Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick leader reporting dozens of students congregating, videos showing about 60 odd from what I can make out, RTE reporting gardaí have arrested 3 people

So by my maths there's a 1 in 20 chance of being arrested for breaking COVID guidelines? I think I've found the problem...

The Garda statement
    "Three people were arrested at the scene, two men in their 20s for public order and one for misuse of drugs. About 30 fixed payment notices for breaches of the Health Act (Covid regulations) were also issue"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The Garda statement
    "Three people were arrested at the scene, two men in their 20s for public order and one for misuse of drugs. About 30 fixed payment notices for breaches of the Health Act (Covid regulations) were also issue"

Fixed payment notices that will probably go unpaid, and we were doing so well, only 11 cases notified in Limerick today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Your saying it's a copycat of the 'protest' on Sunday? You might have a point there...

I laughed when I read the term 'breakfast meeting' it's like this is a big problem but it can wait until tomorrow
    And what difference exactly do you think it's going to make by having a meeting tonight? I'm not sure what they can actually do to stop people doing as they like off campus.

Fixed payment notices that will probably go unpaid, and we were doing so well, only 11 cases notified in Limerick today

Is non payment of fixed payments relating to Covid common?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a video going around facebook of these little degenerates and their feral antics. A gang of about 60 with booze and fireworks set off out in the middle of the street in College Court. Not a mask to be seen and zero social distancing. Utter Generation me ballbags. I also don't agree that the University shouldn't or cannot do something just because they are not on campus. They are dragging the University's name into the gutter with their childish antics irrespective of being on campus or not. If they are identified as attending the University then they should be expelled and made an example of for the rest.

• Advertisement

And what difference exactly do you think it's going to make by having a meeting tonight? I'm not sure what they can actually do to stop people doing as they like off campus.

It would show a sense of urgency about the situation which I think would send a powerful message
    Is non payment of fixed payments relating to Covid common?

That I'm not sure of, I heard back at the start of February of 6 cases coming before the courts for non payment of a non essential travel fine within 28 days... So that would suggest that some of the first people to get those fines were not paying them

In fairness as a former student (and a former child) I'd probably be doing the exact same thing 13 years ago and fake names and addresses to the cops weren't unheard of either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is a video going around facebook of these little degenerates and their feral antics. A gang of about 60 with booze and fireworks set off out in the middle of the street in College Court. Not a mask to be seen and zero social distancing. Utter Generation me ballbags. I also don't agree that the University shouldn't or cannot do something just because they are not on campus. They are dragging the University's name into the gutter with their childish antics irrespective of being on campus or not. If they are identified as attending the University then they should be expelled and made an example of for the rest.
    Never said they shouldn't do anything. I did however question what the University CAN do. Expelling someone for this could open up a legal can or worms and lead to the university being sued.
    It would show a sense of urgency about the situation which I think would send a powerful message
    To who? These idiots don't care about the Guards or €100 fines. They're not going to be any more bothered by the UL board meeting a few hours earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,070 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jpharvey

The Irish Times report is even more damning. What can the Guards and UL really do?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/three-arrested-as-garda%C3%AD-break-up-street-party-in-limerick-1.4499589

I can't imagine living out there, the residents must be absolutely furious and very worried.
    Mammies Day (two weeks, incubation period etc.) will be interesting.

• Advertisement

That I'm not sure of, I heard back at the start of February of 6 cases coming before the courts for non payment of a non essential travel fine within 28 days... So that would suggest that some of the first people to get those fines were not paying them

In fairness as a former student (and a former child) I'd probably be doing the exact same thing 13 years ago and fake names and addresses to the cops weren't unheard of either

So you have heard of 6 cases in the courts for the entire country and you feel pretty confident that these fines will "probably go unpaid"

Again if you or anyone else is caught outside your 5km or hanging round town with people not from your house (both of which are being done every day by people who are neither students or travellers) should you be made an example of and sacked from your job

Again if you or anyone else is caught outside your 5km or hanging round town with people not from your house (both of which are being done every day by people who are neither students or travellers) should you be made an example of and sacked from your job

If they subsequently contract COVID then it would make people think twice before breaking the rules I'd think

jpharvey wrote: »
    The Irish Times report is even more damning. What can the Guards and UL really do?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/three-arrested-as-garda%C3%AD-break-up-street-party-in-limerick-1.4499589

I can't imagine living out there, the residents must be absolutely furious and very worried.
    Mammies Day (two weeks, incubation period etc.) will be interesting.

Irish times are like RTE, they don't like students or Limerick, gatherings of about 60 students in the treaty city was always going to be a winner for their news

How much airtime did the gathering of 150 people at a graveyard last week get from the Irish Times or RTE?

If they subsequently contract COVID then it would make people think twice before breaking the rules I'd think

Same for the students no?

People are all big talk about punishments and sending "all students home" cause they are a definable group that isn't the general population.

Same for the students no?

People are all big talk about punishments and sending "all students home" cause they are a definable group that isn't the general population.

For these particular students, if they even are students, if they test positive, yes absolutely they should be suspended or expelled, I'm not sure what sending them home would do other than spread the virus to other counties, potentially infecting more vulnerable people

If anything they should be forced to stay where they are at the moment until COVID cases amongst university students fall significantly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

The University can discipline students for off campus behaviour

I used to own and rent a house in Dun an Oir which students destroyed during rag week.

