Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

knipex wrote: »
    Probably due to the fact that half Limerick dissapeared for the weekend.

Myself included, but if I got called for my vaccine last weekend I'd have reappeared fairly quickly as I'm sure many others would have also

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Most of the at-risk groups who want the vaccine have taken it weeks ago by this point.

Still not true, plenty of cohort 4 and 7 under the age of 40. They have been abandonned by the government and have to wait until their age ever gets called. It's an absolute disgrace. And people pretending that no-one under fifty has any medical conditions is infuriating.
    Not all GPs are doing cohort 4/7, and referall to the hubs has been made harder than it needs to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Doesn't take a degree in philosophy. People don't get vaccinated, get COVID, and die.
    Two days will make no difference to the approximately 2000 people whose vaccinations were delayed. People who are highly unlikely to get sick, never mind end up in hospital or die. There was never a better usage for the phrase making a mountain out of a molehill.

Tree wrote: »
    Still not true, plenty of cohort 4 and 7 under the age of 40. They have been abandonned by the government and have to wait until their age ever gets called. It's an absolute disgrace. And people pretending that no-one under fifty has any medical conditions is infuriating.
    Not all GPs are doing cohort 4/7, and referall to the hubs has been made harder than it needs to be.
    That's probably why the poster said 'most of' rather than 'all of'. What they said is correct. And absolutely nobody has claimed that theres no one under 50 with a medical condition, so I've no idea where you're getting that from

Two days will make no difference to the approximately 2000 people whose vaccinations were delayed. People who are highly unlikely to get sick, never mind end up in hospital or die. There was never a better usage for the phrase making a mountain out of a molehill.

You're saying 1,000 a day get vaccinated in limerick? That's fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭pajoguy

You're saying 1,000 a day get vaccinated in limerick? That's fantastic

Anybody in the 42 age group get an appointment yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

pajoguy wrote: »

Not me anyways 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Some Limerick residents who are due their second Moderna jab are getting appointment texts for Nenagh, I’m expecting a text in the next few days so we’ll see where I’m off to

Some Limerick residents who are due their second Moderna jab are getting appointment texts for Nenagh, I’m expecting a text in the next few days so we’ll see where I’m off to

Makes sense if you're living in Killaloe or Birdhill but aside from that it makes no sense as the racecourse is meant to have more capacity, not less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Makes sense if you're living in Killaloe or Birdhill but aside from that it makes no sense as the racecourse is meant to have more capacity, not less

The person I know lives 5km from the racecourse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I know several people from the city that have gone to Nenagh for medical treatment, why wouldn't they go there for a vaccine?

People being asked to attend a location outside of Limerick does not necessarily mean there's less capacity in the vaccine center in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,719 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

phog wrote: »
    I know several people from the city that have gone to Nenagh for medical treatment, why wouldn't they go there for a vaccine?

People being asked to attend a location outside of Limerick does not necessarily mean there's less capacity in the vaccine center in Limerick.

Might just be under prescribed in Nenagh so are filling a few gaps

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Might just be under prescribed in Nenagh so are filling a few gaps

Or maybe it's a HSE mess-up

Fella named David on Limerick today there saying he's been offered a vaccine in Dublin because there are no vaccines in Limerick

Sounds like a HSE mess-up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

pajoguy wrote: »

IIRC, on the confirmed appointment thread from Limerick posters, there is a 43 year old being done tomorrow. A 42 year old on Saturday and a 41 year old who got an appointment for Waterford.

It really does seem to be going very frustratingly slowly due to the move. Before last week Limerick was absolutely flying along, maybe just a little slower than Cork and the Aviva in Dublin. But very, very few people in my age group (42) seem to be getting appointments at all this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Yer all mad, well some of you anyway :-)

Im sure if you went back a few months on this thread people were saying they'd walk over hot coals to Dublin to get their vaccine.

Now people are giving out about having to drive to Nenagh.

The world is gone mad Ted ... mad

What will everyone give out about once the pandemic is over I wonder

Or maybe it's a HSE mess-up

Fella named David on Limerick today there saying he's been offered a vaccine in Dublin because there are no vaccines in Limerick

Sounds like a HSE mess-up

How could David know that's why from a text message. It might be true but really he is guessing

iguana wrote: »
    IIRC, on the confirmed appointment thread from Limerick posters, there is a 43 year old being done tomorrow. A 42 year old on Saturday and a 41 year old who got an appointment for Waterford.

It really does seem to be going very frustratingly slowly due to the move. Before last week Limerick was absolutely flying along, maybe just a little slower than Cork and the Aviva in Dublin. But very, very few people in my age group (42) seem to be getting appointments at all this week.

