always the case. Tons of kids from Ballina Tipperary living in Castletroy purely for Houseparties. 1Gb fibre available in Ballina.

thegills wrote: »
    Not always the case. Tons of kids from Ballina Tipperary living in Castletroy purely for Houseparties. 1Gb fibre available in Ballina.

Yes but the students living there are probably doing so because they can't get internet in their homes out the country... The fact they didn't get their rent money back doesn't help

Last 3 days new figures
    Friday 26th 39
    Saturday 27th 54
    Sunday 28th 45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40235276.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Brutal! My wife's uncle died last week and friends of the deceased couldn't even attend. Will anything really happen to these people? They believe they're above the law

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40235276.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Brutal! My wife's uncle died last week and friends of the deceased couldn't even attend. Will anything really happen to these people? They believe they're above the law

I was just coming on here to post that, wanted to make sure it wasn't that same thing from last month, but no, 200 people went off to have a picnic / party at a graveyard. Zero sympathy for those involved. I hope they get massive fines. File is being prepared for the DPP, so hopefully they get what they deserve.

Advertisement