Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

Could be worse...you could have bought it at that!:pac: (I didn't :) )

Anyone still in the DMYD SPAC post merger? (Genius Sports GENI)

Good longterm hold

GENIUS SPORTS BUYS BALLMER-BACKED SECOND SPECTRUM FOR $200 MILLION

https://www.sportico.com/business/sales/2021/genius-sports-second-spectrum-1234629072/

They're a nice hold if you're in pre-rumour for sure. I'm holding HZON awaiting the DA for SportsRadar in the same space - but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it in such a depressed SPAC market in the medium-term.

Have left my SPAC positions where they are (near-NAV in all cases) and concentrated on picking up some TLRY 'cheap' at $16.50 this week only to see it drop to $14 :mad: Very hard to know what's safe at the moment but also started a position in MNMD post-Nasdaq listing at around $3.50. Think that has serious legs even in terms of /r/WSB or similar attention at some point this year.

Also very tempted to start a position in 4D if it trends down below 100GBX next week. Is there any news/issues I'm unaware of here or is it just an unfavourable market for it atm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

pioneerpro wrote: »
    They're a nice hold if you're in pre-rumour for sure. I'm holding HZON awaiting the DA for SportsRadar in the same space - but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it in such a depressed SPAC market in the medium-term.

Have left my SPAC positions where they are (near-NAV in all cases) and concentrated on picking up some TLRY 'cheap' at $16.50 this week only to see it drop to $14 :mad: Very hard to know what's safe at the moment but also started a position in MNMD post-Nasdaq listing at around $3.50. Think that has serious legs even in terms of /r/WSB or similar attention at some point this year.

Also very tempted to start a position in 4D if it trends down below 100GBX next week. Is there any news/issues I'm unaware of here or is it just an unfavourable market for it atm?

4D ticked upwards on the back of a lot of positive news coming around the same time, Merck & Pfizer partnerships, trial updates, US listing. But there hasn't been any real news for a while now and short interest increased on 4d which dropped the price. Looks like a few stop losses were hit yesterday which accelerated the drop. Plus the US listing couldn't have been timed worse, after months of green the listing happens in a sea of red.

The CEO bought shares April 15th and nothing has changed fundamentally about the stock so there's still reasons to be confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Market is crazy, tillray will have another bullrun for sure cant believe its that low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I am waiting to get into MNMD. Definitely a future for that kinda thing just not sure how far they are with it. Need to look into their stuff.

cronos wrote: »

Yes this is funny. Sure Yellen had to backtrack her comments on rates once the market started to slide. Whole thing on thin ice.
    I am just happy I am flat since feb beside few meme stocks that I am refusing to sell.
    The only thing I didnt expect, is crypto climbing further, still don't fully understand that market dynamics.

SmokyMo wrote: »
    Yes this is funny. Sure Yellen had to backtrack her comments on rates once the market started to slide. Whole thing on thin ice.
    I am just happy I am flat since feb beside few meme stocks that I am refusing to sell.
    The only thing I didnt expect, is crypto climbing further, still don't fully understand that market dynamics.

If the Fed said nothing for a few weeks, things would probably be fine.
    Seems like whenever they or Yellen speak everyone panics regardless of what they actually say.

I get the impression that yesterdays report was a warning shot to hedge funds to deleverage and be more careful with playing both sides (shorting stocks they also own).

As retail investing grows, the SEC/fed could come under pressure to increase regulation around hedge funds which I don't think they want to do but can see the growing need for.

Resisting buying any new stocks at the moment, as I want to reduce the number I currently own but waiting for catalysts in a number of them. Added small lots of PLTR and FROG yesterday. Possibly add more FROG today, down 9% pre-market.

Watching CCIV, NIO, AMD, ARRY to see what happens today and possibly average down.

cc87 wrote: »
    The CEO bought shares April 15th and nothing has changed fundamentally about the stock so there's still reasons to be confident.

That's more or less where I'm at with it - I'm just afraid its a tempting short target going forward and will end up seeing weird depression for a year and then breakout like Rocket Insurance earlier this year (RKT).
    Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Market is crazy, tillray will have another bullrun for sure cant believe its that low.

Makes zero sense to me. High Tide similarly tracing back to 1/2 of ATH YTD. I'm filling my boots anyway.
    I am waiting to get into MNMD. Definitely a future for that kinda thing just not sure how far they are with it. Need to look into their stuff.

Yeah unsure of how long a hold they are, but delighted to have a position staked out with the recent uplisting in any case. These guys are serious and in the right space.

