Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Limerick - Mod Warning in Post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

4 or 5 days isn't going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things when there is currently a limited number of vaccines available. We only got 10,000 doses last week and we only got our first large delivery of 40,000 doses yesterday.

Until other manufacturers get the green light, there won't be any major ramp up in vaccinations due to limited supply issues.

I disagree, I think that every day counts in these cases and I can see a situation in march that a lot of the country will start opening up but we will be left behind, it all wreaks of the nasty 'P' word

I'll happily be proven wrong by the way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I disagree, I think that every day counts in these cases and I can see a situation in march that a lot of the country will start opening up but we will be left behind, it all wreaks of the nasty 'P' word

I think this is a topic for the larger COVID forums rather than just a Limerick issue but as can be seen in other countries there are massive supply chain issues, the UK are looking at a 12 week gap between first and second doses which is an unknown, they might even be looking to give different first and second vaccines. Ireland is working on getting out IT systems and a stockpile in place, I think that by taking this approach there maybe a delay at the start but in the long term it will mean that the overall roll out will be better.

Hopefully a second vaccine will be approved this week, then the Oxford one next month, once this happens we'll hopefully be getting ready for the mass roll out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

How on earth will Limerick be left behind? The vaccination program is being done on age profile and front line job inportance, not county by county. By the end of February every front line hospital worker and everyone working or living in a nursing home in the country will be vaccinated.
    Then they'll move onto the next people in the list nationally. By then we should have more than one vaccine and fewer supply issues. Limerick will not be left behind.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The vaccine has already reached Limerick, with the firs recipients getting it yesterday. We are a small country, I don't think anyone in their right minds would withhold it from one county, and send it to another, when everything is so interconnected.

I think we have to trust that the vaccine will be distributed fairly around the country, as quickly as they can manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Some people are jumping from one conspiracy theory to the next

real tinfoil hat stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Bitconfused

Hi All

Ive been given an appointment for a test in the ballysimon centre. Looking online it seems to be a drive through one.

I will be on foot can anyone confirm it caters for people not driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Hi All

Ive been given an appointment for a test in the ballysimon centre. Looking online it seems to be a drive through one.

Oh Id say it does. I passed it today and while busy there is a person directing people and traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tipptatlers

Hi All

It caters for walk ins too. When I was getting tested I saw numerous walk ins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hi All

I walked into the old Parc na Gael one and it was fine. Rare but fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

How on earth will Limerick be left behind? The vaccination program is being done on age profile and front line job inportance, not county by county. By the end of February every front line hospital worker and everyone working or living in a nursing home in the country will be vaccinated.
    Then they'll move onto the next people in the list nationally. By then we should have more than one vaccine and fewer supply issues. Limerick will not be left behind.

Cookiemunster

you do realise Frontline hospital / care homes workers cannot be forced to take vaccine as far as I know it is a voluntary option by them.. Really would defeat the purpose of vaccine if they all did not get vaccinated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there a breakdown of different regions in Limerick?
    Mind boggling numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

afro man wrote: »
    Cookiemunster

you do realise Frontline hospital / care homes workers cannot be forced to take vaccine as far as I know it is a voluntary option by them.. Really would defeat the purpose of vaccine if they all did not get vaccinated

I can't think of a single reason why anyone wouldn't want to take the vaccine given what it did to us last year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I can't think of a single reason why anyone wouldn't want to take the vaccine given what it did to us last year

As much of a cluster**** of a topic this has been please please please please please please don't bring anti-vaccing into the discussion, this really isn't the place for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cookiemunster

Absolutely no idea what any of that has to do with my post or the one I was replying to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

In Mallow, any staff that are pregnant or looking to have a child anytime soon are allowed to not take it because no testing was done on pregnant women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭adaminho

Cookiemunster

No one is being forced to!

Honestly I can't see a single (rational) reasons not to take it! I nd a few others on here are trying to bump up the list! I've a sister doing nursing in Guernsey who's already had her first dose!

