Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

No capacity lost over the closure. 24,000 vaccines will be given next week. It also be closed June 18th, July 4th, July 10th and July 22nd. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/breaking-news/640651/breaking-ul-hospital-group-confirms-limerick-vaccination-centre-will-not-open-this-saturday.html
    "With a maximum capacity of 46 vaccination booths compared with the 32 available at the Radisson Blu, the Racecourse centre allows us to offset any delay in our vaccination programme that would have been caused in allowing for the relocation to the Racecourse, and from the events calendar at the Racecourse itself," he said.

"Next week, we will be administering 24,000 vaccines at the Racecourse centre, and 7,000 each in the Ennis and Nenagh centres. Losing the days scheduled for the race meetings will not impact, because of the significant increase in booth capacity," he added.

UL Hospitals says there have been no cancellations involved as a result of tomorrow's event and vaccine appointments have been offered to people at vaccination centres in Nenagh and Ennis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Or maybe it's a HSE mess-up

Fella named David on Limerick today there saying he's been offered a vaccine in Dublin because there are no vaccines in Limerick

Sounds like a HSE mess-up

Fella up the road from me named Pat says there are aliens flying over limerick daily..

It's already been flagged that there would be issues with vaccine supply in the early part of June with large deliveries then expected.

Perhaps the HSE are maximising the spread of the vaccines it actually has ??

The move of vaccine hub in Limerick coincided with a low point in deliveries. They did a huge push on vaccines before they moved and there is additional capacity available now to vaccinate more people (when vaccine is available).

Since this program started people have been bitching about the HSE and how they were making a mess of the program. The issue was and remains availability. People were shouting all over the media how the HSE wouldn't have a hope of doing 100,000 doses a week. How they were making a mess of the recruitment program for the vaccine centres.

The HSE do alot wrong but the vaccination program has not been one of them. It's been an amazing success especially when you factor in variable supply, changing political decisions, changing advice re the use of vaccines and gaps between doses. I'm not saying it's been 100% hiccup free but for a program of its size with so many variables !!! It's gone amazingly well.. (and no I'm not involved in the vaccination program or with HSE but I am an experienced project manager)

People need to get a grip and gain some perspective..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

iguana wrote:
    But Limerick has really fallen behind in vaccinating.

Have you numbers to base that on or is it just an opinion??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

knipex wrote: »
    Have you numbers to base that on or is it just an opinion??

I don't think Limerick has fallen behind on vaccinations

We are doing 44 year olds today and tomorrow/Sunday which seems to be a little bit behind Cork, Mallow were doing 43 year olds on Wednesday for example

As far as I'm aware that was roughly where we were before the move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Gary Owen wrote: »
    My wife got an appointment for Ennis Sunday afternoon and was delighted to get it .
    Got a text yesterday cancelling the appointment .
    No new date given . I just got my second vaccine this morning .

Clareman probably told em about all the moaning Limerick people were doing about having to travel for a vaccine so they decided to give your wife's to a Clare person instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Pharmacist here just told me 42 year olds wont be vaccinated in Limerick for AT LEAST 10 days .............

If that's true we should all storm the race course!!

Pharmacist here just told me 42 year olds wont be vaccinated in Limerick for AT LEAST 10 days .............

If that's true we should all storm the race course!!
    And how would a pharmacist be privy to that type of information?

Posters on here have already posted dates for 42 year olds getting their vaccine within the next week, so that pharmacist is about as reliable a source of information as the vaccine center worker who told another poster on here that the Radisson wouldn't be closing the week before it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

I rang the HSE this morning. I was told that some 40-44 year olds will be waiting 4 weeks in Limerick to get vaccinated. I was not aware of the racecourse being closed tomorrow at this point.
    I am hearing also that some GPs have excess supply of vaccines. Should the excess vaccines not be collected fridays and administered over the weekend.
    We should not be pausing vaccines to facilitate a Horserace meeting.

Both UL and LIT have large campus's that are mostly empty now until September.
    These are easier to access than Patrickswell for most people. Its a thundering disgrace what is happening.

AlfaZen wrote: »
    I rang the HSE this morning. I was told that some 40-44 year olds will be waiting 4 weeks in Limerick to get vaccinated. I was not aware of the racecourse being closed tomorrow at this point.
    I am hearing also that some GPs have excess supply of vaccines. Should the excess vaccines not be collected fridays and administered over the weekend.
    We should not be pausing vaccines to facilitate a Horserace meeting.

Both UL and LIT have large campus's that are mostly empty now until September.
    These are easier to access than Patrickswell for most people. Its a thundering disgrace what is happening.
    We are not pausing vaccinations and it's not a thundering disgrace. 24000 people will get a vaccine in the racecourse next week. That's around 10000 more than the weekly capacity of the Radisson. Even with them shutting down on Saturdays they will actually be vaccinating people at a much faster rate that they were in the Radisson.

