Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

phog wrote: »
    Only for those that want to find something wrong with the vaccine programme.

The alternative could have been the Racecourse said you can't have the facility if you want a continuous run of days, then you'd have the same moaners saying why not use the bigger facility for the days it's available.

They just needed to communicate the fact of the closure days upfront - they didn't. The first that the general public knew of it was last Friday.

MarkR wrote: »
    Bringing wife out today for her 1st Pfizer (43), and I (42) have an appointment in Ennis for Sunday to get the Moderna one. Delighted! :-D

Did you have to request Ennis or did it just happen automatically?

AlfaZen wrote: »
    They just needed to communicate the fact of the closure days upfront - they didn't. The first that the general public knew of it was last Friday.

What business is it to the general public when its open?

What business is it to the general public when its open?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not here?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Did you have to request Ennis or did it just happen automatically?

I believe it's divided into areas, and the midwest one covers Clare, Limerick, and Tipperary. Wife and I have the same address, but are going to two different places, and getting two different vaccines.

• Advertisement

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not here?

No, I'm being 100% serious. What knock on effect is the MVC being closed last Saturday having on you personally? Or indeed on the people of Limerick in general?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I wouldn't say that the first time the general public knew of it was last Friday, my assumption has always been that when private businesses are being used that they will have the right to use their premises at certain times, for example if the Aviva was needed for a match that the vaccines would stop then, the race calendar has been public for a long time, I would say that the first time that anyone made an issue of it was last Friday.

People complained that the Radisson was too far out, on a dual carriage way, in Clare, wrong side of the city etc etc etc, now that it's gone people are complaining that the alternative (which has a larger capacity) will be closed for 5 days between the 1st of June and the 1st of October (122 days) without an impact to the number of vaccines given out.

No, I'm being 100% serious. What knock on effect is the MVC being closed last Saturday having on you personally? Or indeed on the people of Limerick in general?

With it being closed for a day it potentially means that there are a few thousand people in Limerick (location with the highest covid incident rate in the country) and surrounding areas not vaccinated as soon as they could be.
    Is this not of interest to the general public in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

With it being closed for a day it potentially means that there are a few thousand people in Limerick (location with the highest covid incident rate in the country) and surrounding areas not vaccinated as soon as they could be.

Has moving to the Racecourse meant fewer vaccinations in the Mid-West than if they stayed in the Raddisson?

It's a yes/no answer

Clareman wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that the first time the general public knew of it was last Friday, my assumption has always been that when private businesses are being used that they will have the right to use their premises at certain times, for example if the Aviva was needed for a match that the vaccines would stop then, the race calendar has been public for a long time, I would say that the first time that anyone made an issue of it was last Friday.

People complained that the Radisson was too far out, on a dual carriage way, in Clare, wrong side of the city etc etc etc, now that it's gone people are complaining that the alternative (which has a larger capacity) will be closed for 5 days between the 1st of June and the 1st of October (122 days) without an impact to the number of vaccines given out.

The Radisson operated 7 days a week so the assumption could be made that the Racecourse would be open the same. There should have been communication that it would not be.

I understand the Radisson had other challenges in terms of location and access and they were all valid complaints. And I know no location is going to be perfect for everyone. I myself will be getting the Vaccine in the Racecourse and it is a 30min plus drive on dual carriageway/motorway plus a toll each way. If I didn't have a car it would be a big challenge for me to get there for the time of my appointment. The nearest centre to me is in Ennis and it is less than 15 minutes drive.

Just a point on the larger capacity. I believe this is due to 42 booths compared to 37 in the Radisson. On the weeks where the Racecourse is closed for the day it actually has less capacity for that week when compared to Radisson.

• Advertisement

Has moving to the Racecourse meant fewer vaccinations in the Mid-West than if they stayed in the Raddisson?

It's a yes/no answer

I don't know - I'd be happy to see that stats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is this not of interest to the general public in Limerick?

Ah now you're grasping at straws, "as soon as they could be" means having queues of people waiting for the vaccine to be delivered and lash it out immediately, that would be chaos, this isn't concert tickets where you queue up to get it, the vaccine has to be prepared, people have to arrive, people have to be monitored after getting it.

