Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheBetsy

Yup definitely looks like a day to refuse to log into degiro and turn off all notifications for Yahoo finance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

TheBetsy wrote: »
    Yup definitely looks like a day to refuse to log into degiro and turn off all notifications for Yahoo finance!

On the other hand with the volatility it could be a good day for trading. Premarket OCGN was down to $6.5, up to $8.50 and down again now to $7.5. Seems to be replicated across my stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭VW 1

I've gone from slightly positive overall 2 weeks ago to a slump of -22% as we speak. Not overly diversified, holdings of NIO, BB, PLTR, XL fleet, Qudian and a couple of GME shares. Think I need to stop watching the numbers and come back in a week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I had bought CCIV at 13/14ish. Small position though. Sold it at 40. Then bought back in at 50 I think, sold it at 60. Then, last week bought it at 62. Going to sell it at 35.... in essence. I made no money off CCIV ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭crushproof

I had bought CCIV at 13/14ish. Small position though. Sold it at 40. Then bought back in at 50 I think, sold it at 60. Then, last week bought it at 62. Going to sell it at 35.... in essence. I made no money off CCIV ;(

I'm in a very similar position. Sold out and foolishly bought back in last week. Are you not going to hold? This is the first SPAC I've seen that has plummeted after an announcement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I won't sell below 45 or 50 myself. My average is 17 but I believe in the company.

crushproof wrote: »
    I'm in a very similar position. Sold out and foolishly bought back in last week. Are you not going to hold? This is the first SPAC I've seen that has plummeted after an announcement

Yeah as the poster below said. I probably won’t sell this quick anyways. Many people will jump in at this discounted price, also with potential upcoming news/catalysts and car production starting around May I think, this could go up a bit. Albeit, at the end I will sell at a loss, but just not a massive loss lol. If it can go to 40/45. I’m out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭circadian

Pre-market looking ****ing awful. I expect my stop loss to get triggered on several stocks today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

You can be sure the good stuff doesn't get rattled any way near as bad as the speculative stuff. I'm hoping to pick up Netflix today.
    Red days can be good days too when you are looking to establish positions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭roosterman71

circadian wrote: »
    Pre-market looking ****ing awful. I expect my stop loss to get triggered on several stocks today.

Would you be better to cancel them today? Like if you had a stop loss at $2 and the stock opens at $1, it will sell at $1 and not the $2 you had hoped for, therefore compounding loss or reducing profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭circadian

Would you be better to cancel them today? Like if you had a stop loss at $2 and the stock opens at $1, it will sell at $1 and not the $2 you had hoped for, therefore compounding loss or reducing profit.

Maybe, but I could also be inviting larger losses longer term. I dunno, some of these stocks just haven't performed as well as I'd like and I'm making some losses on them. I suspect the crypto dip is having an effect on the market in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Don't you hate it when you get Degiro emails notifying you of 10% deductions in your holdings.

treatyman wrote: »
    Don't you hate it when you get Degiro emails notifying you of 10% deductions in your holdings.

Yeah shocking stuff, any way of turning this off?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johny33

yes, in settings/notifications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

ha yeah just got one for Velodyne, prob a lot more coming!

CCIV investor call details if anyone is interested in listening today.
    https://twitter.com/gurgavin/status/1364185327288647683
    Doing all that **** after hours was nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Why would you do that? That's the same as burying your head in the sand.
    When I buy a stock I write down the purchase price, then calculate and acceptable stop loss,
    for Blue-chip stocks it's ~10%, for speculative stuff it's ~30%
    If any stock drops below this then they get the chop pure and simple, even if the share price recovers back a few percent to say 7% loss I'm still chopping the stock. I made a mistake now I pay the price pure and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Holding CCIV with a BEP of $22.

Am I right in saying the reason for the big drop after the merger announcement is that there was a side deal struck with private investors at $15 per share for about half the equity in Lucid, thereby diluting what the SPAC investors thought they were getting for their money. Hence the CCIV sp is likely to fall by about 40-50% ?

Can't decide whether to dump today at open or hold out to see where the dust settles. I think around $30 it might be actually a buy/hold. Hearing some great things about Lucid.

bcklschaps wrote: »

Am I right in saying the reason for the big drop after the merger announcement is that there was a side deal struck with private investors at $15 per share for about half the equity in Lucid, thereby diluting what the SPAC investors thought they were getting for their money. Hence the CCIV sp is likely to fall by about 40-50% ?

Can't decide whether to dump today at open or hold out to see where the dust settles. I think around $30 it might be actually a buy/hold. Hearing some great things about Lucid.

That’s part of it, but I think this is a serious case of buy the rumor sell the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Seems to be holding 38 in pre market for the past while. Hard to know where it goes. The whole market is down also. Rough day. Personally prefer not to sell but tough call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

crushproof wrote: »
    Any analysis of CCIV has to be done with a bigger picture, no SPAC has ever gone to $50+ pre-merger. $30-40 is the top end for a SPAC pre-merger.