I have heard that this will be one of the biggest age groups so that could be why it's looking slow now. Also the further down the list we go the more time will be taken up wit second doses. The 50/60 age groups are all due back in around now for dose 2. Nenagh is one thing but Waterford or Dublin if true is a bit s**t for people

I have heard that this will be one of the biggest age groups so that could be why it's looking slow now. Also the further down the list we go the more time will be taken up wit second doses. The 50/60 age groups are all due back in around now for dose 2. Nenagh is one thing but Waterford or Dublin if true is a bit s**t for people

People in their late 30s to early 40s make up Ireland's population boom. So we will definitely be a lot slower because of that. But Limerick has really fallen behind in vaccinating. And it's happening at a time when we have the highest regional Covid cases. There should be being a massive push right now to speed things up here. Not allow things to have slowed as it really does seem to have because of the nearly 3 day closure.

Obviously it couldn't have been predicted that we would have had a huge upswing in Covid cases locally at the same time as the site move. That is particularly bad luck. But issues around a potential site move were predicted when it was announced that our MVC would be in the Radisson. Of course a commercial property was likely to want to resume it's business as soon as it could. The contract for the Radisson to be the MVC should either have been for as long as it was necessary or it shouldn't have been given.

People in their late 30s to early 40s make up Ireland's population boom. So we will definitely be a lot slower because of that. But Limerick has really fallen behind in vaccinating. And it's happening at a time when we have the highest regional Covid cases. There should be being a massive push right now to speed things up here. Not allow things to have slowed as it really does seem to have because of the nearly 3 day closure.

Obviously it couldn't have been predicted that we would have had a huge upswing in Covid cases locally at the same time as the site move. That is particularly bad luck. But issues around a potential site move were predicted when it was announced that our MVC would be in the Radisson. Of course a commercial property was likely to want to resume it's business as soon as it could. The contract for the Radisson to be the MVC should either have been for as long as it was necessary or it shouldn't have been given.

I wasn't aware we had drastically fallen behind other counties in vaccinations. I hadn't seen any numbers on output levels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

mitresize5 wrote: »
    Yer all mad, well some of you anyway :-)

Im sure if you went back a few months on this thread people were saying they'd walk over hot coals to Dublin to get their vaccine.

Now people are giving out about having to drive to Nenagh.

The world is gone mad Ted ... mad

What will everyone give out about once the pandemic is over I wonder

if someone told me my jab was in letterkenny id look forward to the road trip to be honest.

• Advertisement

dashoonage wrote: »
    if someone told me my jab was in letterkenny id look forward to the road trip to be honest.

Not as much fun if you don't have a car

It was a 2 day closure not 3, which will be easily made up by the extra capacity at the racecourse.

Limerick has not fallen behind in vaccinations. I've no idea where you're getting that from. The whole country, not just Limerick, is going slowly due to the lack of vaccines. We should now be doing around 400k a week nationally, but because of supply issues it's still only around 250k a week.

Again, Limerick has not slowed down, I waiting two weeks between registering and getting an appointment for the 45 age group and only got done last Friday. It's not at all surprising that people closer to 40 haven't gotten an appointment yet. It takes time to work through the age groups.

I wasn't aware we had drastically fallen behind other counties in vaccinations. I hadn't seen any numbers on output levels
    We haven't fallen behind. They're just unhappy that they haven't gotten theirs yet. 40-44 years old are now getting their vaccinations in Limerick, just the same as in the rest of the country. It wont be open to 30-39 years olds to register until sometime next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My wife is 43, being done now in the Racecourse.(I had my 1st dose in March of AZ)

Brother in Law and his wife both 41 being done in racecourse on Monday.

Busy out here today but still a very efficient operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    My wife is 43, being done now in the Racecourse.(I had my 1st dose in March of AZ)

Brother in Law and his wife both 41 being done in racecourse on Monday.

Busy out here today but still a very efficient operation.

She was in and out in 22 minutes!

Nenagh is one thing but Waterford or Dublin if true is a bit s**t for people

Personally I'd travel to the moon if I had to when I get called.

I love an excuse to go to Dublin but I've no kids and a flexible job. Not as easy for everyone though especially if it's back of the line if you say no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Not much fun if you dont have a rocket.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Not much fun if you dont have a rocket.

I've Elon Musk on standby

• Advertisement

It was a 2 day closure not 3, which will be easily made up by the extra capacity at the racecourse.

It was 2 full days and 2 half days. They closed early on Saturday and opened late on Tuesday. It came close to 3 days closure.
    Limerick has not fallen behind in vaccinations. I've no idea where you're getting that from. The whole country, not just Limerick, is going slowly due to the lack of vaccines. We should now be doing around 400k a week nationally, but because of supply issues it's still only around 250k a week.

While the country (and EU) is slower than we initially hoped due to supply issues, that is not the only reason for us slowing. We have a supply in storage.

Again, Limerick has not slowed down,

Limerick absolutely has slowed down. We were not as far behind other regions as we are now. Of course some of this could have to do with demographic break-downs. We may have a higher proportion of people in their 40s than other regions. I'm not sure if this is true of Cork and Dublin's south side though?

How could we not slow down when we shut our MVC for nearly 3 days? It's actually mind boggling to try and argue that shutting the centre for that period of time has had no effect.:confused: It's not like we've fallen weeks behind but shutting for that time, we have fallen behind by those days.

Advertisement