I would say having a free for all in the administration of the vaccine in Limerick would be far worse for the interests of Limerick people than the organised, scheduled, managed administration which is ongoing. This isn't the racecourse owners announcing the day before that they want the place back and vaccines going unused, this is a scheduled closure which is being built into the rollout schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Second Pfizer dose Monday

The Radisson operated 7 days a week so the assumption could be made that the Racecourse would be open the same. There should have been communication that it would not be.

I understand the Radisson had other challenges in terms of location and access and they were all valid complaints. And I know no location is going to be perfect for everyone. I myself will be getting the Vaccine in the Racecourse and it is a 30min plus drive on dual carriageway/motorway plus a toll each way. If I didn't have a car it would be a big challenge for me to get there for the time of my appointment. The nearest centre to me is in Ennis and it is less than 15 minutes drive.

Just a point on the larger capacity. I believe this is due to 42 booths compared to 37 in the Radisson. On the weeks where the Racecourse is closed for the day it actually has less capacity for that week when compared to Radisson.

44 vs 32 https://healthservice.hse.ie/healthcare-delivery/ul-hospitals-group/ulh-blogs/limerick-vaccination-centre-to-relocate-from-radisson-blu-hotel-to-limerick-racecourse.html
    I think that has increased to 46 now, but assuming it's at 44 and the 2 centres are open for the same number of hours a day (say 12) and 1 every 15 minutes, over 6 days the racecourse can give 12,672 vaccines out, the Radisson can give 10,752. I'm assuming that they can do more than 1 per booth per hour, the observation isn't done in the booth its done in the waiting room. Even with your figures there isn't a huge difference in numbers (12,432 vs 12,096) which could easily be made up by opening an extra hour or so.

Ah now you're grasping at straws, "as soon as they could be" means having queues of people waiting for the vaccine to be delivered and lash it out immediately, that would be chaos, this isn't concert tickets where you queue up to get it, the vaccine has to be prepared, people have to arrive, people have to be monitored after getting it.

I would say having a free for all in the administration of the vaccine in Limerick would be far worse for the interests of Limerick people than the organised, scheduled, managed administration which is ongoing. This isn't the racecourse owners announcing the day before that they want the place back and vaccines going unused, this is a scheduled closure which is being built into the rollout schedule.

I'm not saying a free for all. The HSE have said they are just not making appointments for the days when the Racecourse is unavailable.
    Everyone that was vaccinated there last Sunday could have had their vaccine appointment on Saturday if the facility was open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

AlfaZen wrote:
    With it being closed for a day it potentially means that there are a few thousand people in Limerick (location with the highest covid incident rate in the country) and surrounding areas not vaccinated as soon as they could be. Is this not of interest to the general public in Limerick?

Potentially people following the guidelines would sort out the incidence rate in Limerick far quicker than the vaccine rollout will.

There is Zero evidence, none to support the claim that Limerick is somehow way behind the rest of the country for vaccine roll out and even less that they are way behind due to change of location.

People can make all the claims they want but until they can find data or evidence to support it then it just noise.

And for the record a poll on a thread created on the supposition that there is a problem with vaccine rollout in Limerick is not evidence or data.

I'm not saying a free for all. The HSE have said they are just not making appointments for the days when the Racecourse is unavailable.
    Everyone that was vaccinated there last Sunday could have had their vaccine appointment on Saturday if the facility was open.

Not necessarily, a lot of those people would have gotten the jab on Friday or before hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I believe this is due to 42 booths compared to 37 in the Radisson. On the weeks where the Racecourse is closed for the day it actually has less capacity for that week when compared to Radisson.

You are mis-representing facts that are pubically available so with that I think you're on a mission that's not worth engaging in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ardrageen

Just got my vaccine this morning. Extremely busy. We had to queue outside for twenty minutes first in the rain which I wasn't expecting but it wasn't the end of the world. Everyone was very helpful and it was organised very well considering the amount of people coming and going.

I was talking to one or two of the workers there and they were saying that it was the busiest day yet

You are mis-representing facts that are pubically available so with that I think you're on a mission that's not worth engaging in.

I put in numbers that were close to the actual numbers of booths and actually used a number for the Radisson that lessens my argument. But yea, I'm on a mission :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Registration for those 35-39 opens on Sunday, which means there's still over a week left of vaccinating over the 40's nationally. People need to seriously stop peddling the myth that Limerick has fallen behind the rest of the country. It's not backed up by any facts and is easily shown to be wrong by the above information.