Yeah that sounds like the issue. Most people (myself included) don't really understand the full picture. CCIV was a $1.8bn SPAC (180m shares @ $10). It made its deal with Lucid when it was about $35, so CCIV holders owned $6.3bn of the "12bn deal" then announced. We've no idea what's in the deal for the other $5.7bn worth of equity. They were mainly to Lucid owners/staff and the bankers who backed the deal. They obviously last night said "if CCIV shareholders can 5x their money $10 - $50, well why shouldn't we too for all our hard work of making the company. So they granted themselves stock at $15. It happens in most SPACs to some degree, this is the most dramatic because the gap from $10/$15 to $50 was so big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

So many times pre-market prices doesn't hold, when the market opens...

Anyone looking to get AirBnB, TSLA looking pretty down as well

Why would you do that? That's the same as burying your head in the sand.
    When I buy a stock I write down the purchase price, then calculate and acceptable stop loss,
    for Blue-chip stocks it's ~10%, for speculative stuff it's ~30%
    If any stock drops below this then they get the chop pure and simple, even if the share price recovers back a few percent to say 7% loss I'm still chopping the stock. I made a mistake now I pay the price pure and simple.

Because i see everything I need to see in the app or on the Degiro Web page. I don't need them sending me emails on top of that

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭1percent

Diairist wrote: »
    And unilever keeps falling ...

I dumped mine at a 4% loss Friday and been happy since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would now be a good time to get into some Airline
    , Cruise, Hotel and Holiday co shares ??

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

So many times pre-market prices doesn't hold, when the market opens...

Anyone looking to get AirBnB, TSLA looking pretty down as well

PLTR, TSLA, NVDA, MSFT all on firesale this week for those who stick to the 'safe' stuff.

Normally i'd say APPL as well, but they had their best Q4 in history last year and are launching their first (shaky) iteration of their AR goggles in the next 6 months so Cook's first hardware play may not get a favourable reception.

I've a bit of a rule against going with Galloway, so ABNB is off the table for me. Too hyped up and a regulatory timebomb waiting to happen in the midst of a global housing crisis.

Robson99 wrote: »

Institutions have been unloading tech for travel sector for a little while now. It's one of the big long-tail COVID recovery beneficiaries, if not the single biggest, but a bit priced in at this stage.

Boeing have basically done the same thing with their airframes that Marge did with her Pink Chanel Suit in that episode of the Simpsons. The 737-MAX and now the 777 literally seem to be unfit for purpose, and they've grounded for the 2nd time in 36 months. That said, their stock some went briefly up even though chunks of the plane were falling out of the sky so... buyer beware I suppose.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/22/investing/premarket-stocks-trading/index.html

SPAC are a good shout for a speculative. Traveloka may go public with BTWN/BTNB, PACQ, and COVA to name just a few. Anything looking to go Public in that sector without dealing with the profit projection issues mid-pandemic that direct IPOs have to contend with, will be going SPAC - so they're a decent play imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

Robson99 wrote: »

Brings to mind a good phrase: "What the wise man does in the beginning the fool does in the end" Your way too late to the party. There may well be another bit of a rise to go but the time to get into these was months ago not necessarily now, most of these stocks are back at or near their 12 month highs, just beware of the risks if your going into these names...we're not totally out of the woods yet, virus wise. (What I'm trying to say is that its no longer enough to go into a sector like hospitality and pick up anything, you actually have to screen your picks within that sector)

I'm going to go heavier into tech/green sector in the coming days providing it drops enough. This is where the future is. (Already in BEPC)

You need to put these pullbacks into context the S&P is up 4% YTD with many projecting it to be at 4,400 by year end (currently 3,850). If your picking up quality stocks you've no need to worry, if your picking up any owl sh**e or jumping into any owl momentum trade then fair enough to worried

jams100 wrote: »
    Your way too late to the party...you actually have to screen your picks within that sector)

This, broadly speaking. Institutional ownership is worth looking up at whatever you're considering in particular.

I'm going to go heavier into tech/green sector in the coming days providing it drops enough. This is where the future is. (Already in BEPC)

PLUG, SGRE and ENPH all worth picking up this week in terms of renewables as they've fallen off a cliff.

BWAC as a SPAC is *well* worth looking at, and is imminent for a DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

pioneerpro wrote: »
    PLTR, TSLA, NVDA, MSFT all on firesale this week for those who stick to the 'safe' stuff.

Normally i'd say APPL as well, but they had their best Q4 in history last year and are launching their first (shaky) iteration of their AR goggles in the next 6 months so Cook's first hardware play may not get a favourable reception.

I've a bit of a rule against going with Galloway, so ABNB is off the table for me. Too hyped up and a regulatory timebomb waiting to happen in the midst of a global housing crisis.

Agree some of these are at great prices now...as you noted institutions adjusting their positions to get into recovery stocks.... was looking at Apple and that's true with the current portfolio of their products don't think they can go further....unless they announce anything new HW or SW (read EV play)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

SmokyMo wrote: »
    Point taken. Was going to post position screenshot but felt that would be too cheesy.
    No you weren't.

Advertisement