Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there a breakdown of different regions in Limerick?
    Mind boggling numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,678 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

afro man wrote: »
    Cookiemunster

you do realise Frontline hospital / care homes workers cannot be forced to take vaccine as far as I know it is a voluntary option by them.. Really would defeat the purpose of vaccine if they all did not get vaccinated

I can't think of a single reason why anyone wouldn't want to take the vaccine given what it did to us last year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't think of a single reason why anyone wouldn't want to take the vaccine given what it did to us last year

As much of a cluster**** of a topic this has been please please please please please please don't bring anti-vaccing into the discussion, this really isn't the place for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cookiemunster

you do realise Frontline hospital / care homes workers cannot be forced to take vaccine as far as I know it is a voluntary option by them.. Really would defeat the purpose of vaccine if they all did not get vaccinated
    Absolutely no idea what any of that has to do with my post or the one I was replying to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,867 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In Mallow, any staff that are pregnant or looking to have a child anytime soon are allowed to not take it because no testing was done on pregnant women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭adaminho

Cookiemunster

No one is being forced to!

Honestly I can't see a single (rational) reasons not to take it! I nd a few others on here are trying to bump up the list! I've a sister doing nursing in Guernsey who's already had her first dose!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Ok

Official mod warning, this isn't the place to discuss the pros or cons on vaccines, whatever your feelings are on vaccines feel free to discuss them somewhere else on boards, a regional forum is not the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

Did the test yesterday at 4pm in St Joseph's and got results today at 11am, great efficient service and positive results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,170 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Did the test yesterday at 4pm in St Joseph's and got results today at 11am, great efficient service and positive results!

Good positive or bad positive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Good positive or bad positive ?

lol, good result for me!!

It's not down to any minority some people just don't give a **** , A relation of mine (who i've not been near thankfully) tested postive the other day and is carrying on life as normal , going to funerals , going into shops etc , boils my blood as a sufferer of CF

They should face punishment, high on the spot fines or even a prison term

Anyone waiting on a test result or tested positive should not be out anywhere

I think relative or not, even friend, I'd report them to Gardai and HSE or Dept of Health

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

From the RTE site this morning, thats a stark statement! Hope no one here has to go there!!!
    A consultant in the intensive care unit in University Hospital Limerick said if hospitals run out of "resources" (such as ICU beds) to treat patients with Covid-19 then a different ethical framework would be applied.

Dr Catherine Motherway, the former president of the Intensive Care Society of Ireland said they "devoutly hope that that will not happen".

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, she said there was a "significant burden of Covid disease in the ICU" at UHL, but there was still capacity.

"We really do need everybody in the country to absolutely understand that this is really serious".

Dr Motherway said that going by the first and second waves, around 10% of people in hospital with Covid-19 will require critical care.

"Please God if everyone stays at home and does what they are asked to do we will turn the tide like we did in March."

Dr Motherway said the arrival of a vaccine "gives great hope", but warned that the roll-out could take a number of months, and until then people had to take every precaution to avoid contracting the disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Bedlam in Tesco NCW last week.
    Incident Re masks alcohol Gardaí etc
    Am I allowed share?

Am I allowed share?

If you want to share fire away but remember that the overarching rules apply
    Clareman wrote: »
    Belt away, I don't know what the videos are BUT if they are in any way a breach of the terms or rules of boards you will admonished. 1 other thing I will say is if it isn't clear that the videos are relating to Limerick I will delete your posts but you could try to post them in the main Covid focum.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Am I allowed share?

As long as you aren't identifying a specific person. We don't want someone's ethnicity brought into it.

Editing for clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Absolutely no idea what any of that has to do with my post or the one I was replying to.

Cookiemunster
    see your post below … I just pointed out if Frontline workers or care home staff don't take Vaccines as u stressed every frontline/ care home worker would be vaccininated.. limerick may be left behind

How on earth will Limerick be left behind? The vaccination program is being done on age profile and front line job inportance, not county by county. By the end of February every front line hospital worker and everyone working or living in a nursing home in the country will be vaccinated.
    Then they'll move onto the next people in the list nationally. By then we should have more than one vaccine and fewer supply issues. Limerick will not be left behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,963 ✭✭✭✭banie01

MarkR wrote: »
    As long as you aren't identifying a specific person. We don't want someone's ethnicity brought into it.

Editing for clarity.

As your post isn't bolded, am I ok to assume I'm not querying a mod instruction?

Ethnicity is a social construct.
    There is a preponderance of evidence that it isn't borne out in genome studies, nor is race.

What benefit would such a test have in discussing anyone involved in the video the poster is referring to?
    Genetic testing shows far more variability between individual people, than it does between
    Race and ethnicity don't show up at the genetic level, but the concept of race still forms the human experience.
    Humans share over 99 percent of their genetic material with one another, and variation occurs more between individuals than ethnic groups.

Nat Geo have a handy article here, but if needed I'm happy to share scientific research supporting the premise that ethnic groups are unable to confirmed via genetic testing.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/topics/reference/race-ethnicity/

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    As your post isn't bolded, am I ok to assume I'm not querying a mod instruction?

