Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭AnonZen

Everyone is in the Garden and DIY stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I won't queue simply because if there's a queue, then most likely there's too many people inside to begin with. There's too many some days when there's no queue... Shopping as late as possible is more or less working for me. But there are some places I won't go into regardless because I've seen too many people in there from the outside (Lidl Childers Road, Aldi - any of them).

I've the exact opposite theory, I think if there's a queue forming then the numbers going in are being controlled, the Lidl on Childers road has never been that busy any time I go in between 8 and 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Had the pleasant surprise of receiving an SMS invite
    yesterday offering me the AZ vaccine out in the Radisson today.

Very impressed with the speed of the process.
    The army, the HSE, UL and the other agencies involved have all pulled together to create quite an efficient operation.

My appt was for 12:30, arrived at 12:20, went through the check in process, was directed to the vaccination area, had my jab and was in the car on the way home for 12:45.

My only gripe is that I'm in group 4 ;)
    I didn't know I was this sick :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was out in the Radisson myself Wednesday. My wife was called by Text, referred it said by a consultant. Lots of folks there well under 70 getting the AZ so we figure also having illnesses/issues not noticeable by looking at somebody.

Missus off work yesterday as got quite sick which was expected. As of 6am this morning feels much better.

Was also in and out very quickly. The longest bit being the 15min observation after the jab.

I'll be waiting a lot longer but I'm not bothered. Missus has an illness that's makes her high risk so glad she's on the road to being sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Berty wrote: »

Missus off work yesterday as got quite sick which was expected. As of 6am this morning feels much better.

That's fantastic news, the reason she felt sick is because of the immune response being very strong with the AZ vaccine so a message to everybody not to worry about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Great to read some positive news on here for a change..... hopefully this is the start of the beginning of the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

sioda wrote: »
    So going down town this morning was quite surprised to see a group of parisheners praying outside the old Jesuit church on o connell avenue no social distance and not masking. Must have been at least 30 people there.

Town was the busiest I've seen on a Sunday for a while

So this happened again but see the guards were called this time.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/621445/gardai-clear-worshippers-who-listening-to-masses-outside-limerick-churches.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

sioda wrote: »

The councillor has some cheek
    The Independent councillor said she had been filmed on a number of occasions and “intimidated” while asking them to move along.

She attended a street party last year doing the original restrictions and stood within 2m of other people while there but she then goes and asks people to "move on" because they're not in her clique.

Do as I say and not as I do seems to be her motto.

I've passed the church a few times on Sunday morning on my walk to the People's park, I've never felt intimidated passing them out. I agree they should not congregate like this but they stand as far apart or as close to each other as most people queuing for a coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

phog wrote: »
    The councillor has some cheek

She attended a street party last year doing the original restrictions and stood within 2m of other people while there but she then goes and asks people to "move on" because they're not in her clique.

Do as I say and not as I do seems to be her motto.

I've passed the church a few times on Sunday morning on my walk to the People's park, I've never felt intimidated passing them out. I agree they should not congregate like this but they stand as far apart or as close to each other as most people queuing for a coffee.

Your re right about the people they are just hanging about same as in a coffee shop or park. It's the churches blasting it out the loudspeaker is the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Your re right about the people they are just hanging about same as in a coffee shop or park. It's the churches blasting it out the loudspeaker is the problem

Who are they hurting? So do you believe she used the covid regulations as an excuse to move them on when really it was about the loudspeaker?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Not since the Penal Era have our authorities interfered in religious worship. Disturbing development imo.

Who are they hurting? So do you believe she used the covid regulations as an excuse to move them on when really it was about the loudspeaker?

Who are they hurting ?
    Well the idea of lockdown is to stop them hurting the people they spread covid to.

Would it be ok for cafes to stream Premier League or Munster marches for people to watch outside the cafe ?

I don't know who "she" is but the Gardai should tell the churches to comply and stop promoting events outside their churches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Students blaring music and hanging around in big groups = Expel them!
    Church blaring mass and hanging around in big groups = religious oppression!

adaminho wrote: »
    Students blaring music and hanging around in big groups = Expel them!
    Church blaring mass and hanging around in big groups = religious oppression!