That's more or less where I'm at with it - I'm just afraid its a tempting short target going forward and will end up seeing weird depression for a year and then breakout like Rocket Insurance earlier this year (RKT).
    I hopped on UWMC as kinda sympathy play to RKT when it boomed. Bigger company. Got greedy now in red. I think rates impact them negatively.
    Makes zero sense to me. High Tide similarly tracing back to 1/2 of ATH YTD. I'm filling my boots anyway.

Also in on HITIF, thought it would break 0.7 and go to 1.5, I made nice chunk on SNDL so was feeling great about weed stock! There was plenty of good news as well. Didn't matter and now I am slightly in red with it too.

I did add small position on EDR which owns UFC. Just because I am fan so why not.

• Advertisement

Also in on HITIF, thought it would break 0.7 and go to 1.5, I made nice chunk on SNDL so was feeling great about weed stock! There was plenty of good news as well. Didn't matter and now I am slightly in red with it too.

Yeah i'm in from about 0.32 and watched it go up to the 0.7 range happily with limited catalysts. Uplisting this year, and their continuing run of acquisitions, mean that it's one of the few stocks I've been urging to trace back to my original BEP so I can load up some more. Possibly the highest conviction stock I own.
    I did add small position on EDR which owns UFC. Just because I am fan so why not.

I'm a fan of MMA too, and I prefer to 'invest' by buying tickets to Bellator Dublin events :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

And just like that all the gains in Ocugen are wiped out... all to do with the request for Covid vaccine IP to be removed :(

voodoo wrote: »
    And just like that all the gains in Ocugen are wiped out... all to do with the request for Covid vaccine IP to be removed :(

They were also very vague about EUA timelines on the earnings call. Seems COVID outbreak in India is delaying Bharat collecting final data which is needed for the EUA submission. Possibly mid-late June before EUA may be granted.

Big big pump on COVID aligned stuff with EU news today. RLF up +20% (although fell a lot in recent times) and BRPA trading halt.

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

Up to 16$ already today on the back of some fairly weak-ass analyst PT news. Hilarious how little it took to depress it; but back up +15% in about 3 hours today so can't really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

They were also very vague about EUA timelines on the earnings call. Seems COVID outbreak in India is delaying Bharat collecting final data which is needed for the EUA submission. Possibly mid-late June before EUA may be granted.

Yes, very disappointed with end to this week and the call. Sold all my shares around mid 8 to profit at least 10k. Couldn’t bear the thought of hitting 6s or even 5s after it was at 15...

I will try a re entry in the next week or two but I think it might bleed for a bit as they won’t be submitting the application for a few weeks. And market might be a bit wobbly during that time.

Every day / week is a school day I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I was ruing selling my 50% @11.60 for last few days, but now i'm happy atleast I took some profits off the table.

Yesterday it was Fastly's turn, today it's Jfrog

There's this funny new colour showing for me today...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Treppen

Anyone had Canadian Aphria convert to Tilray on Degiro?

I think they rightly messed up my conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Treppen wrote: »
    Anyone had Canadian Aphria convert to Tilray on Degiro?

I think they rightly messed up my conversion.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Jesper

Folks, I'm following a good few Investment Trusts quite closely, I was thinking of setting up an investment trust watch thread (or something like that) and putting interesting articles and stuff as I find them in there, and others can do the same and chat about them, what do we think?

Great idea. B I'm trying to set up a saving/investment account for my god children and I think investment trusts area the best option.
    Unfortunately DeGiro don't currently do them

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Hi, I've been using revolut to buy US shares over the last year or so and I'm getting concerned with how low the dollar could fall relative to the euro. How would you guys recommend protecting against this risk? Only buy stocks in Euro? Only buy dollar stocks with large international business? I've begun the process of opening a degiro account so am assuming I'll have more options compared to revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Hi, I've been using revolut to buy US shares over the last year or so and I'm getting concerned with how low the dollar could fall relative to the euro. How would you guys recommend protecting against this risk? Only buy stocks in Euro? Only buy dollar stocks with large international business? I've begun the process of opening a degiro account so am assuming I'll have more options compared to revolut.

I think you're overthinking it tbh. 1 share still = 1 share and when you ultimately dispose of said shares and convert your $ to €, any slippage would be considered a cost for CGT purposes.

The only way to completly avoid it is to buy stocks on Euro markets, but if the stock you like is in NYSE, I wouldn't worry about it. The growth in share price will cover any currency fluctuations

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭theboringfox

The transaction costs lower on USD stocks so that partly offsets. I am investing steadily over time mainly into use stocks. If Eur strengthens the buying power of my cash rises so offsets in part hit on monies already invested. I invest steadily so should average out.

