Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yurt! wrote: »
    On the sliding scale of Covid muppetry (which ranges from 0 to 10), attending a funeral of a loved one or friend is about a 0.5, and having a party overflowing onto the streets with fireworks is comfortably an 11.

Shoe gazing about the Irish Times' attitude towards Limerick or students (which I have genuinely never noticed) is misplaced in this instance.

In not referring to a funeral https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/news/gardai-called-to-cemetery-as-crowd-gathers-to-celebrate-deceaseds-birthday-with-loud-music-40141924.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Such an easy problem to solve but this is Ireland, everything is left to someone else. Nobody mentions the landlords responsibility. Absolutely no security except the guards when they are called.

Pretty normal for a housing estate and rightly so

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

At this stage, I don't think anything people say or do will influence those who don't give a fiddlers. Met a lovely covid denier in Lidl last night. Refused to wear a mask, and store said there was nothing he could do. We don't have a police state, and the general populace is being let down badly by the shallow end of the gene pool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The difference between the two is that one went viral after multiple participants shared what was going on on social media and the other didn't because it was only discovered by local journalists. The graveyard story may not have made as many headlines, but it was reported in the national newspapers (as your link proves).

It's not a Dublin meeja V Limerick thing, no matter how much you try to run with that narrative.

The difference between the two is that one went viral after multiple participants shared what was going on on social media and the other didn't because it was only discovered by local journalists. The graveyard story may not have made as many headlines, but it was reported in the national newspapers (as your link proves).

It's not a Dublin meeja V Limerick thing, no matter how much you try to run with that narrative.

Somebody needs to tell RTE that, every notice how 'fatal shootings' happen in Dublin but in Limerick a similar story is 'Murder' in the headline

There was a lad on RTE radio yesterday morning saying the scenes we saw in castletroy are likely to happen in other colleges but probably won't happen in Dublin because Dublin university students are all living at home... Beggars belief really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Reports on Today FM and Live95 are saying the party started at about 2pm, so cops doing something at 7pm is a bit annoying since they're usually stopping me at 7am on my way to work

Sister lives near and drove threw for a look, they were at it most days and have been back at it since.

Maybe they can use the footage on social media to expel as many as possible from uni.

That might be some lesson at least, but when the gardai show apparently they all just scarper (there are a few ways to escape that spot).

Parents clearly couldn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orangeocelot

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is a video going around facebook of these little degenerates and their feral antics. A gang of about 60 with booze and fireworks set off out in the middle of the street in College Court. ... they should be expelled and made an example of for the rest.

Sorry, haven't really been keeping up with this thread. What are we outraged about this week? Oh we're back to students having house parties... I think we've now come full circle now after travellers, funerals, tea drinkers, dentist appointments in Tenerife, and far-right rallies!

Bring back hanging I say! Let's get the guillotines out too, off with their heads!

Sister lives near and drove threw for a look, they were at it most days and have been back at it since.

Maybe they can use the footage on social media to expel as many as possible from uni.

That might be some lesson at least, but when the gardai show apparently they all just scarper (there are a few ways to escape that spot).

Parents clearly couldn't care.

If only their parents were as perfect as you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,274 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sorry, haven't really been keeping up with this thread. What are we outraged about this week? Oh we're back to students having house parties... I think we've now come full circle now after travellers, funerals, tea drinkers, dentist appointments in Tenerife, and far-right rallies!

Bring back hanging I say! Let's get the guillotines out too, off with their heads!

Calm your self down there hun, no need to get outraged about outrage. It's ok to stick your head back in the sand, everything is hunky dory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Let's get the thread back on topic folks, which is the impact of Covid on Limerick, if you want to discuss overarching issues find a more relevant arena, if you want to have a discussion with another poster use PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If only their parents were as perfect as you

Touch a nerve? Wonder why..

It is very localised despite the news and seems that most student estates in the area have pretty good compliance all told.

What percentage of Limericks cases are in this area v the rest? Does anyone know? In many ways having most coming from one location with low risk people making up most of the population might not be bad..

Touch a nerve? Wonder why..

It is very localised despite the news and seems that most student estates in the area have pretty good compliance all told.

What percentage of Limericks cases are in this area v the rest? Does anyone know? In many ways having most coming from one location with low risk people making up most of the population might not be bad..

