Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display of VAT inclusive pricing

Options
  • 22-12-2020 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi Folks,

Ive noticed Uber Eats are displaying menu prices ex vat and only showing VAT at checkout. Shops can't do this, service providers apparently can. Where does UE fall?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1973/si/9/made/en/print S.I. No. 9/1973 - Prices and Charges (Tax-Inclusive Statements) Order, 1973.
    3. Where, for the purposes of or in connection with the sale by retail by a person of a commodity, the retail price of the commodity is stated orally by the person or by a servant or agent of the person or is stated on the commodity or on any container or wrapper in which the commodity is packed or on a ticket or label attached to the commodity or to such container or wrapper or in a catalogue or advertisement or in a notice or other document (other than an invoice), the price so stated shall be stated as a single amount inclusive of any charge made by the person for any tax payable in respect of the commodity.

I would argue the menu in the UE app, or any food ordering app, is covered by the bolded.

Is it a setting? I know it VAT inclusive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're required to show VAT inclusive prices, yes.

However, they are showing that for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Went to double check it..... (With Burdocks, of course like)

DdcgKIgl.pngL9SOSlYl.png

Service fee, no VAT. Grand. Above board.

But the restaurant that I ordered from that prompted the thread:

3MsOrnAl.png

So I guess they're doing it for the outlets that use UE just for the storefront and do own delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll check later when there's actually places open (I'm in suburbia) to see if there's any oddities with the places that do their own delivery.

• Advertisement
Advertisement