Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

banie01 wrote: »
    Thanks again.
    As I said in the post you quoted, on mobile so forgive me if I missed a link off their page.

100% agree that the traveller community have the same access to Government advice as every other community, particularly amongst the diaspora.
    Of particular note with traveller community however should be how they access that information, and how they follow local news.

Since early November the Government messaging has been to not travel home for Christmas.
    I think as early as the 3/11 Varadkar was promulgating that message with the Government following.

All of the main Diaspora orgs overseas have grudgingly followed along with that message.

Pavee Point is the primary voice for traveller affairs in Ireland and is active amongst many of the European Diaspora.
    Their taking in board that message and reinforcing it is vital. The are a direct channel to their community and their advocacy has done lots of good for them, it's a 2 way street though, with that voice comes a responsibility to ensure effective public safety messaging.

There is precious little of that readily available via their platforms.

I'm not seeking to blame Pavee Point for facilitating rule breaking.
    At worst, ineffective communication and being too late to highlight their immediate opposition to the usual Christmas are the faults I would highlight.

For any community with a large diaspora, their representatives in Ireland be they family, friends or advocacy group carry a responsibility to keep those abroad well informed.
    Pavee Point have IMO at least, dropped the ball on that.
    I hold no animus towards them for the behaviour of those who came home.
    Traveller or settled, there are plenty of idiots enough to go around ;)
    Unfortunately:(

I believe practically every traveller that came home knew the advice and ignored it. So logically if I believe they all knew the advice then I cannot also believe that there was not enough roll out of the advice.

If you believe travellers came home because they did not know the advice then fair enough I can see how you could find fault with the advice bodies and advocacy groups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I believe practically every traveller that came home knew the advice and ignored it. So logically if I believe they all knew the advice then I cannot also believe that there was not enough roll out of the advice.

If you believe travellers came home because they did not know the advice then fair enough I can see how you could find fault with the advice bodies and advocacy groups

That's a fair assessment tbh.

I'd caveat my own opinion largely on access to news, local resources and having that messaging being reinforced by trusted people/bodies.

The messaging to particular groups is very dependent upon the "channel".
    On that point, if Pavee Point are to be held out as a trusted channel for Travellers?
    I really believe they've dropped the ball on this, but enough of my opinion of broken messaging and poor PR.

Here's hoping that come today's numbers the impact of people who've travelled home, settled and traveller.
    Is far less than the hospitalisation numbers would seem to imply.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You can bring a horse to water but you cannot make them drink it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks,

You have been warned already,travellers are an ethnic group and labeling a full ethnic group could be considered racist so please stop, if you don't think some of the posts are racist replace traveller with Asian/Black/Indian/Polish/etc and read them again. Its fine to discuss the topic but if you choose to do so you have to obey by the rules so statements like "all of them" will result in bans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Just drove past the testing area on the Ballysimon Road. I've never seen it so full. Lines of cars stretching around the car park...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

breezy1985 wrote: »

The problem here is people were allowed to travel. Close the airports and ports etc. That is the only way or maybe was the only way. You'll always get idiots who will travel. Don't give them the option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Just over 2 weeks since All Ireland win, will there be a surge in cases from house parties and packed food serving pubs after the win, hope not but probably.

Still a few people wandering around shops with no face masks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,924 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Just drove past the testing area on the Ballysimon Road. I've never seen it so full. Lines of cars stretching around the car park...

Has been like that the last few nights. Drive past there most nights around 7 and on Saturday, Sunday and Monday the queues were long and got longer each each night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I know of a case in a secondary school that was notified to the school on the 23rd.
    Parents were informed that evening and close contacts were invited to testing.

To date (just informed today) 3 of the close contacts have tested positive, 16/17 y.o boys many of whom are heavily involved in local sports clubs too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Drove past at 5.30pm. Scary stuff. Might have to carshare soon to fit into the carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

87 cases today in Limerick.

722 cases 15th-28th December

370.4 14 day incidence per 100,000 15th-28th December Limerick.
    245.6 14 day incidence per 100,000 Ireland

Source Zara King virgin media news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

87 cases today in Limerick.