Ok

Official mod warning, this isn't the place to discuss the pros or cons on vaccines, whatever your feelings are on vaccines feel free to discuss them somewhere else on boards, a regional forum is not the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

Did the test yesterday at 4pm in St Joseph's and got results today at 11am, great efficient service and positive results!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Did the test yesterday at 4pm in St Joseph's and got results today at 11am, great efficient service and positive results!

Good positive or bad positive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Marty1983

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Good positive or bad positive ?

lol, good result for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's not down to any minority some people just don't give a **** , A relation of mine (who i've not been near thankfully) tested postive the other day and is carrying on life as normal , going to funerals , going into shops etc , boils my blood as a sufferer of CF

They should face punishment, high on the spot fines or even a prison term

Anyone waiting on a test result or tested positive should not be out anywhere

I think relative or not, even friend, I'd report them to Gardai and HSE or Dept of Health

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

From the RTE site this morning, thats a stark statement! Hope no one here has to go there!!!
    A consultant in the intensive care unit in University Hospital Limerick said if hospitals run out of "resources" (such as ICU beds) to treat patients with Covid-19 then a different ethical framework would be applied.

Dr Catherine Motherway, the former president of the Intensive Care Society of Ireland said they "devoutly hope that that will not happen".

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, she said there was a "significant burden of Covid disease in the ICU" at UHL, but there was still capacity.

"We really do need everybody in the country to absolutely understand that this is really serious".

Dr Motherway said that going by the first and second waves, around 10% of people in hospital with Covid-19 will require critical care.

"Please God if everyone stays at home and does what they are asked to do we will turn the tide like we did in March."

Dr Motherway said the arrival of a vaccine "gives great hope", but warned that the roll-out could take a number of months, and until then people had to take every precaution to avoid contracting the disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Bedlam in Tesco NCW last week.
    Incident Re masks alcohol Gardaí etc
    Am I allowed share?

Am I allowed share?

If you want to share fire away but remember that the overarching rules apply
    Clareman wrote: »
    Belt away, I don't know what the videos are BUT if they are in any way a breach of the terms or rules of boards you will admonished. 1 other thing I will say is if it isn't clear that the videos are relating to Limerick I will delete your posts but you could try to post them in the main Covid focum.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Am I allowed share?

As long as you aren't identifying a specific person. We don't want someone's ethnicity brought into it.

Editing for clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Absolutely no idea what any of that has to do with my post or the one I was replying to.

Cookiemunster
    see your post below … I just pointed out if Frontline workers or care home staff don't take Vaccines as u stressed every frontline/ care home worker would be vaccininated.. limerick may be left behind

Then they'll move onto the next people in the list nationally. By then we should have more than one vaccine and fewer supply issues. Limerick will not be left behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭banie01

MarkR wrote: »
    As long as you aren't identifying a specific person. We don't want someone's ethnicity brought into it.

Editing for clarity.

As your post isn't bolded, am I ok to assume I'm not querying a mod instruction?

Ethnicity is a social construct.
    There is a preponderance of evidence that it isn't borne out in genome studies, nor is race.

What benefit would such a test have in discussing anyone involved in the video the poster is referring to?
    Genetic testing shows far more variability between individual people, than it does between
    Race and ethnicity don't show up at the genetic level, but the concept of race still forms the human experience.
    Humans share over 99 percent of their genetic material with one another, and variation occurs more between individuals than ethnic groups.

Nat Geo have a handy article here, but if needed I'm happy to share scientific research supporting the premise that ethnic groups are unable to confirmed via genetic testing.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/topics/reference/race-ethnicity/

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    As your post isn't bolded, am I ok to assume I'm not querying a mod instruction?

Ethnicity is a social construct.
    There is a preponderance of evidence that it isn't borne out in genome studies, nor is race.

What benefit would such a test have in discussing anyone involved in the video the poster is referring to?
    Genetic testing shows far more variability between individual people, than it does between

Nat Geo have a handy article here, but if needed I'm happy to share scientific research supporting the premise that ethnic groups are unable to confirmed via genetic testing.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/topics/reference/race-ethnicity/

Very interesting topic but not 1 for a regional forum, please find another forum to discuss this topic if you want

Advertisement