Ethnicity is a social construct.
    There is a preponderance of evidence that it isn't borne out in genome studies, nor is race.

What benefit would such a test have in discussing anyone involved in the video the poster is referring to?
    Genetic testing shows far more variability between individual people, than it does between

Nat Geo have a handy article here, but if needed I'm happy to share scientific research supporting the premise that ethnic groups are unable to confirmed via genetic testing.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/topics/reference/race-ethnicity/

Very interesting topic but not 1 for a regional forum, please find another forum to discuss this topic if you want

Very interesting topic but not 1 for a regional forum, please find another forum to discuss this topic if you want

Then why did a moderator raise it?

Then why did a moderator raise it?

Are you saying that it was a moderator now? Your original post covered itself by saying you weren't querying a mods decision, now you're saying that you are, which is it?

Are you saying that it was a moderator now? Your original post covered itself by saying you weren't querying a mods decision, now you're saying that you are, which is it?

I said I wasn't querying a mod decision in regard Marks post.
    Was there a decision taken there? Did I miss one?
    Other than editing out his error?
    Or is MarkR not a mod?

I'm querying your post in deciding that a topic of conversation introduced by a co-mod is not for discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Can someone explain the rule regarding this? I understand not identifying a specific person, that's completely fair.

My point is why can we not discuss some of the residents of rathkeale as a group, why can we not talk about the influx of families who arrived to the village and surrounding areas pre Christmas? Surely a rational discussion is allowed regarding what happened considering it is one of the most infected areas in the country.

Can someone explain the rule regarding this? I understand not identifying a specific person, that's completely fair.

My point is why can we not discuss some of the residents of rathkeale as a group, why can we not talk about the influx of families who arrived to the village and surrounding areas pre Christmas? Surely a rational discussion is allowed regarding what happened considering it is one of the most infected areas in the country.

It's that bit at the end about "rational discussion" that's the problem. It always ends up with people posting stupid fantastical stories and making assumptions

• Advertisement

I said I wasn't querying a mod decision in regard Marks post.
    Was there a decision taken there? Did I miss one?
    Other than editing out his error?
    Or is MarkR not a mod?

I'm querying your post in deciding that a topic of conversation introduced by a co-mod is not for discussion.

Travellers are classified as an ethnic group. I guess I erred when I mentioned the genetic aspect of it. I believe we are all clear in my intention at this stage, as I have edited the original post. If you have any other questions about this, please pm me, and leave this thread for discussion of Covid in Limerick.

Feel free to discuss some residents of an area or people who arrived but don't mention their ethnic background or paint a full group of people with the same brush.

To use an example of how a seemingly correct post could cause offence could be if someone was going to accuse some Limerick hurling supporters who went out to watch/celebrate the All Ireland of spreading COVID they could say

All GAA supporters are a disgrace, they don't care about the rules just their own celebrations, they should all be locked up, we've all seen videos on WhatsApp of them all out celebrating and hugging each other, lock them all up or at least don't care for them when they get sick, they don't care about us so why should we care about them?

or
    I saw a video on WhatsApp of some Limerick hurling supporters watching the match in the pub and celebrating afterwards like there was no COVID, I hope the guards identify the people and businesses involved and take appropriate actions.

What we want is a rational discussion, that's what we're trying to get to but by labelling a whole ethnic group for the actions of a few this means we have to step in. I hope this all makes sense.

It's that bit at the end about "rational discussion" that's the problem. It always ends up with people posting stupid fantastical stories and making assumptions

Well said breezy, that is the issue in a nutshell.

Feel free to discuss some residents of an area or people who arrived but don't mention their ethnic background or paint a full group of people with the same brush.

To use an example of how a seemingly correct post could cause offence could be if someone was going to accuse some Limerick hurling supporters who went out to watch/celebrate the All Ireland of spreading COVID they could say

All GAA supporters are a disgrace, they don't care about the rules just their own celebrations, they should all be locked up, we've all seen videos on WhatsApp of them all out celebrating and hugging each other, lock them all up or at least don't care for them when they get sick, they don't care about us so why should we care about them?

or
    I saw a video on WhatsApp of some Limerick hurling supporters watching the match in the pub and celebrating afterwards like there was no COVID, I hope the guards identify the people and businesses involved and take appropriate actions.

What we want is a rational discussion, that's what we're trying to get to but by labelling a whole ethnic group for the actions of a few this means we have to step in. I hope this all makes sense.

But has anyone blamed the entire population of the village? Or that particular ethnic group? Its clear as day that the influx of family members from the UK to Limerick has caused the current problems. Nobody is blaming EVERY member of the ethnic group but the vast majority are definitely to blame for it.

In my opinion of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭phog

Nobody is blaming EVERY member of the ethnic group but the vast majority are definitely to blame for it.

Where's the evidence of this assertion

• Advertisement

But has anyone blamed the entire population of the village? Or that particular ethnic group? Its clear as day that the influx of family members from the UK to Limerick has caused the current problems. Nobody is blaming EVERY member of the ethnic group but the vast majority are definitely to blame for it.