I reported them to the University and they were disciplined, a suspended sentence of sorts, they either paid for the damage or they faced suspension

These people were not just hanging around having a chat, they were participating in a street party which is forbidden under current Level 5 restrictions.

And if my employer was associated with that carry on and I as an employee was identified from a video on social media then yes there would be an inquest and I could face disciplinary action if my actions contributed to bringing their name or image into disrepute. My employment has plenty of fine print around such matters and take such matters very seriously.

Just because these delinquents were not on campus doesn't mean they should not be made accountable by the University.

These people were not just hanging around having a chat, they were participating in a street party which is forbidden under current Level 5 restrictions.

And if my employer was associated with that carry on and I as an employee was identified from a video on social media then yes there would be an inquest and I could face disciplinary action if my actions contributed to bringing their name or image into disrepute. My employment has plenty of fine print around such matters and take such matters very seriously.

Just because these delinquents were not on campus doesn't mean they should not be made accountable by the University.

So now you get to decide which illegal gatherings are ok and which are not. The students should rightly be punished but using the exact same laws and standards as any other adult

So now you get to decide which illegal gatherings are ok and which are not. The students should rightly be punished but using the exact same laws and standards as any other adult

I'm not sure where you derived that from. You asked me would I be sacked from my job for doing similar and my answer was yes, I would be sacked if the company I worked for was associated in the public domain through my actions irrespective of whether I was on company property or not. Same goes for anyone else including students on or off campus. The reputation of the University has been dragged into the gutter through association with these dopes and appropriate action needs to be taken against them, the same way if it were their employer.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure where you derived that from. You asked me would I be sacked from my job for doing similar and my answer was yes, I would be sacked if the company I worked for was associated in the public domain through my actions irrespective of whether I was on company property or not. Same goes for anyone else including students on or off campus. The reputation of the University has been dragged into the gutter through association with these dopes and appropriate action needs to be taken against them, the same way if it were their employer.

You made a distinction between different illegal gatherings. All those people hanging around having chats are breaking the guidelines too

"These people were not just hanging around having a chat, they were participating in a street party which is forbidden under current Level 5 restrictions."

If students were just hanging around having a chat same as others then they should be rightly fined the same as anyone in breach of restrictions. However these students were not hanging around having a chat, they were at an organised street party with booze, drugs and fireworks. Do you not see the distinction? The University can and should act on the second as it's harming their image and reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I know the laws might have been changed but was there anyone charged for the street "party" that was held on a section of Catherine St during the original lockdown? Was there anyone demanding that they be sacked from their jobs or people who are renting here be sent home?

phog wrote: »
    I know the laws might have been changed but was there anyone charged for the street "party" that was held on a section of Catherine St during the original lockdown? Was there anyone demanding that they be sacked from their jobs or people who are renting here be sent home?
    Nobody was charged in relation the 'party' last night either. There were two men arrested when Guards attending the scene found of €17,500 of cocaine in a car.

Other than that around 50 people got FPNs.

If students were just hanging around having a chat same as others then they should be rightly fined the same as anyone in breach of restrictions. However these students were not hanging around having a chat, they were at an organised street party with booze, drugs and fireworks. Do you not see the distinction? The University can and should act on the second as it's harming their image and reputation.

Any who had drugs or fireworks should be charged for those offenses and some were. Meeting in public outside your bubble is illegal no matter what the circumstances but people who are not in easily identifiable social groups seen to love pontificating about the ones who are.

Some on here are acting like a bunch of pious old granny's gossiping after mass about young ones

And in true Irish style it's really granny's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Munsterman12

Such an easy problem to solve but this is Ireland, everything is left to someone else. Nobody mentions the landlords responsibility. Absolutely no security except the guards when they are called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Irish times are like RTE, they don't like students or Limerick, gatherings of about 60 students in the treaty city was always going to be a winner for their news

How much airtime did the gathering of 150 people at a graveyard last week get from the Irish Times or RTE?

On the sliding scale of Covid muppetry (which ranges from 0 to 10), attending a funeral of a loved one or friend is about a 0.5, and having a party overflowing onto the streets with fireworks is comfortably an 11.

Shoe gazing about the Irish Times' attitude towards Limerick or students (which I have genuinely never noticed) is misplaced in this instance.

Yurt! wrote: »
    On the sliding scale of Covid muppetry (which ranges from 0 to 10), attending a funeral of a loved one or friend is about a 0.5, and having a party overflowing onto the streets with fireworks is comfortably an 11.

Shoe gazing about the Irish Times' attitude towards Limerick or students (which I have genuinely never noticed) is misplaced in this instance.

Fair play to anyone who has 150 close loved ones. Sounds like a 10 on the scale to me though

• Advertisement

Such an easy problem to solve but this is Ireland, everything is left to someone else. Nobody mentions the landlords responsibility. Absolutely no security except the guards when they are called.

Reports on Today FM and Live95 are saying the party started at about 2pm, so cops doing something at 7pm is a bit annoying since they're usually stopping me at 7am on my way to work

Advertisement