If there's a delay in getting vaccinations to some people in the 40-44 age group it will be due to supply shortages, which will be similar nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

"thundering disgrace" ... that one made me laugh out loud

In the context of the HSE, people bitching an moaning about it have no idea just how lucky we have it here in Ireland compared to the vast majority or the rest of the world and large parts of Europe. If you were the religious type you'd want to be on your hands and knees saying a prayer of gratitude nightly

History will judge Irelands response to the pandemic very favourably - no matter what mad yokes on the internet think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ah come one CM - call a spade a spade, they should have got a better plan in place if they had to close the racecourse, or should never have agreed to it in the first place. It is a fcuking disgrace.

We are not pausing vaccinations and it's not a thundering disgrace. 24000 people will get a vaccine in the racecourse next week. That's around 10000 more than the weekly capacity of the Radisson. Even with them shutting down on Saturdays they will actually be vaccinating people at a much faster rate that they were in the Radisson.

If there's a delay in getting vaccinations to some people in the 40-44 age group it will be due to supply shortages, which will be similar nationwide.

So there are zero vaccines available in Limerick tomorrow? I don't think so.
    I am also not hearing of any delays in the 40-44 olds in Clare. Friends that registered the same day as me last week being vaccinated today in the West County. Also friends in Dublin and Cork getting appointments for this coming Monday.

I was told it could be 4 weeks before I'll get an appointment in Limerick.

If only one vaccine was available to be administered the horse racing should be cancelled.

So there are zero vaccines available in Limerick tomorrow? I don't think so.
    I am also not hearing of any delays in the 40-44 olds in Clare. Friends that registered the same day as me last week being vaccinated today in the West County. Also friends in Dublin and Cork getting appointments for this coming Monday.

I was told it could be 4 weeks before I'll get an appointment in Limerick.

If only one vaccine was available to be administered the horse racing should be cancelled.
    There is no difference between Clare, Limerick or North Tipp. All are run by the HSE Midwest. The HSE Midwest have in fact said that some Limerick people have gotten appointments for Ennis and Nenagh tomorrow.

And if you read back over the pages of this thread you'll see quite a few posters talking about friends and relatives in the 40-44 age group who've either gotten their jab or who've gotten their appointment. I also know people aged 44 and 43 who've gotten their appointments.

mitresize5 wrote: »
    "thundering disgrace" ... that one made me laugh out loud

In the context of the HSE, people bitching an moaning about it have no idea just how lucky we have it here in Ireland compared to the vast majority or the rest of the world and large parts of Europe. If you were the religious type you'd want to be on your hands and knees saying a prayer of gratitude nightly

History will judge Irelands response to the pandemic very favourably - no matter what mad yokes on the internet think

You do know that by the 30th May Ireland was behind the vast majority of Europe with the number of vaccines issued per 100k of population? Only some countries in the Balklands and the likes of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus behind us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

So they pick a place that was on the side of a dual carriage way that could take ~50% less patients, people complained because of *reasons*
    They move to another place that takes ~50% more patients but has to close for a few days, these days are well known in advance and are being worked around but people will complain.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Ah come one CM - call a spade a spade, they should have got a better plan in place if they had to close the racecourse, or should never have agreed to it in the first place. It is a fcuking disgrace.
    Why? There were 14000 people a week getting a jab at the Radisson. Even being closed one day a week there will be 24000 a week getting a jab at the racecource. They're not 24/7 facilities because there is a limited supply of vaccine. Nobody is going to miss out on their vaccine because the racecourse is only open 6 days a week. No vaccines will be unused.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You do know that by the 30th May Ireland was behind the vast majority of Europe with the number of vaccines issued per 100k of population? Only some countries in the Balklands and the likes of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus behind us.

That's a conversation more suited for the general COVID forum, considering any GP vaccine isn't being included in stats I don't think it's possible to compare but that discussion is for the COVID forums as it's a national rather than a regional issue.

There is no difference between Clare, Limerick or North Tipp. All are run by the HSE Midwest. The HSE Midwest have in fact said that some Limerick people have gotten appointments for Ennis and Nenagh tomorrow.

And if you read back over the pages of this thread you'll see quite a few posters talking about friends and relatives in the 40-44 age group who've either gotten their jab or who've gotten their appointment. I also know people aged 44 and 43 who've gotten their appointments.

I'm sorry that's not my experience. I live in Clare, but in an area that was assigned to be vaccinated in Limerick. People I know who live in Ennis have been given appointments, no one I know in my age cohort where I live has gotten an appointment yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Can you check with the 43 year old when they're due, if it's Monday or Tuesday next week then we are still at the pace we were at before

I'm sorry that's not my experience. I live in Clare, but in an area that was assigned to be vaccinated in Limerick. People I know who live in Ennis have been given appointments, no one I know in my age cohort where I live has gotten an appointment yet.

