Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Indoor Camera with reasonable subscription

• 21-12-2020 9:11pm

Move this if there’s a ‘super thread’ type thing for this, I couldn’t see one.

Basically I want a camera to look out on my driveway from an upstairs window (not installing one on the outside wall of the house) with motion sensing and cloud storage. I had a Yi Home that did this for years, which was perfect, but then overnight they multiplied their subscription fee x12 and I’m not even sure it works any more anyway even if I did pay it as the app always wants to ‘set up’ the camera, but even if I go through the process it’ll just ask for setup the next time I open the app.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Arlo Q. No subscription and plugs into a wall socket. Also has some advanced feature and 7 day free cloud storage.

Just be aware that glass can creat a glare that some cameras have difficulty with.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Arlo Q. No subscription and plugs into a wall socket. Also has some advanced feature and 7 day free cloud storage.

Just be aware that glass can creat a glare that some cameras have difficulty with.

Nice one, I’ll look them up. Cheers.

There was a slight bit of glare with the Yi, but it’s the only option in a rental.

Had a quick look at a few videos and write ups there. That looks perfect, ticks all the boxes. Thanks.

Getting one may be an issue with no amazon currently but I’ll get looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why not just stick an SD card in the yi and forget about cloud subscription.

I’ve had YI cameras for years without the sub and recommend them

You actually get 6 second clips stored for free

ted1 wrote: »
    Why not just stick an SD card in the yi and forget about cloud subscription.

I’ve had YI cameras for years without the sub and recommend them

You actually get 6 second clips stored for free

Mine doesn’t any more. Used to pay 20 for the year and now when I “bind” it it’s looking for 20 a month. If I don’t subscribe I lose the feed and connection to the camera.

I’d definitely want cloud anyway as a memory card is easily taken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mine doesn’t any more. Used to pay 20 for the year and now when I “bind” it it’s looking for 20 a month. If I don’t subscribe I lose the feed and connection to the camera.

I’d definitely want cloud anyway as a memory card is easily taken.

I’m not sure what is happening with your Yi camera, you should perhaps contact their support. I’ve got 4 Yi cameras all working fine with SD card and no subscription.

BTW even without subscription the Yi cameras still give you free cloud storage of 6 seconds of recording when motion is detected.

Probably a physical problem with the camera then.

Even if I pair (even after a complete physical reset and pair), this is what my app will show if I go back 5 minutes later:

wR4HM3E.jpg

Regardless, I want more than 6 seconds saved and don’t want to use an SD if I can help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I’m using the Eufy tilt and pan camera at the mo.
    You can stick in a sd card and it will record and you can look back on the app.
    They also offer a hard drive that can sit on your network that will save all your video (They have door bells, indoor & outdoor cameras)

Stay clear of cloud solutions as they all know your stuck with them so sell the kit cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

If you're still looking around and able to get stuff from the US (AddressPal?) then take a look at the Wyze offerings.

I have some of their V2 cameras and they are great. They have a V3 (I think that's what it's branded at) which offers even better low light quality. I use local storage though I think the cloud storage is a reasonable price.

(I actually have a few of their products and am very happy with the quality for the price)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

bk wrote: »
    I’m not sure what is happening with your Yi camera, you should perhaps contact their support. I’ve got 4 Yi cameras all working fine with SD card and no subscription.

BTW even without subscription the Yi cameras still give you free cloud storage of 6 seconds of recording when motion is detected.

Same here - I have 2 Yi cameras - no subscription

• Advertisement

I’ve the Arlo ordered but it’s somewhere unknown out there at the minute.

Weird about the Yi, but it definitely seems to want 20 a month off me. Maybe it’s a foreign firmware model or something.

Advertisement