Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairs versus recycling

Options
  • 22-12-2020 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

Can one get small items, such as pocket radio or remote control, cleaned and repaired rather than throwing them out and replacing them. They still work but need attention!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Affordably? No. You're talking items that cost a tenner so once a professional needs to look at it for about 15mins its cheaper to replace.

There are still a few older style electronics repairers around, though - one specific search that usually finds them is "GHD repairs" as its one of things that's still worth fixing usually, cost-wise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You're talking about the sort of repairs a hobbyist might take on. There wouldn't be the money in it to do it as a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You can purchase a universal remote for anywhere between about 16-25 euros im reading.

A repair place will charge minimum 20 I’m guessing for a repair, if possible to repair, so easier to just buy a universal remote... the same money give or take but a new, fully working product, with receipt and guaranteed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What's wrong with them? For small things like that, I'd recommend opening them up and trying to fix them yourself. There are plenty of places on the internet where you could get help. If you don't succeed, no big loss. If you do, you may move onto repairing even more things yourself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Try a local men's shed maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Look on youtube , how to fix name of item.
    if i have something broken i put it on adverts.ie free ,i gave away 3 laptops.
    its not worth fixing them, but the parts can be taken out and used .its cheaper to buy a new remote or radio than have it fixed ,if the cost is less than 20 euro.pcs and laptops have many parts that can be used in other device,s ,eg ram, hardrives etc.
    a universal tv remote only costs 12 euro.
    powercity will take most items with a plug on them for recycling.

Advertisement