I'm not 100% sure that appointments are set by your home address, there's other variables such as available vaccines, ages, underlying conditions, etc. etc. I've known people in Ennis given appointments in Galway and Limerick as well as Ennis, I know someone in Tipp town being sent to Limerick, without an indepth knowledge of how they go through the scheduling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Can you check with the 43 year old when they're due, if it's Monday or Tuesday next week then we are still at the pace we were at before

I posted yesterday regarding a 43y.o being vaccinated yesterday in Limerick and I know 2 41y.o's being vaxxed on Monday.

The delay is not down to the HSE or the government. Ireland is totally reliant on vaccine supply. We have been badly let down by both AZ and Jansen and our Q2 deliveries were heavily skewed into June meaning we're getting more this month than we got in April and May combined. We should be vaccinating over 400k a week, but because of those supply issues we're still only at around 260-280k a week.

Those stats are meaningless without context.

Clareman wrote: »
    So they pick a place that was on the side of a dual carriage way that could take ~50% less patients, people complained because of *reasons*
    They move to another place that takes ~50% more patients but has to close for a few days, these days are well known in advance and are being worked around but people will complain.

There are numerous better options than both the Radisson and the Racecourse with existing transport connections and easier access for the people of Limerick.

UL, LIT, Mary I are all free for the next 3 months for example. And the main hospital in the region is already tied into UL.

The delay is not down to the HSE or the government. Ireland is totally reliant on vaccine supply. We have been badly let down by both AZ and Jansen and our Q2 deliveries were heavily skewed into June meaning we're getting more this month than we got in April and May combined. We should be vaccinating over 400k a week, but because of those supply issues we're still only at around 260-280k a week.

Those stats are meaningless without context.

Than why were Ireland impacted more than other countries by shortfalls in supply?
    (BTW - I don't think we were. I think most countries were impacted similarly)

There are numerous better options than both the Radisson and the Racecourse with existing transport connections and easier access for the people of Limerick.

UL, LIT, Mary I are all free for the next 3 months for example. And the main hospital in the region is already tied into UL.

They absolutely are not free for the next 3 months, there are people working and studying there constantly and are looking to get back to a proper schedule for September, there'd be better chances of using secondary schools than college campuses, maybe even Thomond Park.

The racecourse has the largest capacity going and is only going to be closed for a few days while still keeping the numbers above the old centre, it's a non-issue except for people who want just to complain about stuff.

Than why were Ireland impacted more than other countries by shortfalls in supply?
    (BTW - I don't think we were. I think most countries were impacted similarly)

Ask in the main forum, this is a regional forum and not a regional/international discussion area for COVID

I'm not 100% sure that appointments are set by your home address, there's other variables such as available vaccines, ages, underlying conditions, etc. etc. I've known people in Ennis given appointments in Galway and Limerick as well as Ennis, I know someone in Tipp town being sent to Limerick, without an indepth knowledge of how they go through the scheduling.

Maybe Clareman - but everyone I know in Shannon that got a vaccine through the vaccines centers as been to Limerick. Thats about 60/70 people or so.

They absolutely are not free for the next 3 months, there are people working and studying there constantly and are looking to get back to a proper schedule for September, there'd be better chances of using secondary schools than college campuses, maybe even Thomond Park.

The racecourse has the largest capacity going and is only going to be closed for a few days while still keeping the numbers above the old centre, it's a non-issue except for people who want just to complain about stuff.

I respectively disagree. If there are vaccines available to be administered tomorrow in the Racecourse, weather it is one or 10,000 they should be administered. One Vaccinated person is more important than any horse racing event. We need to get people vaccinated as quickly as possible with every dose that is available to us. And of all places Limerick, with the highest rate in the country by a long way, can't afford any delays. It does not matter if capacity in greater now than previous weeks.

The optics of this situation are all wrong too.

Maybe Clareman - but everyone I know in Shannon that got a vaccine through the vaccines centers as been to Limerick. Thats about 60/70 people or so.

I guess everyone's experience is different, I know people in Ennis who have gone to Ennis, Limerick and Galway, I know a husband and wife from Newmarket who went to Limerick and Ennis, I know people from Clarecastle who went to Limerick, I know people from Bruff who went to Nenagh.

• Advertisement

I respectively disagree. If there are vaccines available to be administered tomorrow in the Racecourse, weather it is one or 10,000 they should be administered. One Vaccinated person is more important than any horse racing event. We need to get people vaccinated as quickly as possible with every dose that is available to us. And of all places Limerick, with the highest rate in the country by a long way, can't afford any delays. It does not matter if capacity in greater now than previous weeks.

The optics of this situation are all wrong too.

The discussion of vaccination vs. horse racing isn't a regional issue, this is the last warning, keep it local or risk a banning.

Advertisement