From the COVID hub from the 2 weeks between 16/02 to 01/03

City East - 215
    Newcastle West - 21
    Capamore/Kilmallock - 35
    Adare/Rathkeale - 70
    City West - 77
    City North - 91

So City East accounts for 215 of the 509 cases in Limerick (42.2%) and 215 of the 383 city related cases (56.1%)

One point that you do make well though, 215 cases (not all of them necessarily students) out of 16.5k students is a small number of cases

14 cases in Limerick today, things are looking up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

So going down town this morning was quite surprised to see a group of parisheners praying outside the old Jesuit church on o connell avenue no social distance and not masking. Must have been at least 30 people there.

Town was the busiest I've seen on a Sunday for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

sioda wrote: »
    So going down town this morning was quite surprised to see a group of parisheners praying outside the old Jesuit church on o connell avenue no social distance and not masking. Must have been at least 30 people there.

Town was the busiest I've seen on a Sunday for a while

Was out for a walk of the 3 bridges yesterday and was quite surprised at how many people were out taking advantage of the weather to do similar.

Lots of masks, small groups and distancing.
    It was quite heartening to see really.
    We are still far from hugs, but it's nice to see so many adapting to sharing space and being considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭scrubs33

Out in Castletroy Shopping Centre this morning and there was a big gang of kids walking around inside with ne’er a mask to be seen. Just like the good old days🙄 Another different gang later in the day where McAris chipper and Ze we ton are. Things are definitely slipping.

Heard on the radio last week of a person who walked from the centre of Limerick city to the vaccination centre in the Radisson for his jab... Can't find the story online now though... Did I dream it or did it actually happen?

Heard on the radio last week of a person who walked from the centre of Limerick city to the vaccination centre in the Radisson for his jab... Can't find the story online now though... Did I dream it or did it actually happen?

I would be surprised if it's only one. I've done it a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

No pavement after the Coonagh roundabout. Catching COVID might be less dangerous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

No, I read this too. Also cannot find it now. It was a man in his 70s(?) who ran or walked out. Think he was a regular runner though as opposed to someone who had no other choice. Without reading it again I can't say for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

chicorytip wrote: »
    No pavement after the Coonagh roundabout. Catching COVID might be less dangerous!!

There is a pavement as far as the halting site now but ya after that nothing but hard shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jaysus lads I'd run to belfast if I thought they would give me the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

No, I read this too. Also cannot find it now. It was a man in his 70s(?) who ran or walked out. Think he was a regular runner though as opposed to someone who had no other choice. Without reading it again I can't say for sure.

Add another 20 years onto that, Phonsie Clifford is 90 years of age. Ran from his house in Garryowen out to the Radisson.

chicorytip wrote: »

Or go the back way out the Old Cratloe. No path but half the country walks on roads with no path and I have found it safe out there

Add another 20 years onto that, Phonsie Clifford is 90 years of age. Ran from his house in Garryowen out to the Radisson.

Odd that a 90 year was asked to go there as the vast majority of the over 80s are going to their GP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Odd that a 90 year was asked to go there as the vast majority of the over 80s are going to their GP

Found it odd myself as my mam is 75 and was told by her GP two weeks ago she'll possibly be vaccinated by him sometime in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Dunnes Stores on Childers Road was extremely busy today. Reminiscent of Christmas.

Four customers deep queuing at each checkout.

School returns for many children on Monday, so I'd expect that was a contributory factor.

After 1 year of lockdown, I think most people have eased off the precautions. Especially with vaccination programme (slowly) underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores on Childers Road was extremely busy today. Reminiscent of Christmas.

School returns for many children on Monday, so I'd expect that was a contributory factor.

After 1 year of lockdown, I think most people have eased off the precautions. Especially with vaccination programme (slowly) underway.

Yep....was there myself just before 10 and it was jammers. Had to queue for a couple of minutes to get in which hasn't happened in a long time.

It seemed pretty crowded inside tbh but everyone behaving themselves.

Yes it was a lovely story I thought but can't find any reference to it now
    Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Was just in Jetland, same story, Dunnes seem to be really pushing the boundaries of allowable numbers in their stores today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Yes it was a lovely story I thought but can't find any reference to it now

Was just in Jetland, same story, Dunnes seem to be really pushing the boundaries of allowable numbers in their stores today

I'm just home from there. In the queue for 20 mins. approx. Very busy and fairly crowded, more than I've seen for a few weeks now.

Advertisement