If this had been a mass in Rathkeale this thread would have exploded in righteous anger

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭porker36

don't see the issue with people praying outside in the open, certain building site in Mungret opened last week with a full crew and nothing said or Gardaí turning up

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

porker36 wrote: »
    don't see the issue with people praying outside in the open, certain building site in Mungret opened last week with a full crew and nothing said or Gardaí turning up

If they are adhering to distance then no issue. We are gone mad in the "whatabboutery" now in this country.
    Not sure what we will give out about when Covid is gone! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's been a bit of feedback that I'm being heavy handed and driving regulars away, for that I apologise, I was trying to avoid handing out bans.

We don't want to ban anyone but we don't want threads to descend into the chaos they were in the past, with this in mind all posters should remind themselves of the warning in the Op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah shur Clare have always been a bit heavy handed with Limerick anyway. And people need thicker skin in general.

Was in shopping the other day, not many about and I don't think I saw someone not wearing a mask indoors. Starting to see more roaming groups of feral youths though. I feel sorry for the workers in Supermacs on O'Connell St.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

Just out from a drive about town (within my 5km!) and to say I'm shocked is an understatement. The amount of gangs of people roaming the streets with cans and bottles and carrying slabs of beer was shocking. The garda were about in two cars but not around on foot! Zero social distancing.... No masks.... I actually could not get over it.

Our numbers will climb again....

Starting to see some people becoming lax with the good weather. The bit of cold should put them back inside for a while.

One thing I found strange, was between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Saturday, there was a queue of people waiting to get served in the Italian ice-cream and pastry place. About 20 of them waiting up the street, most less than 2ft apart and only half wearing masks. I know at this stage some people are beyond reason, but I was more shocked to see the place open, as I wouldn't have thought Italian ice-cream and pastries were considered essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

Anyone vaccinated in the radiation as part of group 4? Is it astra vaccine that’s been used? Not bothered just curious.

Starting to see some people becoming lax with the good weather. The bit of cold should put them back inside for a while.

One thing I found strange, was between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Saturday, there was a queue of people waiting to get served in the Italian ice-cream and pastry place. About 20 of them waiting up the street, most less than 2ft apart and only half wearing masks. I know at this stage some people are beyond reason, but I was more shocked to see the place open, as I wouldn't have thought Italian ice-cream and pastries were considered essential.

As essential as any other coffee shop. How is it surprising when Starbucks and the likes are open

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

higster wrote: »
    Anyone vaccinated in the radiation as part of group 4? Is it astra vaccine that’s been used? Not bothered just curious.

I assume you meant Radisson and radiation was autocorrect.

A friend of my mother is in her late 60s and has had cancer, she got AZ in the Radisson last week.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    As essential as any other coffee shop. How is it surprising when Starbucks and the likes are open

I don't agree with them being open either, but I'm sure some people on here would agree that providing liquid drugs coffee is seen as essential. But that would excuse very specific coffee shops. Not Italian ice cream and pastries.

I don't agree with them being open either, but I'm sure some people on here would agree that providing liquid drugs coffee is seen as essential. But that would excuse very specific coffee shops. Not Italian ice cream and pastries.

Pastries are food and food can open also that ice cream place does coffee so its all above board whether we agree with it personally or not.

I noticed new bins all over the park by the castle so hopefully it will at least stop some of the mess from these gatherings but probably not enough. I also saw UL students in TLC gear picking up rubbish along the strands on the hot days last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

They, NPHET, say just 1 in 1000 cases are transmitted outside.
    It follows then, that 999 out of 1,000 cases are transmitted inside.

Why would you want them "put back inside"? :confused:

Food is essential.
    It's not (yet) up to the experts what constitutes "essential" food, but we'll get there :pac:.

Kramer wrote: »
    Why would you want them "put back inside"? :confused:

Because I hate people in general. Quiet shopping is awesome.

Passed a very large funeral in town today - lots of gardai present too. Definitely over 25 people outside the church.

First of all my condolences to the bereaved, I do think funerals are one event where exceptions should be made.

Do the rules apply outside and inside the church or is it just because they were an important person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Passed a very large funeral in town today - lots of gardai present too. Definitely over 25 people outside the church.

First of all my condolences to the bereaved, I do think funerals are one event where exceptions should be made.

Do the rules apply outside and inside the church or is it just because they were an important person?

Today was pretty much a one of a kind event so was always going to be different. You also can’t help who tags on after a funeral anyway.

• Advertisement

Today was pretty much a one of a kind event so was always going to be different. You also can’t help who tags on after a funeral anyway.

I was suggest that all funerals are a one of a kind event. The rules should be applied evenly and fairly. That said, I think the rules around funerals are too strict.

Advertisement