• Advertisement

The transaction costs lower on USD stocks so that partly offsets. I am investing steadily over time mainly into use stocks. If Eur strengthens the buying power of my cash rises so offsets in part hit on monies already invested. I invest steadily so should average out.

I hadn't considered the transaction costs at all, thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Treppen

Yeah unsure of how long a hold they are, but delighted to have a position staked out with the recent uplisting in any case. These guys are serious and in the right space.

If you are interested in MNMD have a look at Clarify Pharma , due to list on AQSE London .

Founder is Johnathan Bixby of Argo Blockchain .

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210509005049/en/Clarify-Pharma-PLC-Intention-to-Float-on-AQSE-Growth-Market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

PLTR turn today to take a kicking

NVTA floating around a 12 month low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

This is actually starting to hurt, everything red, again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

#diamondhands

It does hurt, in seriousness.

I'm trying to take solace in the fact that in the last two weeks I've bought amongst others, TDOC and Shop at 30 - 40% below ATH's. TDOC in particular I've been buying near the 52 week low.

No guarantees in anything of course but this is "sell in May" in action. As long as you're not trading in and out of positions everyday and have a decent 3-5 year holding period you'll be fine.

Even with the pipeline hack nearly all cyber security stocks down.

It does hurt, in seriousness.

I'm trying to take solace in the fact that in the last two weeks I've bought amongst others, TDOC and Shop at 30 - 40% below ATH's. TDOC in particular I've been buying near the 52 week low.

No guarantees in anything of course but this is "sell in May" in action. As long as you're not trading in and out of positions everyday and have a decent 3-5 year holding period you'll be fine.

My TDOC at 180 is definitely looking expensive. Although everything is looking oversold it appears growth stocks are getting revalued overall. Which a big concern to me anyway. Similar feelings for C3AI, STEM and Amarin.

Bought some BABA at 220, at least it seems stable enough.

My TDOC at 180 is definitely looking expensive. Although everything is looking oversold it appears growth stocks are getting revalued overall. Which a big concern to me anyway. Similar feelings for C3AI, STEM and Amarin.

Same BEP as myself. I'd be pretty confident in it but keep telling myself that if I want the potentially large gains then I have to accept the volatility that comes with it in the interim as we're seeing now, can't have one without the other.

Was tempted to buy MSFT or AAPL as safe haven bets but as another poster said a while back, you get enough exposure to them through your pension. Growth stocks it is!

Caved and bought some C3AI today @54.55.
    Was waiting till later in the year but there's as much chance of it going up in price as there is down even more at this stage

Caved and bought some C3AI today @54.55.
    Was waiting till later in the year but there's as much chance of it going up in price as there is down even more at this stage

By BEP on C3AI is 63.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Anyone getting really pissed off with 4D? Absolutely zero traction since NASDAQ dual listing.

I'd sell but stubbornness is stopping me because I know if I do it will go up 50% in a week. If I ever do sell I'll be sure to let you know here so you can all fill your boots...

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Dipping toe into NOW. Been on watch list for while.

Bought a couple of TDOC puts just to help me sleep better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

got a tip today from Boiler Room on BGFV on line sporting goods. The only green for me in acres of red

Gamma1 wrote: »
    got a tip today from Boiler Room on BGFV on line sporting goods. The only green for me in acres of red

Boiler room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Boiler room?

Great DJ sets but I wouldn't trust them with stock tips...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

retalivity wrote: »
    Great DJ sets but I wouldn't trust them with stock tips...

Nightmares on wax was my favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gamma1

Boiler Room Trading is on this https://discord.com/ and I signed up after an article in the Business Post. Its includes a course on Technical Analysis which I completed about 5% of the content and found it tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭bish76

For the first time, I am actually in RED overall. And I borrowed the money from degiro to buy some dips last week. Now the game of patience starts..... while paying interest to degiro...... and keeping it secret from Mrs..

Summers !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

SPCE earnings tonight... I'm scared

Trade Desk took a hell of a haircut today - down to the $400's from a high in the $900's - 25% down today alone.

Haven't looked through their results yet, headline is that they're doing a 10:1 stock split

$lotz, down nearly 8% for the day and now down a further 12% after earnings.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    PLTR turn today to take a kicking

It's looking tempting to me lately. Might get some tomorrow.

Edit, great article on Palantir...
    https://seekingalpha.com/article/4426825-palantir-highly-favourable-reward-to-risk

This video about PTON was interesting too
    https://youtu.be/Apkuj7rnhx0

Advertisement