In my opinion of course.

Some posters have and actions have been taken, lots of posts have been deleted or edited, not just in this thread but in others, this is our third attempt at a discussion on this extremely important topic in Limerick, the last 2 descended into chaos, this 1, in my opinion, is going quite well and if that means being overly cautious in mentioning people's ethnic backgrounds I'm fine with that.

That being said, the rules of the thread are clear and are going well, I don't see any need to change the rules or to have any further discussion on thread about our decisions, if anyone would like to discuss it further feel free to PM me, lets go back to the main discussion.

In my opinion of course.

You seem to be blaming them exclusively for the rise in cases however, which is nonsensical, given that there has been an upward trend in every county in Ireland. There is no one single cause, and blaming one group of people for a national issue is scapegoating.

Would agree with the mods on the point of not tarring groups by association.

Managing it is proving to be a pain in the hole for the mods.
    It's not a job I envy the mods.

Would agree with the mods on the point of not tarring groups by association.

Managing it is proving to be a pain in the hole for the mods.
    It's not a job I envy the mods.[/b]

Not being swerved, being avoided altogether, as you have pointed out this isn't an issue that is impacting just Limerick, I'd recommend if you want to continue discussing it that you bring it up in 1 of the main COVID threads rather than just here.

This goes for all posters, not just banie. Please do not bring this topic up again, we have made our position clear and we will not be changing it in anyway, any attempts to bring it up again will result in bans.

Not being swerved, being avoided altogether, as you have pointed out this isn't an issue that is impacting just Limerick, I'd recommend if you want to continue discussing it that you bring it up in 1 of the main COVID threads rather than just here.

This goes for all posters, not just banie. Please do not bring this topic up again, we have made our position clear and we will not be changing it in anyway, any attempts to bring it up again will result in bans.

I think my edit crossed with your post, but point taken :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

3 counties with growing rates of Covid are Dublin, Limerick and Mayo. All 3 were involved in the AI finals. Not sure what it was like in Limerick there but in Dublin talking to the various fans there and the same up here the pubs and hotels were very lax in numbers and duration.
    I know that people blame the visitors to Rathkeale but there is a lot more at play in these counties also.
    I know lots of people who came back from the UK during Xmas and didn't self isolate, add to that a few Stephens night parties in hotels and it has lit the fuse up here.

While I get the frustration and have read some of the reports on the issue, its to easy to point the figure.

yop wrote: »
    3 counties with growing rates of Covid are Dublin, Limerick and Mayo. All 3 were involved in the AI finals. Not sure what it was like in Limerick there but in Dublin talking to the various fans there and the same up here the pubs and hotels were very lax in numbers and duration.
    I know that people blame the visitors to Rathkeale but there is a lot more at play in these counties also.
    I know lots of people who came back from the UK during Xmas and didn't self isolate, add to that a few Stephens night parties in hotels and it has lit the fuse up here.

While I get the frustration and have read some of the reports on the issue, its to easy to point the figure.

Are the case numbers not growing in practically every county

Absolutely they are but the rate of growth is a lot higher in some counties, Limerick currently is third in the 14 day incidence rate table.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20200105%20-%20website.pdf

They are indeed. Mayo, Limerick and Dublin has spikes after the Ai finals.

Some good charts here with the trends for each County.
    Donegal, like Mayo again would have a big influx of people coming home but also a large number of holiday homes.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/coronavirus-in-ireland-latest-county-by-county-data-1053316.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

It doesn't help when certain groups of particular people are bare chested and bare knuckle fighting in the middle of the street on a Monday afternoon..

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/600110/bare-chested-dancing-turns-to-bare-chested-fighting-in-limerick-town.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭phog

It doesn't help when certain groups of particular people are bare chested and bare knuckle fighting in the middle of the street on a Monday afternoon..

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/600110/bare-chested-dancing-turns-to-bare-chested-fighting-in-limerick-town.html

Outdoor sport, just like soccer, football, hurling or rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭maebee

phog wrote: »
    Outdoor sport, just like soccer, football, hurling or rugby

All of which are banned right now.

maebee wrote: »
    All of which are banned right now.

These lads must be classed as elite.

If you notice in the article it doesn't mention "certain groups" or any kind of reference (veiled or otherwise) to their ethnic group, that is all we want here

Is the make shift hospital at UCL closed to be set up again?

Best shirt off pot belly bare knuckle roadside boxers on the planet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Limerick 345 cases today.

1252.4 (per 100,000 population). 14 day incidence Limerick.

Still 3rd highest in Ireland.

Elite Bellends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,778 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Limerick 345 cases today.

1252.4 (per 100,000 population). 14 day incidence Limerick.

Still 3rd highest in Ireland.

According to Limerick today there's a further 9,000 positive tests nationally not yet published - we're not out of the woods yet lads

Panic buying was rife yesterday from the look of Facebook, have we learnt nothing?

Local electoral area data should be updated on the COVID hub today at some point up to 4th of January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

Panic buying was rife yesterday from the look of Facebook, have we learnt nothing?
    The panic buying (if true) could also be weather related

Advertisement