722 cases 15th-28th December

370.4 14 day incidence per 100,000 15th-28th December Limerick.
    245.6 14 day incidence per 100,000 Ireland

Source Zara King virgin media news.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40198290.html

715 people missed their appointments in Limerick test centres between December 24 and December 28

At a positivity rate of ~10% we can assume limericks figures should be about 70 higher

banie01 wrote: »
    I know of a case in a secondary school that was notified to the school on the 23rd.
    Parents were informed that evening and close contacts were invited to testing.

To date (just informed today) 3 of the close contacts have tested positive, 16/17 y.o boys many of whom are heavily involved in local sports clubs too.

I know of a case in a primary school notified to the parents on the 23rd was always bound to happen

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40198290.html

715 people missed their appointments in Limerick test centres between December 24 and December 28

At a positivity rate of ~10% we can assume limericks figures should be about 70 higher

Is this a Midwest phenomenon. I don't see anything about other areas ?

Ridiculous to put off or miss a test. Do people think the Covid waits until you get the positive test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

For what ever reason but its seems to be taking cases from Ennis/Clare. I tested +EV on Christmas Eve and my Wife and two kids were tested today and yesterday in Ballysimon when we reside in Ennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

ger664 wrote: »
    For what ever reason but its seems to be taking cases from Ennis/Clare. I tested +EV on Christmas Eve and my Wife and two kids were tested today and yesterday in Ballysimon when we reside in Ennis.

Stupid question, but will those people who are from Co Clare but tested in Ballysimon be counted as a Co Clare statistic or a Co Limerick statistic?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Test results are down to the persons home address rather than the test center.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

I live in Limerick and had a test in nenagh last week

md323 wrote: »
    I live in Limerick and had a test in nenagh last week

I was offered one in Galway before despite living in Limerick

I was just speaking to someone and they were saying that they are looking to spread the tests around all the centers rather than having 1 or 2 busy and other quiet, better to have them all at 70% rather than 2 at 100% and 1 at 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭md323

Clareman wrote: »
    I was just speaking to someone and they were saying that they are looking to spread the tests around all the centers rather than having 1 or 2 busy and other quiet, better to have them all at 70% rather than 2 at 100% and 1 at 50%

That's fair enough. I didn't mind travelling out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Just talking to someone there and he said a colleague of his received 6 texts for different appointments. Two were after they had been tested. A few more people received multiple appointments too and obviously only went to one of them. Those numbers of no shows are probably a bit skewed if that is a regular occurrence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Listening to a doc on morning Ireland, if you're a close contact, only get the test if after 5 days but remain in self isolation before and after you're notified.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Listening to a doc on morning Ireland, if you're a close contact, only get the test if after 5 days but remain in self isolation before and after you're notified.

I think it's clear to say that the politicians - and by extension the HSE - don't have a clue what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I can't find the link this morning to where I saw this last night hut St. Josephs has re-opened as a pop up testing site.

I can't find the link this morning to where I saw this last night hut St. Josephs has re-opened as a pop up testing site.

It's in the examiner link I posted above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I think it's clear to say that the politicians - and by extension the HSE - don't have a clue what to do

consistently bottom three in Europe in number of deaths, hospitalizations and number in ICU per 100,000

I think its fair to say its not the HSE or politicians that don't have a clue

mitresize5 wrote: »
    consistently bottom three in Europe in number of deaths, hospitalizations and number in ICU per 100,000

And yet our HSE hospitals are under constant threat of being overwhelmed....

Taoiseach (Micheal Martin) to address the nation tonight. He's likely to announce the closure of non-essential retail, a ban on household visits and a 5km limit on travel.

The latter 2 will be enforced and followed by the same people - nobody at all

And yet our HSE hospitals are under constant threat of being overwhelmed....

Taoiseach (Micheal Martin) to address the nation tonight. He's likely to announce the closure of non-essential retail, a ban on household visits and a 5km limit on travel.

The latter 2 will be enforced and followed by the same people - nobody at all

So tell us what would you do?
    What is your suggestion for alleviating the overwhelmed hospitals in a pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Compare and contrast the number of outbreaks associated with bookshops, garden centres, knitting shops and shoe shops with the number of outbreaks in schools.

And then look at what is being closed and what is left open.

Advertisement