I put in numbers that were close to the actual numbers of booths and actually used a number for the Radisson that lessens my argument. But yea, I'm on a mission :rolleyes:

You over represented the Radisson by ~17% and under represented the Racecourse by ~4.5%,thats not "close to the actual numbers" that wrong by over 20%, that doesn't lessen your argument it proves your argument to be incorrect.

It's 46 booths against 32 in the Radisson. This information had been posted many times and the links to the HSE website with these numbers have also been provided. You are purposely changing those numbers to suit your argument.

The fact is that that even with the racecourse running only 6 days a week it can do 10000 more vaccinations a week than the Radisson would in 7 days.

It's 46 booths against 32 in the Radisson. This information had been posted many times and the links to the HSE website with these numbers have also been provided. You are purposely changing those numbers to suit your argument.

The fact is that that even with the racecourse running only 6 days a week it can do 10000 more vaccinations a week than the Radisson would in 7 days.

Hold my hands up - I got the numbers wrong.

But using Claremans assumed numbers of about 4 vaccinations per booth per hour and 12 operational hours per day.... Each day the racecourse is closed is potentially 2,208 vaccines not administered.

It doesn't really matter what the capacity was previously in the Radisson if we are simply looking at vaccinating as much of the population of Limerick and surrounding areas as quickly as possible. The Fact is there were no vaccines administer last Saturday in Limerick and there will be none again tomorrow.
    I don't see how anyone can be happy with that in the county with the highest rates even if you say - ah sure we'll catch up later in the week. I believe the only reason vaccine administration should stop is when there are no vaccines available.

But using Claremans assumed numbers of about 4 vaccinations per booth per hour and 12 operational hours per day.... Each day the racecourse is closed is potentially 2,208 vaccines not administered.

It doesn't really matter what the capacity was previously in the Radisson if we are simply looking at vaccinating as much of the population of Limerick and surrounding areas as quickly as possible. The Fact is there were no vaccines administer last Saturday in Limerick and there will be none again tomorrow.
    I don't see how anyone can be happy with that in the county with the highest rates even if you say - ah sure we'll catch up later in the week. I believe the only reason vaccine administration should stop is when there are no vaccines available.
    Nobody is missing out. All available vaccines are being used. This has been stated multiple times by the HSE.

You do realise that there isn't an infinite number of vaccines available and they are reliant of deliveries of a certain amount each week? Just because they have the bandwidth to give out that number of vaccines doesn't mean they have that number of vaccines.

The fact is that every vaccine that is available in Limerick will be administrated, this will mean more people in advance, just because they are closed for a day doesn't mean that there is a day missed, it means that more vaccines are given out on other days.

Nobody is missing out. All available vaccines are being used. This has been stated multiple times by the HSE.

I am not saying there are not been used. I am just saying there are days when vaccines could be administered when they are not been administered. This means you have X amount of people unvaccinated that could have been vaccinated.
    Okay it may only be for a day, and you may see it as no big deal but it is a risk no matter how small.

I am not saying there are not been used. I am just saying there are days when vaccines could be administered when they are not been administered. This means you have X amount of people unvaccinated that could have been vaccinated.
    Okay it may only be for a day, and you may see it as no big deal but it is a risk no matter how small.

It is a risk but it's not a case that everything is delayed by a day, because there is additional space at the racecourse means that more people are being done in advance of the closure.

You do realise that there isn't an infinite number of vaccines available and they are reliant of deliveries of a certain amount each week? Just because they have the bandwidth to give out that number of vaccines doesn't mean they have that number of vaccines.

The fact is that every vaccine that is available in Limerick will be administrated, this will mean more people in advance, just because they are closed for a day doesn't mean that there is a day missed, it means that more vaccines are given out on other days.

Yes I do realise that. But, do you think there are zero vaccines in storage in the Racecourse tomorrow? I'm just of the opinion that any delay even if its a day is not good with the situation we are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

My 28 days has passed since 1st Moderna vaccine, I just rang HSE have they said current waiting time is 4 weeks & 5 days.

No appointment yet! Just posted incase anyone else is waiting.

Advertisement